CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar

Spin Milled Wedges - Traditional vs. C-grind

I am posting this for my son. He is going to buy a new set of Vokey wedges "Conforming" and wants to know playability regarding Traditional (Standard) vs. C-grind. His 200 Series Vokey's are 250.08 (PW bent to 49.07*), 254.10 (SW 54.10*) and 258.08 (LW bent to 59.09*). He has never hit a C-Grind to compare to the Traditional sole.

Spin Milled Wedges

Looking to buy some new groove conforming Vokey Spin Milled wedges and want some feedback from low handicappers who use them. Should I get sole grind or traditional? What are the pros and cons of each?

I currently use the 200 series with no sole grind and am curious as to the benefits and draw backs of the sole grind option.

Thanks!
    Kind regards, Harry

Quote Originally Posted by TourIQ View Post
    I am posting this for my son. He is going to buy a new set of Vokey wedges "Conforming" and wants to know playability regarding Traditional (Standard) vs. C-grind. His 200 Series Vokey's are 250.08 (PW bent to 49.07*), 254.10 (SW 54.10*) and 258.08 (LW bent to 59.09*). He has never hit a C-Grind to compare to the Traditional sole.
    Anyone have answers?
    Kind regards, Harry

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    from low handicappers
    Hi Harry. Mosly hackers on this site except for a chosen few

Including myself in the hacker category
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    probably a question better suited for golfwrx.com
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I didn't think Vokey made a wedge with a C grind? Are you sure you have the right info?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    It says so on the Titleist website

http://www.titleist.ca/golfclubs/wed...spinmilled.asp
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    So the C isn't really a grind, the CC model is just the conforming grooves I think. You can do a search of the actual grinds vokey does on wedges however it's only available in the higher end model I do believe.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    So the C isn't really a grind, the CC model is just the conforming grooves I think. You can do a search of the actual grinds vokey does on wedges however it's only available in the higher end model I do believe.
    Look at pic 4 of 8 on the top right: http://www.titleist.ca/golfclubs/wed...spinmilled.asp
    The 58.08 and the 60.04 has what I call the C grind and the 58.04 does not.
    It is a relief cut from the sole. Maybe its dependent on the loft.bounce ordered?
    Remember the 200 series Vokey's. Its sole is like the current 58.04 shown in the photo.
    A sales rep at GT told me you could order either grind. Now I am not so sure
    Kind regards, Harry

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Here is Vokey's description of the different grinds he does. Clicking on the 'read more' link will get you the info you want.

http://www.vokey.com/tech_central/page.aspx?id=34#

That said, why not just get your son the wedge to try and test, I don't think people describing it for you is going to really help him one way or the other. You can always sell it if it doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    That said, why not just get your son the wedge to try and test, I don't think people describing it for you is going to really help him one way or the other. You can always sell it if it doesn't work.
    Thanks for the link spackler. You are probably right, try it then sell or keep. I was just thinking maybe someone had already hit the various grinds and could offer some insight.

Right now he is still playing the 2004 200 series high polish chrome for 50 / 54 / 58 (which he has loved), but next summer needs a conforming sets.
    Kind regards, Harry

Fairway Junkie calleygolf is on a distinguished road
    I have a set of the CC wedges right now...playing on mini tours next summer, had to get used to them this summer.

Because his 200 series are old and probably have very little groove left on them he won't notice much difference in spin. But if he was going from the illegal spin milleds (2009 model) to these there is a significant drop in spin, especially from rough. Also giving less control around the greens, frustrating at first but I got used to them.

I'm playing 52.08, 56.11, 60.04, the only one with the c-grind in my set up is the 60...you can tell your son what it provides is a tighter leading edge (to the ground) when the face is opened up ie: to do a flop shot. It doesn't affect the playability factor on a full shot, but it just allows you to open the face without increasing the chances of skulling one. So when he swings it full it will feel and perform just like his current wedge.

What's he playing in next summer that he "needs" them for?

Quote Originally Posted by calleygolf View Post
    I have a set of the CC wedges right now...playing on mini tours next summer, had to get used to them this summer.

Because his 200 series are old and probably have very little groove left on them he won't notice much difference in spin. But if he was going from the illegal spin milleds (2009 model) to these there is a significant drop in spin, especially from rough. Also giving less control around the greens, frustrating at first but I got used to them.

I'm playing 52.08, 56.11, 60.04, the only one with the c-grind in my set up is the 60...you can tell your son what it provides is a tighter leading edge (to the ground) when the face is opened up ie: to do a flop shot. It doesn't affect the playability factor on a full shot, but it just allows you to open the face without increasing the chances of skulling one. So when he swings it full it will feel and perform just like his current wedge.

What's he playing in next summer that he "needs" them for?
    Great he won't lose any difference in spin. He never thought he needed extra spin as he can stop the ball on the green and never really wanted to pull the string with it sucking back off the green.

Your analysis sounds spot on. Do you foresee a problem with him getting the c-grind for all of his wedges 50 / 54 / 58?

I'll answer your last question off line and thanks to all for your input.
    Kind regards, Harry

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Here is Vokey's description of the different grinds he does. Clicking on the 'read more' link will get you the info you want.

http://www.vokey.com/tech_central/page.aspx?id=34#

I called Titleist today and of the 3 loft/bounce configurations (50.08 / 54.11 / 58.08) only the 58.08 has what they call the M-grind on the sole. Now its not a question of getting one of each if you want to stick to a particular loft and bounce.

We will also go Tour Chrome since this is how they do their CC (conforming) wedges.
    Kind regards, Harry

Thread Information