CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood northgolf is on a distinguished road

How high a ceiling do you need?

I am getting a new house and my home office is going to be in a rather large room and there is enough space for a simulator set up. I haven't measured the ceiling, but I know it is at least 9'. I'm 6'3" and I am confident that is high enough for my irons, but I'm unsure if that is enough for me to be able to hit a driver.

So, how high does the ceiling need to be? I know the nets seem to default to 10'.

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    With that setup, will you actually get any WORK done in your home office?

I don't know what height ceiling you might need given your height (and also depending on how flat your swing is). Is the house being built or is it already in place? If it's built already, I'd suggest getting in and just trying a few swings (easy at first!) to see. I'm 5'5", so I know the height would be fine for me!

It's already built. We have an accepted offer on the house and we close Nov. 22. I am pretty sure I'll be able to swing the driver - I'm confident the backswing will fit, I'm just concerned over the follow through. The one statement I've found on the web says 9' 6".

As to getting work done, at least it will encourage me to be "in the office".

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Really depends on your swing. I am 6 feet tall and can swing in my basement which is 9 foot. The irons are fine but the driver can hit the ceiling for sure. Some of my taller friends with crazy swings can't do it.

3 Wood Shreen is on a distinguished road

Talking

Just swing like this.... one of my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS7rix765Zw

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    LOL. That's funny!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shreen View Post
    Just swing like this.... one of my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS7rix765Zw
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

I finally swung a club in my new "home office" today. The ceiling measures out at 9'6" and I was using a TM Superfast driver (36" shaft). While I feel like I'm going to hit the ceiling when I set up, I find when I actually swing the driver there is probably a foot of clearance on the follow through - the backswing is completely free. Plenty of room, but it will take me a while to feel free swinging.

I would probably be good with 9', but I would never ever feel comfortable.

36" shaft? Seems short. I have no problem with my ceilings. It does take time to be comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    36" shaft? Seems short. I have no problem with my ceilings. It does take time to be comfortable.
    Hi Bubba,

yeah, 10 inches short - my bad. 46" shaft which is an inch long compared to current drivers and 3" longer than drivers circa 1994. My old "System 2" TM metal wood is 43" and it dates to '94. My R9 TP is 45" and is about as long as I'm comfortable with.

I know I can't swing clear in an 8' ceiling because I put holes in my parents ceilings with a 5i when I was in my teens (35 years ago and it was on the backswing no less, had to repeat the offense as well - holes, not hole).

Anyway, now that I know I can swing in the space, I'm full steam ahead on doing the sim. Probably an 8X12 screen with a short throw HD projector with a p3proswing grass top claret. In the future I'll trade into a GC2, but the claret seems to be what fits the budget for now.

In all honesty, I posted back on this thread to affirm that a 9'6" ceiling should cover people up to 6'5". Just a small attempt to add experiential data for those thinking about an indoor simulator setup.

Your on the same track as I am. I probably will go with a ProTee sensor system with launch if they develop it soon. I think it is similair to the GSA or Golftek systems. We'll see how they do with the LA option. I'll keep you all posted.

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    I prefer 10 foot ceilings just to make me feel very comfortable swinging a driver.

Bottom line on all current golf sims; we are still waiting on Eutopia!

Eutopia is out there, it just costs 8-10 grand. I am hoping to spend 2-3 grand for ball sensor and launch. I can live with spin estimation.

Thread Information