CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: NHL Lockout

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road
    Looks like there's more dissension among the NHL ranks.
    The guys who don't make 5-6 million/year must be starting to feel the pinch & realize their very careers could be in jeopardy. Either that or their wives are starting to complain

I'm predicting an end to the lockout before xmas...

Andru
    Tell you the truth I don't even miss hockey I've hardly noticed it has been gone.

To be honest, I do miss watching NHL hockey but it certainly isn't something most people spend much, if any time thinking about during their day.
    If they settle great, if not, there's lots of other hockey around to watch.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    As someone who reports hockey, I am feeling the void. I'm also missing it as a fan. Quite frankly, I do not forsee an end to this labour situation in the near future. I'd put the next NHL game at somewhere between Oct 2005 and January '06.

The players who are speaking out are the ones that nobody really pays to watch anyway, so they don't carry any weight unless they band together. Thus far, it has been a series of individual voices speaking out, and not a collective. Sadly, it accomplishes nothing but raising the ire of the guys who ARE a part of the negotiating process.

Replacement players won't work, and would be a step into the coffin for the NHL. Fans won't pay the same ticket prices to watch minor-pro players or borderline NHL players like Rob Ray. Without the revenues, the teams will lose even more money, because their overhead (outside of player salaries) will stay the same.

Assinine situation...

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

7 Iron laxgolf is on a distinguished road

One man's opinion

I blame the owners for this mess since they're the ones who happily agreed to the last CBA AND chose to extend it once while the salaries were spiraling to where they are. The players made the money they did within the terms of the last CBA. They worked well with what they had. The players aren't looking for more money. They're looking for an open market in which they can get what they believe is fair value. The owners need a mechanism to protect themselves from each other. A great example is Yashin. The Sens weren't willing to give him what he thought he was worth, but the Isles happily did by giving him a ridiculous contract that sent ripples across the NHL. 5 or 6 owners are the problem, not the players. What's a player supposed to say when he's offered a ridiculously high contract? I read in the paper that less than 10% of the players make $5,000,000+ and 70% make less than the league average. If this is true, 70%+ is fighting for something they'll never get. What's the point? The NHLPA is in some serious trouble here with the dissention becoming more widespread as each day goes on. The players need to get to the negoitiating table as quick as they can because the owners are not going to break this time around.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by laxgolf
    The players need to get to the negoitiating table as quick as they can because the owners are not going to break this time around.
    If they do break...they would lose a lot of respect from the public who support this lockout and the high salaries.

Quote Originally Posted by laxgolf
    I blame the owners for this mess since they're the ones who happily agreed to the last CBA AND chose to extend it once while the salaries were spiraling to where they are. The players made the money they did within the terms of the last CBA. They're looking for an open market in which they can get what they believe is fair value. The owners need a mechanism to protect themselves from each other.
    I agree with you in theory - what the owners are asking is for the players to protect the owners from the owners, and it's truw, the players did make their money within the terms of the current CBA. When Glen Sather was in Edmonton he used to call himself "a voice in the wilderness" when he would complain of escalating salaries.
    When you look at what Sather has done in NY, it makes just amkes you shake your head. You made the bed Slats, now lie in it.

However, when players whine about just wanting a free market I feel like asking them to locate a good proctologist so they can find their heads. A free market is the last thing the players want.
    Having a CBA by definition means it is not an open market because there is a minimum salary and arbitrators awarding ridiculous contracts. This is not a free market.

I agree with those who say scrap the whole league & start fresh with 20 teams in cities that will watch hockey.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Like Guy Lafleur said recently, the NHL should declare bankruptcy and start fresh.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Andru
    TLR: Total League Revenue
    AS: Average Salary
    ATP: Average Ticket Price

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL: TLR (4.1 billion). AS (2.49 million) ATP: (19.82 )
    NBA: TLR (3.1 billion). AS4.5 million) ATP: ($45.28)
    NFL: TLR ($5 billion). AS: (1.25 million ) ATP: ($54.75)
    NHL: TLR ($2 billion). AS: (1.83 million) ATP: ($48.37)

If you thought the avg ticket price in hockey was high. You're right. An avg family of 4 is just under 200 USD and the attendence sucks. Yikes! no wonder the owners are freaking out.

Quite frankly, if those numbers are true in terms of representing TOTAL revenues, I'm shocked that basketball has managed to survive. I sure wouldn't be sad to see it go, but there's some awfully overpaid individuals in that "sport" as well. Why can't basketball be on hold instead of hockey???? Oh yeah... Inner-city America loves basketball.

Dan

Andru
    Holy geez Broken you're close to crossing a line here.

For one there's only 12 players on a Basketball roster. So theres more money to go around to the players.

Second. There's some revenue not included in the "League" revenue. So owners can pocket some profit. much like the NFL. Not everything is included.

Basketball is a global game It's not as big as football(soccer) but it's growing. Faster than Hockey. The NBA also just signed a deal with China. Talk about opening up the money flood gates.

Player pay should be directly related to the money he can bring in. While it seems like NBA players are overpaid ( and some are ). Most are not. Shaq gets paid 22 million/year but he easily puts 5-7 million in the pockets of the Miami Heat. In tickets sales, jersey's, local tv and radio revenue etc etc etc. 25% return on 22 million isn't a bad investment.

Hockey players are overpaid in relation to the revenue they generate. Do you really think The senators get a 25% return on Alfie? Nothing against Alfie he's a solid guy but if you wanted to get into pro sports (putting aside your bias) would you invest in the NHL or the NBA?

that's the reason the NBA is playing and the NHL is not. The NBA has it's house in order and EVERYONE is getting paid.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar

Hockey's Demise

If the latest article in Forbes Magazine has it right, the owners are fudging the numbers with respect to their losses. This is bound to make the players even more determined to stay out. Unfortunately, their resolve will get them nothing in the end. To the contrary, what Forbes confirms is that a number of the teams are deep in the red. An extended strike will probably kill a few of those teams. This will transform quite a number of guys into ex-NHLers. Those boys better start shooting hoops. Maybe they'll get lucky and find a job in the NBA, a league that is not fixated on self-destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    Holy geez Broken you're close to crossing a line here.

For one there's only 12 players on a Basketball roster. So theres more money to go around to the players.
    What line? What did I say?

As for the revenue/roster size thing, I get it. I'm just saying with an average salary over two times as high, revenue generated of around 150% of the NHL, and 9 fewer players to pay, the NBA would seem like the league that should be in trouble.

Dan

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    What line? What did I say?

As for the revenue/roster size thing, I get it. I'm just saying with an average salary over two times as high, revenue generated of around 150% of the NHL, and 9 fewer players to pay, the NBA would seem like the league that should be in trouble.

Dan
    Overreaction on my part.

I hear what your saying.

Don't forget NBA has no Farm team either. No Sticks., equipment , fewer hotel rooms, food money, insurance (far less risky), etc etc. i think we all believe in the end the players are going lose this battle and if they don't then it's hockey in general in the long run. Besides the red sox and the cool story of 86 years. Baseball sucks. It's the same 5 teams at the top every year.

The NFL is the best league in North America.

3 Iron donh is on a distinguished road donh's Avatar
    Hey guys... I don't know about you... but there has been some really good hockey on TSN since the lockout... No TRAP, no Left-Wing lock!!!!

I know it's "old stuff" but damn it makes be pine for the old days where defence wasn't such a system. To me, there are no winners in this fight, I've posted some "insider" stuff at the top of this thread that makes me think the only winners/losers will be either Gary or Bob, PERIOD. It's personal, very personal and the game IS suffering for it. I know for myself, I really haven't thought of the lockout -- too much other stuff going on, I guess.

Oh well, off to put up Christmas Lights...
    Thanks for the screen-time.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar

lockout

I say,let the season go,fold the n.h.l. and rename it the north american hockey leage.
    with caps already in place.if the overpaid babies dont like it,stay in europe.
    Lower ticket prices,so i can afford to take my familly to the concession stand!

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by covanant
    I say,let the season go,fold the n.h.l. and rename it the north american hockey leage.
    with caps already in place.if the overpaid babies dont like it,stay in europe.
    Lower ticket prices,so i can afford to take my familly to the concession stand!
    Very sensible I'm for that as well. I'd love to go to a game and spend less than 140 for good seats. I went to 4 games last year.

280 a pop for two. That's 1120 plus 200 bucks for dinner and drinks at the game. 1320. That's a HD widesrceen projector!!. I think I know what I'm doing with my hockey money this year.

Yeah Baby. Thank you greedy players and owners for helping me see the light.!!! Geez maybe I'll top up my RSP's with it? hmm 1380. Estimated value of 1320 contributed annually in an rsp at 8% is approx. $70,546.00 with a 4.5% inflation rate. Professional Hockey is looking much more expensive now.

Thread Information