100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Gap Wedge Simages is on a distinguished road Simages's Avatar
    I'm at 8'-4" where the ball is and my GC2 unit is 7'-2. What I have on the ceiling is a cloth impact screen folded over any shots there are knocked down....

Asaillant
    i guess my padding in the cealing needs to be upgraded.....the foam is not like the memory foam...memory foam kills the ball easly.... but the acoustic foam is lighter and only dim the ball....it's ok for lost shot here and there but not for constant hitting.... the problem is memory foam is way to heavy to be hanged into the cealing... maby i will have to put a net up there...

Quote Originally Posted by Asaillant View Post
    i guess my padding in the cealing needs to be upgraded.....the foam is not like the memory foam...memory foam kills the ball easly.... but the acoustic foam is lighter and only dim the ball....it's ok for lost shot here and there but not for constant hitting.... the problem is memory foam is way to heavy to be hanged into the cealing... maby i will have to put a net up there...
    I had memory foam the first time with my ceiling at 9' and I stapled it then used the plastic weed block over it and stapled that as well.
    Attached Images

Asaillant
    Quote Originally Posted by Simages View Post
    I had memory foam the first time with my ceiling at 9' and I stapled it then used the plastic weed block over it and stapled that as well.

how did that worked out? how thick was it? did it kill the shot? why you dont have it anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Asaillant View Post
    how did that worked out? how thick was it? did it kill the shot? why you dont have it anymore?
    Well when I moved the simulator to another room, the tray ceiling gave me an additional 19" making it 10'-9" total. the smaller room where I was launching the ball from 7 feet and a 9 foot ceiling I needed it. the foam was 1 1/2", it came with a non memory foam backing so, I losed a bit. Ordered online and didn't realize.

Ace wbealsd is on a distinguished road
    Nice looking setup, congrats!

Ryder Cup Par2Pro is on a distinguished road Par2Pro's Avatar
    Great job Asaillant! Glad to hear that everything worked out for you as we planned And thanks for the kudos - always happy to help!

Happy Golfing,
    Cory

3 Wood thelono is on a distinguished road

My Protee Sim Room

Hey guys,

Here my dedicated Protee Sim room that I built within my 48'x32' barn.

Some details:

1. Size of room...26'x12'. 11' high. Note 'Lefties Ledge' the build out I did to one of the walls (after it was built!) to accomodate my lefty friends.
    2. Sensor pads are centred 7' off each side wall.
    3. Sensor pad is approx. 10' from screen.
    4 Screen is approx 10'6 wide x 9' high HQ from Cory.
    5. Turf is high quality 3/8" thick from Cory with 3/8" ecofoam underlay from Home Depot.
    6. Walls are 1/2" plywood with Tremclad flat black paint everywhere.
    Room is insulated and heated.
    7. Projector is cheap BENQ ms510 800x600 in 4:3. Looks remarkedly good. I just tried a Epsom 8345 1080p HD projector but it wouldn't let me do 4:3! Back to the BENQ.
    8. I have the Protee up and running with both vcam and hcam. Works pretty good however I still needs some tweaks to sort out the odd missed shot.

Any questions let me know. More pics to follow next post.

Cheers!

2 INSIDE, PRE-LEFTIES LEDGE CHANGE.jpg1 INSIDE-PREPAINT.jpg3 INSIDE, PREPAINT2.jpg
    4 LEFTIES LEDGE 3.jpg5 OUTSIDE, LEFTIES LEDGE.jpg

...and finally.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Looks great thelono. I have a couple of questions.

1: With such a big barn, why did you make the sim room only 12' wide?

2: With 26' of length and a 10' wide screen, why is the sensor pad at 10'? Room for theater seats?

It should be possible to use the Epson for 4:3 if you use a custom resolution of 1440X1080 for Windows. Or you can do as RDH did by setting his 1920X108p desktop(move all icons to 4:3 area) to all black, then running Red Chain in a 4:3 resolution in window mode.
    Last edited by ZMax; 12-13-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Oh crap! One more thing. This is very important. You're going to need a fairway extension panel to attach to the front of the main sensor. Otherwise, you will be tearing up your carpet and possibly wood as you hit down and through on your irons. The putting cable will run underneath the extension panel.

I've mention this several times in various thread and I've posted pictures of my setup showing everything, but Protee and their resellers should be pointing this out to their customers.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    Looks great thelono. I have a couple of questions.

1: With such a big barn, why did you make the sim room only 12' wide?

2: With 26' of length and a 10' wide screen, why is the sensor pad at 10'? Room for theater seats?

It should be possible to use the Epson for 4:3 if you use a custom resolution of 1440X1080 for Windows. Or you can do as RDH did by setting his 1920X108p desktop(move all icons to 4:3 area) to all black, then running Red Chain in a 4:3 resolution in window mode.
    Thanks ZMax...

1. Yes the barn is big however it needs to house a tractor and a horse trailer. There is only 12' between the two front big overhead doors so I was limited to the 12'. My 'lefties ledge extension' extends into the part of the barn where the tractor is but doesn't create too much of a problem.

2. I wanted lots of room in the back of the room for seats and stuff. Plus Protee recommended the 10' distance and its nice when wedges still hit the screen rather than the ceiling (soon to have netting) above. Seem to work OK.

3. I tried what I thought was everything with the epson. Even when I switched desktop resolutions, the epson was displaying 16:9 which is its native resolution even though the manual says it can do 4:3 as well. The manual also says that the aspect ratio when using a hdmi signal cannot be changed..i.e. what ever aspect the computer sends, thats what will be used. I was using the duplicate monitors setting in my computer graphics so either it wasn't sending the different aspect or I am missing something in the Epson. I also didn't like the Epson's lack of keystone correction so its going back to Future Shop today regardless. I really want a HD projector....

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    Oh crap! One more thing. This is very important. You're going to need a fairway extension panel to attach to the front of the main sensor. Otherwise, you will be tearing up your carpet and possibly wood as you hit down and through on your irons. The putting cable will run underneath the extension panel.

I've mention this several times in various thread and I've posted pictures of my setup showing everything, but Protee and their resellers should be pointing this out to their customers.

Thanks again...I was aware of this and you can't tell from the photos (because I hadn't glued it down yet) but the turf immidately in front of the hitting pad is angled down towards the hitting pad, i.e. the flush front edge of the pad is about 1.5" higher than the turf and the turf angles from that point to about 6" past the pad until it becomes level again. I have a couple of sections of fiberbuilt if I need to remodify if I find it doesn't work but so far so good (I've had about 3 games of 18 with 4 players so far).

Yeah, that should work too. I've seen what can happen at a Protee indoor golf facility and it's not pretty.

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    Great setup. Must be nice to see it all finished.

My Viewsonic can do 16:9, 16:10 and 4:3 on the HDMI. While the the manual clams it can't!

But over the VGA connector it has a lot more resolutions then over the HDMI cable

Hybrid mathman is on a distinguished road
    Zmax
    Could you tell me the thread the fairway extension pictures are, I will be starting to put my sim together and was not aware of your concern mentioned in post #253.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    Big question...has it improved the golf yet.

Good work.

Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    Big question...has it improved the golf yet.

Good work.

Haha, by improved do you mean shooting scores 20 above my handicap?

Quote Originally Posted by syhlif32 View Post
    Great setup. Must be nice to see it all finished.

My Viewsonic can do 16:9, 16:10 and 4:3 on the HDMI. While the the manual clams it can't!

But over the VGA connector it has a lot more resolutions then over the HDMI cable
    Its great to finally be playing on the system, I'm thrilled actually....what is the model of you projector? I'm going to give Epson one more try this evening after some tips from Zmax and reading through the post started by RDH. If I get it to do 4:3 then I'll keep it because the picture is fantastic and only about $1300 plus tax I paid.

Looks great! Congrats. It's been taking longer for my project to proceed than I'd hoped, but the interior walls are in and we're hanging the screen and netting today. Still have to get the projector mounted and some longer cabling for the projector from the computer, but I should be "swinging" in a few more days! - lol Pictures coming soon =|;0-)

Quote Originally Posted by mathman View Post
    Zmax
    Could you tell me the thread the fairway extension pictures are, I will be starting to put my sim together and was not aware of your concern mentioned in post #253.
    I will start a thread for it and explain it there with some pics. It will make it easier to find in the future.

Great job thelono!

Glad I could help be a part of that

I FINALLY got my stuff setup enough to be functional this afternoon! Still a lot of details to complete, but I'm at the point I'm able to start swinging!

Thanks to all of the posters here for the great information. I would NOT have pulled this off without you!. Special thanks to Cory, ZMax and ClayDog for their personal assistance "off board" help in putting this all together.
    Attached Images

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    Can I suggest getting the matt black spray paint out and going mad. it will look awsome.

edit: and 4 lcd spotlights top, 2 sides and back all adjustable so not on scrren.

Looking good wbealsd. What are your plans for the walls? Carpet?

Looking great wbealsd!

As always, happy to help

Thanks guys! I'm looking into adding black corrugated carpeting on the sidewalls, which is what the local Austad's is using in the main sim room, ZMax. CPA, I like the lcd spotlight idea!!

BTW, the putting turf I got from Cory cushions the balls dropping from the impact screen REALLY well. They pretty much just drop and roll up to the stance mat. I thought I'd need carpet padding underneath but just rolled it out to test and it works great!

Hybrid mathman is on a distinguished road
    wbealsd
    This week I'm installing a screen in a setup up much like yours. I will be using bungees on a side wall in the same manner that you did. Looking at your pictures i notice waves in the screen. I know you are in "work in progress" but will you be able to adjust the bungees to get rid of the waves? Or when using are the waves not an issue?

Thread Information