CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    Bogie Libbing is on a distinguished road Libbing's Avatar
    I've been assuming people had heated garages! You'd want to check mfg. specs on lowest temp for the electronics. I checked into lowest temps for LCD / plasma TVs a couple of years ago (for just storing, not using) and Michigan gets cold enough to go below those specs. Not sure what happens when it does, but a bit pricey to find out.

Pitching Wedge wzjy47 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Libbing View Post
    I've been assuming people had heated garages! You'd want to check mfg. specs on lowest temp for the electronics. I checked into lowest temps for LCD / plasma TVs a couple of years ago (for just storing, not using) and Michigan gets cold enough to go below those specs. Not sure what happens when it does, but a bit pricey to find out.
    You are probably right. Unfortunately, mine is not. I just thought I'd check. I'll stick with tearing it down.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Yeah, you don't want to leave any electronics out in the garage if you can help it. The PX2 and trigger array might be OK, but cameras, projector, and computer might not be. This is obvious but you do not want to fire up that projector right after bringing it in from the cold.

The cameras now come in a security camera housing I believe so you would just have to disconnect the housing from the mount. As long as you leave the stance mat and putting mat/trigger array in place, it should only take 15 mins to mount the cameras and touch up the calibration. You can also put down tape or markings on the floor to help with alignment. All cables stay in the garage.

Thanks, Z. Thanks what I figured. I wonder how much it would cost to heat my garage...Not all of my kids have to go to college right??

LOL.

rdh has a heater in his garage I think. shouldn't cost that much. you're only there an hour or two at a time.

Yeah, that's definitely on the list of things to purchase.

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    $300 including installation for an electric construction heater for my 20 x 25 foot garage. Very nice at 20 degrees celsius when it is 30 below!

6 Iron Daddyfats is on a distinguished road
    The temps in my garage rarely get below freezing without heat. I use a hanging infrared to keep me warm at the hitting station, but no other heat while I'm using it. It's quite comfortable since there's no windchill to deal with. I do take the projector and computer in the house when I'm finished. Set up and break down time are about 10 minutes.

What simulator do you have Daddyfats?

6 Iron Daddyfats is on a distinguished road
    I've had a DD since they originally came out. Dollar for dollar, probably the best golf purchase I ever made. It's probably cost me about 1penny or less per swing since I got it. I can't say definitively it has made me better on my handicap, but I start out each year swinging better when I use it regularly over the winter and it definitely has no ill effect on my game at all.

Yup, best bang for the buck. And it keeps you loose over the winter. If they would come out with a LA camera add-on for $150 or so, they could take out a few players.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Agree. A ball sensor would really help them. Not sure if it will happen any time soon.

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    I wonder if this topioc shouldn't be a sticky, Bubba. It would be nice if more people would post their pics, too! A picture says a thousand words.

8 Iron netcam is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by psace View Post
    I wonder if this topioc shouldn't be a sticky, Bubba. It would be nice if more people would post their pics, too! A picture says a thousand words.
    Good idea psace!

Andisblue
    I'm planning on building something like this, but no room in the house.
    Could a sim be setup okay in the backyard? Obviously I would bring the expensive components inside for storage, but would netting and impact screen withstand elements? I'd have to use tarp anyways to block out the light .

I notice many of your pictures have a shallow cage, and it seems like a wedge shot would not be caught by that design, true?

Bogie Libbing is on a distinguished road Libbing's Avatar
    The minimum you would go with: laptop, GC2 unit, outdoor hitting net; this would make the setup / take down the easiest. Both a laptop and the GC2 are portable and battery powered. You would just need to look at the laptop to see what the shot did rather than seeing it on the screen. But with a nice big laptop i think that would be fine (plenty of people do that I think). Depending on your budget, outdoor space, etc. I'd start with this and see if it works for you rather than going more elaborate with the screen / projector (which could be added later).
    Next level: add a platform to be able to putt on
    Next level: add a projector / screen / enclosure with tarp

For the projector / screen:
    - I think Vacaville is near San Fran? so no big freezing issues (freeze/thaw might weaken the screen)? if only rain and unless the tarp is always covering it I think the only down side is that the screen will get grungy over time from rain so the picture quality won't be that great? maybe get that PR20 screen that's talked about; that sounds like it would be washable; if the tarp structure is always up (and secure against wind) then I wouldn't think there would be an issue
    - taking a projector in and out is going to add to the total setup / take down time; I'd start without it first to make sure you want to deal with that; I use my sim for 30 60 minutes at a time and love being able to do that; add too much setup time and you might not use it as much over time
    - an issue with a projector / screen will be placement. I'd have to think about it, but most people seem to be ceiling-mounting the projector - assume that wouldn't work for you given need for portability. Might work with a floor/shelf mount but you have to watch out for shadows since you are standing in front of the projector. Would need to think about the angles there. A projector with some serious horizontal keystone correction would be great so you could offset it to minimize shadows
    - this necessitates a structure to hold the screen and the tarp to create a dark enough atmosphere to see the screen; maybe you want that anyway so you can hit in rainy season; with just a laptop to protect, you would need a much smaller shelter for it;

Ace goatbarn is on a distinguished road
    I had a mobile setup. Although indoors. So I don't know how much it pertains to your ideas.

I started out just like Libbing said with displaying the software on my laptop. Worked just fine, and totally adequate for practicing purposes.

For outdoor use, I'd definitely say go with some launch monitor like vector pro or the GC2. And for the cage, you can build the top protective netting as tall as you'd like.

There are many high quality nets/impact panels that are rated for outdoor use with UV protection and moisture/freeze/thaw protection. I'd think you'd be fine with nets.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    If you want a projector etc can I suggest you hide a 9ft 6in high shipping container in your backyard. An old one is pretty cheap.

7 Iron tahosrfr is on a distinguished road
    Hey, I thought this thread was for sim pics?
    Lets see some!

Lob Wedge rodneymiller is on a distinguished road
    I am really interested in seeing some more pics as well. Winter is almost over in my area (PA) but I want to start gathering materials for next winter. I am real limited on space though. My garage door opener is smack dab in the middle of my garage so not confident I can swing a driver in there. The basement is finished and I have room to put one up however I'm not sure my ceiling is high enough. So the more ideas the better.

Sand Wedge gqjeff is on a distinguished road
    its a tight fit but it works..

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    gqjeff:
    You don't have the ball cams setup?
    Is it a putting range?

I know this is a hard to answer question but what are the general ceiling heights in these pics? My basement is finished drywall ceilings so I dont think I can swing a full driver. Obviously I will test when I get home but that's a few hours away yet

We have a little 10/16' green in there. I have the H cam and LA cam with trigger array. Hopefully will be putting them in over the next week or so. I got the other stuff I needed for the CPU today so we can set it up now.

Our ceiling is 13'...

Reading all these posts today gave me the itch, so I rushed home to see what room I could set yp in. No go in garage or basement so it looks like I am out of luck

Anyone who has a sim up in the garage can you post some pics? I need some ideas on how to make it 1. portable so I can get the car in 2. How to work around the garage door opener and the door rails

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    Here are some pictures of my setup. They're old (I've since added a black cloth cover around the cage) but you'll get the point. I have platforms that are screwed to the concrete floor using hinges so I can flip the platforms up out of the way (securing them with chains) when not in use. My project never would have been approved if my wife had to give up parking in the garage.

0015.jpg0012.jpg0013.jpg

Do you now what the dimensions of that platform are and do you have any pics form the other angle looking at your garage? I only ask because I was messing around in the garage yesterday and I couldn't find a spot that would allow me to swing a driver. The rails that my garage door run on get in the way.

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    I don't have a picture that captures the garage door rails, but it wouldn't help you anyway. My garage is fairly deep, so the door rails don't extend far enough to come into play where clubs are swung. The garage door opener is in the middle, but it too doesn't interfere with swings...the simulator hitting pad is almost right below it. It's actually offset a little so a left with a VERY upright swing on short irons can come close to it, but it's still clear.

Thread Information