CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    7 Iron rtto5588 is on a distinguished road

Shafts Affect Handicap?

I have a set of iron club heads which I want to put new shafts in. I was eying all expensive mainstream makes (i.e. KBS, Nippon, Project X, DG etc) vs the not so expensive not mainstream makes (i.e. FST, Apollo, etc). I know people prefer different shafts for different reasons, and I know I should demo these shafts before making an informed decision. However, i was just curious if anyone's handicap actually went way down significantly because they switched from one shaft to another? I'm not talking about moving from a stiff to a reg. I'm asking more about moving from Project X to KBS type of thing.

Let me know your thoughts.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    My handicap dropped from a 3 to a scratch (0) by just changing to a 6.5 rifle shaft cut an inch longer than normal. I haven't been able to find a better fit for me as of yet. Length and accuracy are both better and my shots never balloon even though the trajectory is quite high.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaster15213 View Post
    My handicap dropped from a 3 to a scratch (0) by just changing to a 6.5 rifle shaft cut an inch longer than normal. I haven't been able to find a better fit for me as of yet. Length and accuracy are both better and my shots never balloon even though the trajectory is quite high.

Hard to say if the length or the softer flex or the lie angles did it for you.
    Providing that no weight was added or removed to and from the heads you have consciously or unconsciously increased the swingweight, increased the lie angle to be more upright by at least 1 degree, softened the flex and increased the arc of your swing.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Food for thought. For years just about every tour pro had True Temper Dynamic in their irons. And somehow they did post very low scores
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rtto5588 View Post
    I have a set of iron club heads which I want to put new shafts in. I was eying all expensive mainstream makes (i.e. KBS, Nippon, Project X, DG etc) vs the not so expensive not mainstream makes (i.e. FST, Apollo, etc). I know people prefer different shafts for different reasons, and I know I should demo these shafts before making an informed decision. However, i was just curious if anyone's handicap actually went way down significantly because they switched from one shaft to another? I'm not talking about moving from a stiff to a reg. I'm asking more about moving from Project X to KBS type of thing.

Let me know your thoughts.
    Having gone through the reshafting experience on a few too many occasions, here are my observations

1. For irons - first thing you need to decide is if you prefer steel or graphite. I have tried the steel route, but keep going back to graphite. Personal preference, yours may be quite different.

2. I think the biggest difference for handicap on irons is going from a stock shaft to a higher end shaft. That being said, there are some very decent stock shafts out there. I have yet to find a stock graphite shaft better than the ltb borons I use from Yonex that are over 15 yrs old. Not all stock shafts are crap. These shafts were uber expensive when introduced, now they are no longer marketed and can be found for a very reasonable price.

3. I would try to find some single shafts of brands you are interested in, get a clubmaker to install, and see how it feels to you. Best to try it on a couple of clubs , and do a outdoor range session or two side by side. Its the best controlled way to compare performance before you decide on a full installation. PM me if you need a clubmaker to do this without breaking the bank.

4. Good luck.
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

Thread Information