100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Playing Winter Rules Farzin is on a distinguished road

choosing the side to drop the ball?

On a lateral water hazard,
    Can a ball be dropped on either side of the lateral water hazard? and if it can be dropped on either side, is there any restriction on choosing the side to drop the ball?

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Farzin
    Can a ball be dropped on either side of the lateral water hazard?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Farzin
    is there any restriction on choosing the side to drop the ball?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hill
    Yes.

No.
    Thanks Gary, That is what I needed to hear and I thought so too.

Sand Wedge Guru is on a distinguished road
    The water hazard has to be completely STAKED all the way around for that to 0ccur...because of this ruling some of the Golf courses are now putting one side Yellow stakes and the other side RED stakes if that is the case the answer is No to drop on the other side.
    Cheers gentlemen

Quote Originally Posted by Guru
    The water hazard has to be completely STAKED all the way around for that to 0ccur...because of this ruling some of the Golf courses are now putting one side Yellow stakes and the other side RED stakes if that is the case the answer is No to drop on the other side.
    ABSOLUTELY FALSE.

In such a case, relief is determined according to the status of the hazard at the point where the ball last crossed the hazard margin.

Gary (Rules Nut)...ARE U 100% Sure of yourself .....of the Hazard containing a set of yellow stakes and a set of red stakes.......Check the RULING!!!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Guru, Gary is an RCGA rules official. I bet he's right.

3 Iron kewarken is on a distinguished road
    Gary (Rules Nut)...ARE U 100% Sure of yourself .....of the Hazard containing a set of yellow stakes and a set of red stakes.......Check the RULING!!!
    Betting against Gary on rules is usually a losing game. If you check Decision 26-1/13, you'll find he's correct.

cheers,

Kris

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    uh-oh a decisions book posting... hehe
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

If I have told you once, I have told you a thousand times.    

Gary..and others...I find it amazing that you knew what the ruling was on my comment I made it about a hazard having red and yellow stakes on the same hole..if you would take the time to look at it FULLY...You will see that a local rule would be implaced and therefore the local rule would have final say..Since all of you ( with all repect of course) did not know what my comment was about it .....there is no way you could of given me the CORRECT answer....I gave my comment for the other person to be aware of hazards that contain red and yellow stakes on the same hole...

It is a good thing that u did not bet....Gary try not banging you Head so much into the wall try the Book instead.......it is a lot softer and more knowledgeable..Maybe even for a Carnack ( Johnny Carson)

3 Iron kewarken is on a distinguished road
    I'm really not sure I understand what you're getting at. If you had looked at the decision of golf I referenced, you would see that it is specifically covering the case of a hazard having both red and yellow stakes on opposite sides.

Thus Gary was correct in stating that you were wrong Guru.

cheers,

Kris

Kewarken

RULE 33-2a/7...follow that one back and the word LOCAL is in place which means The Committee decides How the hazard should be played.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hill
    In such a case, relief is determined according to the status of the hazard at the point where the ball last crossed the hazard margin.
    Guru:
    I think the answer to any ambiguity is given above, regardless of local rules.
    however it's nice to expand a situation and get to bottom of it so everybody understands the rulling including me

RULE 33-2a/7...follow that one back and the word LOCAL is in place which means The Committee decides How the hazard should be played.
    1. The Committee cannot decide how a hazard should be played. The Committee may only define the margins of water hazards and lateral water hazards,

2. Decision 33-2a/7 confirms that a given body part of a body of water must not be defined as both a water hazard and a lateral water hazard in play of a particular hole, except in the circumstances described in Decision 33-2a/6.

3. Decsion 33-2a/6 specifies the only exception is a Local Rule determining the status of the hazard dependant upon from which teeing ground the hole is played.
    (e.i. the status of the water hazard is "pegged" by which teeing ground being played. The status of the water hazard cannot change during play of the hole.)

4. A water hazard needs no stakes or lines to be a water hazard.

5. A water hazard need not be "completely STAKED all the way around".

6. It is irrelevant to the determination of relief whether the opposite margin is marked.

7. Rule 26-1c specifically ALLOWS a player to drop on the opposite margin of a lateral water hazard (this cannot be overridden by a Local Rule - see #9.)

8. Decision 26-1/13 clarifies that relief is determined according to the status of the hazard at the point where the ball last crossed the hazard margin (regardless of any other markings on the course).

9. Rule 33-1 states that the Committee has no power to waive a Rule of Golf.
    (even under a Local Rule)

Given the above statements, I fail to see how your original statement is valid.

Perhaps you could clarify your rationale.

Thread Information