100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: HD Projector

7 Wood dvshx is on a distinguished road
    Hey RDH, im stl playn around with my screen settings for GSA. Im just a little lazy to experiment.

Im using an outdated projector which has 2.2K lumens and w/ native resolutuon of only 1024x768. I dont mind the 4:3 ratio because it fills up my screen well.

My ? is... what is the best thing to do. I have the projector connected via VGA connection and I am running it on its native resolution (1024x768). In GSA, I only set graphics to 1024x768.

My projector will accept higher resolution, but am i limited because of the projector's low native resolution??

Thanks

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    That setup is correct. You want to send a signal in the size that matches your projector's native resolution. If you send a higher resolution from windows/GSA Golf (eg. 1400x1050) then your projector will have to scale the image back down to 1024x768 and you will not have as clear a picture. It would probably have the biggest impact on text.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dd_669 View Post
    what cables come with the projector (power and hdmi) and how long are they?
    I ordered the Vivitek from VisualApex over the weekend for $850. They threw in a free 25ft HDMI cable and dust cover. I've never dealt with VisualApex before so I'm hoping that everything turns out alright. The cable and dust cover shipped yesterday but the projector hasn't. Customer service said it's being drop-shipped from Vivitek. I hope I get it by Saturday.

I ordered the screen from CGD and I'm also hoping to get it by Saturday. I can't wait to see how Optishot looks on a 9.5ft screen.

That's a great deal. I just paid $300 more for that projector here in Canada and the dollar is almost at par. Grr...

Quote Originally Posted by rdh View Post
    That's a great deal. I just paid $300 more for that projector here in Canada and the dollar is almost at par. Grr...
    Ouch...Yeah, I normally order stuff like this from Newegg, but they had Newegg beat buy $200 at the time. But if I had ordered it from Newegg, I would have it today. Oh well.

Btw, how far back is your projector?

My projector is a long way back. My previous projector (1024x768, short throw) had been about 12' back from the screen and filled the 9.5' width pretty well (with the corresponding 4:3 aspect height). To get the same height with this one, I had to mount it around 18' back from the screen. It's too bad too because I'd run the cables up and dropped them through the ceiling at the 12' point...grr. I picked up a cable concealer today that I'll run back to the new position.

I'm really happy with the higher resolution image - it looks great. And I was worried that with 1800 lumens and being 6' further back, the brightness would suffer...but it is just as bright as my old projector and I have no issues there. I'm happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by rdh View Post
    I'm really happy with the higher resolution image - it looks great. And I was worried that with 1800 lumens and being 6' further back, the brightness would suffer...but it is just as bright as my old projector and I have no issues there. I'm happy with it.
    That's great to hear. Do you have any pictures of your setup?

I posted some a long time ago on the big DD thread, but I've been meaning to post some on the thread asking for pictures...just haven't had time. I also plan to take a bunch of pictures of GSA Golf at the new resolution to post on here to show the difference (I took a bunch with my old projector before taking it down). Again, gotta find the time...

5 Wood js1010 is on a distinguished road
    RDH, if I understand what you did with your projector by running it at 1920*1080 while setting GSA to 1400*1050 and then changing the desktop to black and zooming the projector to fill your screen with the 1400*1050 image from GSA.

If the above is correct - is there any benefit to getting a 1080p projector vs buying a native 1400*1050 projector instead? Seems you are not using all the pixels anyways?

That's exactly what I did. You're right - with how I'm using it, there's no benefit over a native 1400x1050 projector. I simply couldn't find a comparable 1400x1050 projector as far as price and features. One benefit to the 1080p is that I can zoom it in to make use of MOST of the wider image (I can't zoom the full width in) to show a widescreen movie at a good resolution. It's very, very rare that we do that though, so that ability isn't worth too much to me. If I could have found a 1400x1050 projector at a similar price with similar features, I likely would have bought it.

Okay...I finally got a chance to take some pictures with the new projector to post the comparison images between 1024 x 768 and 1400 x 1050. I've attached four side-by-side images, with the left one being my old lower resolution Epson (EMP-74) and the right one being the new 1080p Vivitek H1080FD. The difference is substantial, but the new projector is also brighter with more colour than my old one. So, you can't attribute the entire difference to the resolution. To assess the resolution difference, focus on the "pixellation" or jagged curves in the image with the old one and the smoother lines with the new one. Hope this is helpful!
    Attached Images

Hmm...it looks like the upload process automatically shrunk my images down. You can't really assess the difference that well on such a small scale...you need to see them larger. I'll see if I can think of another way to post them.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    They do look better rdh.

Going from 768 vertical resolution to 1050 isn't a huge change like going from low definition TV to high definition (480p to 1080p), but it is very noticeable. For anyone that doesn't already have a projector, I'd recommend looking closely at the 1080p options. For anyone that already has a 720p or 768p projector, it's tougher to say if the expenditure is worth the $$$ - it depends how discerning you are for the graphics/appearance of the software.

These pictures were taken with a normal camera. Again, the brightness and colour of the projectors comes into play too. A better approach to see the difference would be running GSA Golf in 1024x768 mode and doing straight screen captures (rather than a camera shot), then doing the same in 1400x1050. Anyway, I figured I'd post the pictures in case they're of interest.

RDh, I am curious if you have tried sending the projector a 1920*1080 GSA image while setting the projector in 4:3 mode to fill the your screen. Curious teh trade off in getting the full use of all the pixels your projector is capable of vs. what is does to stretch the image vertically.

Does it look bad this way?

thanks for your input

I don't think you can do that as my video card detects the supported resolutions of the projector so I don't believe it would let you. It would look terrible even if it did - it would all be compressed. i.e. it would really just be using 1400x1050 pixels (the closest 4:3 mode) and would have to force the image to that size.

If you want 4:3, the perfect approach is to send GSA Golf in 1400x1050 resolution. The pixels come across 1:1 that way and nothing is resized or distorted, so it's very sharp.

I think I explained it wrong - I mean if you set your video card to output 1920*1080 and also set GSA to the same 1920*1080 res. This would obviously give you bars top and bottom and not fill your square screen as well.

What I am trying to figure out is if you were to now select the 4:3 aspect ratio on your projector remote - it should remain at the same res but scale your image to 4:3. YOu may have to use your zoom a bit to fill the screen at this point.

I realize scaling is not the best thing but am curious the trade off between a scaled 4:3 image using all 1920*1050 pixels vs a display with 1400*1050.

It still won't use 1920 horizontal pixels. The projector can't produce 1920 horizontal pixels in only a portion of the width. It has to use the full width to produce that many pixels. Otherwise it's using fewer pixels as soon as it doesn't use the full width (so you end up using 1400 anyway).

8 Iron bubba827 is on a distinguished road
    hey guys i got to ask for some more advice here on projectors......first off i got to say i only have a budget of 400 bucks max on the projector, and I am not afraid to buy a used 1 if it looks legit.....I found 1 i was going to pull trigger on but after some research and talking with the seller he admitted that the projector projected a yellow spot on the screen..well after hearing this i was afraid to pull the trigger on it. So i am back to square 1 and totally lost..,.....my setup would be in a garage with 2 windows but should not have a problem blocking out all the light if needed..I have my optishot already and a platform to hit from and of course a laptop.....soo all i think i need is to decide which projector to use and of course a screen to hit into.....thanks again for all the help and advice ........signed SCARED to death of buying useless projector......lol

I understand i need 1 with at least 2000 lumens and after that i am totally lost...

Oh I was going to buy this 1.... Ebay item number 320628597757 but got scared.....any advice would be great guys......

Ryder Cup Par2Pro is on a distinguished road Par2Pro's Avatar
    Hey Bubba,

$400 is a really tough price point - if you keep an eye out for some boxing day clearances you may be able to get one that is changing to a newer model.

I wouldn't suggest buying a used one unless you know the person who has used it and get confirmation of how many hours are on the bulb (some people can be tricky and reset the lamp counter so be careful). The other problem with used projectors is that some of the bulbs (especially older ones) can be over $400 themselves so I would hate to see you spend $350-$400 on a used projector only to have to pay another $400 on a bulb.

The projector world is really starting to remind me of the ink jet printer world, instead of replacing ink (blubs), people just throw the unit out and buy a new one.

I have seen a good XGA projector or two be on clearance at Staples every once in a while that was around $450 CDN.

Most of the big box stores also have a decent return policy (not so much on clearance items) so you could always buy in on a great deal and return it if you aren't happy with it.

Hope that helps - I have been in that position before and it is tough to be patient, bit it does pay off.

Merry Christmas All,
    Cory

Quote Originally Posted by bubba827 View Post
    hey guys i got to ask for some more advice here on projectors......
    At $400, you don't have much of a choice. Here's one that's on sale if you're in the US. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824116432

What screen size do you want? How wide? 4:3 aspect ratio? HDTV is 16:9. Mounting distance of the projector to the screen?

Good find Zmax - I looked it up and that price is lower than I can get it from my wholesaler! Also, the replacement bulbs are only about $200! Viewsonic makes great products and they have a 3 year warranty.

thx par2pro....I really had not thought about someone rolling back the hrs on the bulbs........now that you mentioned that i am reallly glad i did not buy that 1 I listed in my earlier post and Zmax I would like to have at least a 6ft by 8ft screen and as far as distance for mounting the projector I have a range of 6 feet to 20 feet.....would like 16.9 but 4.3 may have to do.......thanks again guys

unless i read info wrong this projector only has 4.3 aspect ratio?
    Last edited by bubba827; 12-22-2010 at 09:59 PM.

unless i read info wrong this projector only has 4.3 aspect ratio?
    4:3 is the native panel. This what you'll want to use if you go this route. It will display 16:9, but you do not want to that.

4:3 on that screen size with that resolution should be alright, for $400. A step up to 16:9 will run you another $150.

ohh k thx zmax

hey Zmaax I found 1 other projector i would like some input on........I was looking at the http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

and i was wondering if there was much difference between the 2?? Thank u again in advance..bubba

hey Zmaax I found 1 other projector i would like some input on........I was looking at the http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

and i was wondering if there was much difference between the 2?? Thank u again in advance..bubba

Not much in terms of specs. The big difference is the type of chip used. The one from Newegg is a 3LCD and the Ebay one is a DLP.

hey Zmax what is the big difference in the chips used....which would u think would be best to use with a DD sim ??

Hey Bubba,

I know that I am not Zmax, but I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on the Optoma projectors - you could google it to find reviews on that specific model though

Cheers,
    Cory

Thread Information