100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: HD Projector

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    Keep in mind you don't need to use HDMI to get a high definition image. Through a VGA connection your can still send an HD signal. I'll probably be connecting to my new projector with a 1920x1080 resolution by converting my video card DVI output to VGA and then connecting that to the VGA port on the projector. So, don't think you're limited just because your computer doesn't have an HDMI output. VGA is fine, or if you have DVI out and the projector only has HDMI in, you can get a converter for that.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Good point rdh.

8 Iron Bruce Balog is on a distinguished road
    Thanks guys-- I agree about the projector and am very excited to get setup. I should be up and running in a week or two.

Great point RDH. I never knew that, but may look into improving my image down the road.

Gap Wedge Steveh is on a distinguished road
    [QUOTE=bubba22;381807]Steveh you are well on your way. Practice and have fun during the cold winter months and you will see good improvement. Are you going to get the launch angle when it is ready?

As far as launch angle goes, I don't know much about it and so will have to see what it's worth and if it's something I need. I hit the ball pretty solid and if anything too high already(not sure if that's an issue other than in the wind), so probably don't need to work on getting any more height. I also picked up distance towards the end of the season (7 iron 155-160) so am looking to work more on impact angles etc and getting more accuracy when I try to play a fade or draw. I already talked the wife into me spending $2600 instead of the $400 I was going to spend on the Optishot so extras to my system may have to wait. I am new at this but it seems like getting the extra features unlocked is quite expensive. I am finding this forum to be a wealth of information and have been reading lot's of the threads to see what I can learn. Really looking forward to getting up and running.

Fair be it. Finances are always the top priority. I play to a 4 handicap and really feel knowing how high or low you hit the ball (launch angle) is important for me. Not only can you practice the knockdown , flop shots etc but it will tell/show you when the ball is not struck right. That coupled with the angle of attack is very useful info. At least you have the option of upgrading later down the road when you want more. As you know in golf, you always want more and are always trying to improve, even the best players in the world. Really enjoy the sim.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by rdh View Post
    I'll probably be connecting to my new projector with a 1920x1080 resolution by converting my video card DVI output to VGA and then connecting that to the VGA port on the projector.

Would that not result in a loss of picture quality due to the digital to analog conversion. Perhaps your video card can send a VGA signal out of it's DVI port? I've seen VGA to HDMI and it was unacceptable.

SteveH,

Does Cory have any more used P3proswing?

Thanks

From what I can see, there's zero loss in quality. The computer is sending a 1920x1080 image, and the projector is showing it pixel for pixel directly, so there's not quality loss.

I just did a quick search, and it looks like there can be some loss in quality, but it's hard to notice it:

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion...hp?t50789.html

From what I can see, there's zero loss in quality. The computer is sending a 1920x1080 image, and the projector is showing it pixel for pixel directly, so there's not quality loss.
    I just did a quick search, and it looks like there can be some loss in quality, but it's hard to notice it:

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion...hp?t50789.html
    So you haven't done it yet?

Putter dd_669 is on a distinguished road
    Im about to put my system together and would like to know what the best projector to buy is?

Depends on your budget. 720p is popular and looks great. rdh just tried a 1080p Vivitek and loves it. Read the threads and you will find several projectors suggeted.

i was going to get the necnp905

Yeah...you didn't really give any info at all. It depends what you want for resolution, how much brightness (lumens) you need considering ambient lighting in your environment, what image size you want and how far your projector is from the screen ("throw" distance). There are a LOT of variables to consider in selecting a projector. I know...man, I spent a lot of time looking at options!

Screen size is 9.5 X 9.5 feet

im in a garage with all emerald green surrounding me.

lighting can be adjusted to the best setting.

distance from screen would be a maximum 16 feet.

budget is max 1700$

See...now with that information I can make a recommendation.

I just bought a Vivitek H1080FD for $1124 plus taxes and shipping from Tiger Direct. They accept returns, so I bought it figuring I could return it if I wasn't happy and you could do the same. My screen size is the same. The projector needs about 16 feet distance from the screen to get an image that will ALMOST fill the width of your screen in a 4:3 aspect ratio. If you're happy with widescreen (still filling the width, but smaller height obviously) then you can mount it closer. I have blinds to cover all the windows in my garage to reduce light, but I have two overhead track lights (90W) for my device that throw a fair bit of ambient light. Even with that, the image is good. So, I'd suggest giving this projector a shot. Worst case, you can return it if you're not happy and try something with higher lumens. The image looks great to me, but i'm not a super videophobe (is that a word?) that picks up on little imperfections (a lot of websites commented on rainbow effects from the colour wheel or something like that).

i have no windows in my garage so is pitch black the best?

It goes without saying that the darker the room, the better the image will look.

I am looking at boxing in my overhead track lighting to reduce the light it throws. My projector image was better with the Optishot (I now have a Golftek device) since it didn't need any lighting.

i plan to go with p3proswing cory has been a great help. he sells the NEC np905 as the top projector thats why i was going in that direction. what is your opinion on p3p optishot and golftek?

Read the forum and you'll get the general consensus on that. It's basically a matter of you get what you pay for. Optishot is amazing considering its price. P3Pro is a definite step up. The golftek is a great device with the launch angle added, etc., but it's more than double the price of the P3Pro. I think people can be very happy with any of these devices really. They're all extremely cool!

I'll be honest...the np905 is brighter than the projector I bought, but given that your environment is nice and dark, I think you might be better served to look at the Vivitek or some other 1080p projector. The bottom line is that the resolution indicates the sharpness and detail of the image you'll get. The np905 is 1024x768. A 1080p projector will produce a 1400x1050 image (for a comparable 4:3 aspect ration). 1050 vertical pixels is 36% higher resolution than 768 vertical pixels, and it definitely makes a difference. I know because I've just upgraded from a 1024x768 projector myself.

BUT...you need to have a video card that can handle the software in the high resolution. If your video card can run the software (assuming you're looking at the 37 new courses) in maximum quality at 1024x768, but only low or medium quality in 1400x1050, then you may be better served by the lower resolution unless you want to upgrade your video card (which you could along with the Vivitek projector for less than the price of the np905).

ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB is the video card i was going to go with i havnt bought anything yet but would that work?

You beat me too it rdh. Good answer. Really depends on your finances and expectations.

I just bought a Radeon 5870 this week myself. It was $449 on Monday at Tiger Direct. Late this week ATI released their next line of cards, and the price on that card instantly dropped by $80. I'm getting a price guarantee credit from ATI, but you might want to re-check pricing and thing about the 58XX line if you go with higher resolution. I'm not a technical expert on this stuff though...you'd have to research online to assess the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by dd_669 View Post
    Im about to put my system together and would like to know what the best projector to buy is?
    I'm in the same boat as you. I have already ordered the screen and all I need now is the projector. I've been thinking about the Vivitek that rdh just bought and it sounds like a good one. Two HDMI is a plus and a throw ratio of 1.6:1(16X9 width) puts it at 15ft for me. There's currently a rebate for a free 80" screen and mount. I'll probably buy it in a few minutes.

The only hitch with the promo is you have to pay for shipping...and it's $120 US if you want the screen and the mount. I don't need the screen, so I could get the mount for $50 shipping, but it's a 2-4 week waiting period to get it so I think I'm going to pass. I'm too impatient and want to get this set up this week so I ordered a different mount (for $99).

The only hitch with the promo is you have to pay for shipping...and it's $120 US if you want the screen and the mount. I don't need the screen, so I could get the mount for $50 shipping, but it's a 2-4 week waiting period to get it so I think I'm going to pass. I'm too impatient and want to get this set up this week so I ordered a different mount (for $99).
    Which mount did you get?

Btw, there's something I would like to know about the Vivitek. If you feed it a 1920x1080p signal, can you set the projector to display it as 4:3? Where everything is tall and skinny? Or does it go into auto mode and you can't change it?

Thanks

I bought a Mustang Universal Spider Projector Mount from tiger direct. I seem to give them a lot of business.

I don't know what happens if you set the projector to 4:3 mode but send it a 1920x1080 signal. I don't know why you'd want to do that anyway...if the projector scaled it to 4:3 format, it would be distorted (not 1:1 pixels) and would look silly since it would be very compressed and narrow. If you need 4:3 ratio (like I do) then you can set the projector to 4:3 mode and feed it a 1400x1050 screen size, or leave the projector in 16:9 mode but set the software (depending what software you're using) to send a 1400x1050 window size. I posted more on that earlier in this thread.

I bought a Mustang Universal Spider Projector Mount from tiger direct. I seem to give them a lot of business.

I don't know what happens if you set the projector to 4:3 mode but send it a 1920x1080 signal. I don't know why you'd want to do that anyway...if the projector scaled it to 4:3 format, it would be distorted (not 1:1 pixels) and would look silly since it would be very compressed and narrow. If you need 4:3 ratio (like I do) then you can set the projector to 4:3 mode and feed it a 1400x1050 screen size, or leave the projector in 16:9 mode but set the software (depending what software you're using) to send a 1400x1050 window size. I posted more on that earlier in this thread.
    I've read that post and what you're doing make sense. I have the Optishot and I didn't see that resolution or anything close to it in the settings. As for the distortion, I was thinking that it might not matter for a golf sim, but I haven't seen it yet.

Once I get it all setup, I might be happy with the 16x9 image from Optishot.

How much vertical movement do you have with your image?

Vertical movement? You mean how far can the image be below the projector? I think it has 30 degree keystone correction, which is the same as my old projector. My old one was mounted about a foot below the 11' ceiling and worked fine for my setup (tilted downward at the screen).

what cables come with the projector (power and hdmi) and how long are they?

my cieling is 9foot should i get a flush mount for the projector or the extendable one?

Thread Information