CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: HD Projector

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    Alright...I'm gonna play with this projector I ordered, then if it's not ideal I'm going to return it and maybe look at the Optoma TX761 or a similar one with a 1400x1050 resolution. The optoma is 3200 lumens too. Wait a minute...GSA Golf doesn't have a 1400x1050 resolution option. UGH!

Okay...I quit. I think the site I saw on that Optoma TX761 was wrong - it looks like it's a 1024 x 768 projector. There's too much incorrect/conflicting info on these projectors online. I'm not thinking about this any more for now...my head hurts.

Me again. I contacted Dean at Red Chain to ask about resolutions, and he said the software will support whatever hardware is available. So, if you were to hook up a 1400x1050 projector (for example), an option should then show up for that resolution.

I think as long as a 1080p projector has an option under Windows to set the resolution to 1440x1080, then I would be all set. I don't know if 1080p projectors have a setting like that though.

8 Iron netcam is on a distinguished road
    rdh: Did he say if the courses are designed for that high of a resolution or they just getting "stretched" up to that size? i.e. regular TV on a high def TV...

Ryder Cup Par2Pro is on a distinguished road Par2Pro's Avatar
    rdh - wow, sounds like you are going through the same battle that I always do - I want to find the latest greatest projector for my clients without breaking the bank. I have just ordered a BenQ MX711 so we will see how that one tests out

Yes, the GSA Golf software will render in high resolutions...it doesn't just scale them. It looks really good on my laptop screen in 1920x1080, so we'll see.

The resolution stuff would be pretty straightforward if I had a widescreen setup - just set the video card and the monitor to 1920x1080 and away you go. Because I'm going 4:3, it gets complicated. I don't fully understand how everything ties together for that. The projector I got says it supports 1400x1050...but I don't know if it actually cuts 30 pixels off (which is what I'd want as it would maintain a 1:1 "true" pixel representation) or if it scales the image to fill its 1080 vertical pixels and keep the full screen size (which is NOT what I want...scaling is bad).

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    It is a little confusing. rdh you are not setup for wide screen now are you?

No. My impact screen is 9.5' by 9.5'. If I go widescreen format 9.5' wide, I'm worried it will be way too much space at the top and bottom of the screen and a smaller / less immersive image. I was thinking I could just use 1920x1080 and let the image bleed off the sides...but then the main bottom left menu would be off the screen, and so would the player info in the upper left. Anyway, I'll play with settings on the new projector to see what works...hopefully something!

Is 1400x1050 the native resolution of the projector?

No - it's 1920x1080. So, in my mind, if I could set it to run at a 4:3 ratio resolution of 1440x1080, that would be 1:1 pixel representation. And to my way of thinking, all 1080p projectors should support that screen size (it only makes sense to have a 4:3 option using the full vertical resolution), BUT they don't seem to have that. The 1400x1050 option is the closest size listed in the projector manual. I'm just not sure if you put it into that setting, whether it will truncate 30 pixels (to keep 1:1 representation) or whether it will scale the image. Me confused...

I think it really depends on the projector and its firmware RDH, in my mind I would think it will "scale" the 1440x1050 resolution to the image but there might also be a setting to turn that off. Also if you have a newer Nvidia or ATI card you should be able to setup a custom resolution that is scaled correctly assuming GSA will allow you to use it. Take a look at your driver settings they are usually very helpful for these sort of things.

Have you looked at the projectorcentral calculator for you new projector? Im not sure which one you went with exactly (sorry if it missed it in the thread about) but on the Optoma you noted here is link, it is really handy for showing the screen size difference in widescreen vs. 4:3.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm

Thanks netcam. I have been using that calculator quite a bit - it's a great tool!

I won't have time to play with the projector until Friday, so I'll see what my options are then. I do have an ATI 5850 video card, so I'm good there.

Gap Wedge disco2424 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Balog View Post
    Psace, what projector do you have, and how much was it? I need to project about 13 feet from my screen, and would love to get an image as large as yours. I'm having a hard time finding a good projector.
    Hey Bruce,

I just picked up my projector last night and I love it. It's a Sony VPL EX7 I bought it online at pc-canada for around 530 bucks. I was a little concerned about the lummens being a little low but the lamp life is a little longer then normal. I have it sitting around 12 feet from my wall and it projects a 8 foot screen. This is with the zoom turned as low as I can. From the little use I've had with it the picture looked great and this was on a beige wall.

If your looking for a cheaper priced projector I would highly recommend the Sony.

Gap Wedge disco2424 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Balog View Post
    Thanks Disco. Is the image 8 feet long by 8 feet high? I might look into this, as my projector budget is about $500. I was hoping for a 7 feet high by 9 feet wide image, so it falls within my parameters.
    Yes the height was about 7 feet and the width was 8 feet. If needed to can be expanded as I had it zoomed all the way down. I did notice as well that when using VGA you are able to adjust the size of both height and width. Hope this helps.

8 Iron Bruce Balog is on a distinguished road
    I may have found a projector that fits my criteria. This one is only $400 and seems to be pretty good. Does anybody have an opinion on it?

Only problem is the image size is a little smaller than I was hoping for. Question for anyone: Does the image size calculation based on the throw distance compensate for the zoom feature? If I can add a 20% of the size after zooming, then the image will be plenty big enough.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/ViewSonic-PJL7211.htm

720 projector. Specs seem ok but contrast ratio is somewhat low. 2200 ansi should be ok. How bright is your room? Should do you fine.

Okay...I set up my 1080p projector temporarily (need to install a mount further away from the screen) to assess if it will cut it with 1800 lumens. I'm happy to say that it looks fantastic. Plenty bright enough, although I think I may look at boxing in my track lighting (with venting for heat and access to change bulbs) to reduce ambient light anyway. The darker the room, the better the image period.

The image quality is a nice step up from my old projector. It's a clearly noticeable difference. So, I'm glad I tried this $1,100 one (Vivitek H1080FD) and didn't spent $2K. It's going to work great for me. The images in GSA Golf look better in general, but it makes a huge difference in the green grid. On my old 1024x768 projector, the grid lines were very pixellated. Now they're nice and smooth. ALTHOUGH...the pixellated appearance made it clear when there was a slight (1 pixel) break left or right. With the smooth grid lights, slight breaks are much harder to perceive. I'll live with it though.

My resolution questions are now answered as well. If I set the projector to 1400x1050, it does what I did NOT want - scales it to fill the full 1080 height. BUT...when I set it to 1920x1080, and set GSA Golf to 1400x1050, GSA Golf renders its window in the center of the desktop. So, it works perfectly. I set the windows desktop to a black background and moved the start menu and all icons off the projector image and onto the monitor (I have extended desktop set up). It looks like I have GSA Golf running in 4:3 aspect at 1400x1050...and I have the 1:1 pixel representation I wanted. So, all is good.

Once I get it mounted, I'll try to post some pictures. I took a bunch with my old projector already to compare too.

Looking forward to seeing it RDH!

Fantastic rdh. Could be a great find for those looking to go up to 1080p. I too am interested in your pics.

My room's brightness level will be moderate during the day due to sunlight peaking in, but the room should be pretty dark when the sun goes down. What is your contrast ratio, Bubba? I really liked that this projector had a nice resolution, XGA capabilities, over 2,000 lumens and excellent reviews. I might try and buy it from a place that will let me return it if I am not happy.

Mine is 1000:1 i would certainly try it for the prie.

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    The contrast is very low for a projector. My Epson HD705 is 3000:1 and 2500 lumens. You can get it from Amazon for about $650 new. It is very well rated and excellent for home movies.

Gap Wedge Steveh is on a distinguished road
    How do you figure out the distance to mount the projector from the screen? My ceiling is about 9-1/2ft and I should end up with an available impact screen area about 9' high by 10' wide. I have never used a projector before. The projector is a NEC NP400. Do you just position it by trial and error until the image fills the impact screen and then mount it from the ceiling at that distance?

Steveh, Take a look at this site and give the calculator a try. Also sometimes the manufacture (NEC) also provides a calculator to figure that out as well.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/NEC-...ulator-pro.htm

Thanks netcam. I have bought a used setup. The seller figured he had it about 12 feet away but it didn't fill the screen. Using that calculator it looks like I can put the projector about 16-1/2 ft away hanging from the ceiling and get 8-1/2 X 10' image. As soon as it shows up I will try it out, I am thinking a bigger image will be better. I am new at this so will have to get it working first. Lot's of info on here to take in and figure before I can actually get to swing a club at a ball. I am looking forward to getting everything working, it will be so much nicer than just swinging into an empty net.

You got that. What sim do you have Steveh?

Ok, you guys convinced me about the contrast ratio. I found a much better projector for a similar price and pulled the trigger. It is regularly $600 and I got it for $480. It should arrive in a couple days. Only thing is I just found out my computer does not have HDMI capabilities, but I don't think it needs this in order to run the P3Pro. Am I correct in assuming the P3Pro shows a non high-definition image?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Epson+-+...=1218110870215

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    You got that. What sim do you have Steveh?
    It is a P3proswing (Claret 4.1 with grass top). I found a slightly used one advertised through Cory at Par2pro. I bought the complete setup with N4 screen, frame, projector, a camera and a mat. It should be here right away. I also have a Fiberbuilt mat that is really nice for hitting irons but will have to see if I can mount the sensorpad into it. I have only golfed for 2 seasons but have been steadily improving and want to keep working on it through the winter.

Steveh you are well on your way. Practice and have fun during the cold winter months and you will see good improvement. Are you going to get the launch angle when it is ready?

Bruce you are right in that the p3pro doesn't need hdmi to run. Quality of the picture is better with hdmi just like the tv but it should be fine. That projector is much better.

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    Very similiar to my projector Bruce and it will work much better for a few dollars more.

Thread Information