100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21

Thread: HD Projector

8 Iron torreypines is on a distinguished road
    [QUOTE=DFDubb;513351]IMO build the biggest cage / screen that you can fit even if you don't fill it up with the image. Mine is 18x9.5 and I have about 8 inches on both sides not being used by the image, but I'm glad it's there. I think your getting hung up a bit on the perfect screen size to projector mating combo. Projectors wear out, tech changes, you might find 1 you like better, etc...Your screen is likely a 1 and done deal, do it right
    Input much appreciated.

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    Torreypines.
    I would go 1920 x 1080. But all very individual how important the picture quality is.
    Would delete the VPJD7820 from the list had it for a short time but it has a lot of issues with both menus and uniform focus.

Maybe add Optoma HD26/ 141x to the list. It came out very affordable in US.
    Good advice from Dubb make the screen big and then add black frame around actual picture size you are happy with.

In general you will get a better picture with a longer throw projector. Short throw PJ tend to create a 'hot spot' in the center and have uniform focus issues. But are great for making a large display in a small space.

Are you going to use the projector for other purposes? Movies or gaming?
    For movies you want better colors while for gaming/ simulator use you need low lag.

Quote Originally Posted by syhlif32 View Post
    Torreypines.
    I would go 1920 x 1080. But all very individual how important the picture quality is.
    Would delete the VPJD7820 from the list had it for a short time but it has a lot of issues with both menus and uniform focus.

Maybe add Optoma HD26/ 141x to the list. It came out very affordable in US.
    Good advice from Dubb make the screen big and then add black frame around actual picture size you are happy with.

In general you will get a better picture with a longer throw projector. Short throw PJ tend to create a 'hot spot' in the center and have uniform focus issues. But are great for making a large display in a small space.

Are you going to use the projector for other purposes? Movies or gaming?
    For movies you want better colors while for gaming/ simulator use you need low lag.
    Great insight! Only for golf simulator. What is low lag?

Quote Originally Posted by torreypines View Post
    Great insight! Only for golf simulator. What is low lag?
    Syhlif32.
    Able to find HD25LV and HD 26. However the throws are 24 ft and 23.8 ft, respectively. Thus too far of throw for my footprint. I can go as far as 19 ft for throw perhaps 20. Thanks

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    'Lag' is the time it takes for the projector or monitor to display the picture.
    Doesn't matter for movies and for golf simulator software but for race sim you need low Lag <30 ms and for FPS gamer they like even less.
    Many of the new 2014 projectors got Game Mode settings like modern Tv's where all the eye candy is turned off.

If you check out the avsforum (displays under $3000) you can get info about most projectors you are looking at

Quote Originally Posted by syhlif32 View Post
    'Lag' is the time it takes for the projector or monitor to display the picture.
    Doesn't matter for movies and for golf simulator software but for race sim you need low Lag <30 ms and for FPS gamer they like even less.
    Many of the new 2014 projectors got Game Mode settings like modern Tv's where all the eye candy is turned off.

If you check out the avsforum (displays under $3000) you can get info about most projectors you are looking at
    Again thanks for your help.

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road
    There are quite a few things to take into account when planning a projector purchase and install.

Several of the projectors listed have no "offset" - they basically project like a flashlight - the image is projected equally above and below the projector. There is no way to avoid shadowing without using the "keystone" adjustment to compensate for the image offset. Keystoning will rob you of effective pixels and reduce image quality.

The one projector in your list which does have a built in "offset" is the Optoma EH200S. It also has reasonably high lumens - 3000, compared to the others. With your size of screen, you'll need as many lumens as you can afford for a decent image.

Have a look at the Projector Central calculator at http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm. Plug in 226" for your diagonal and you will see that the projector offsets by 18". That means that you can mount the projector at 111" + 18" = 10.75 feet high, and not have to reduce your pixel count by keystoning the image.

By appearances that projector also won't break the bank.

And I have to second DFDubbs advice about not getting hung up on a specific screen size. Exactly as he says, technologies will change, and if you have a bigger sreen, you'll have more options in the future.

There are also limits in terms of the materials that are available for impact screens. Right now it seems that 10' is the maximum width of the material that is available, so you likely can't go higher than 10' in height. but don't shortchange yourself by making the screen less in height.

Thanks AJA. I will probably go with 9.9 x 16ft screen. Will a vertical lens shift have a similar function as offset? My concern with that particular distance was a throw just under 8.5 feet.

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road
    Hi!
    Vertical "lens shift" is more accommodating than the "fixed lens offset" than some projectors have. "Lens shift" is variable and adjustable depending on the specific projector. Lens offset is fixed.
    I wouldn't be overly concerned about the throw distance. (I may be biased, but my projector is mounted at about that distance.) The further away you are, the less lumens you'll have available for your image.

Also looking at Ben Q HT 1085 ST. The newer version of 1080 ST. Has vertical shift. Thinking of purchasing this one and Optoma EH 200S and see which works best with my sim footprint before installing.

AJA, DFDubb. I totally agree that maximize screen size/quality is crucial since this will not change much whereas as projector technology is constantly evolving. I know you may think I am getting caught up in finding the perfect projector but concurrently want to maximize the picture quality. I have played multiple sims (HD Golf, About Golf, Full Swing Golf, Foresight, etc) with different different projectors for the respective simulators. And when everything was equal (i.e. software, screen, etc) there were significant differences in imaging quality/playing experience. Having said that does anyone have an opinion or experience with either of the below projectors.

The footprint for my simulator is 12 feet H, 21 feet D, 17 feet W. My screen size: for 16:9 aspect ratio 16ft by 9 ft; for 16:10 aspect ratio 9.5 ft x 15.1 ft.

BenQHT1085ST 1920:1080/16:9. L 2200. contrast 10,000:1. throw ratio .69 -0.83. Projector 13.2 feet from screen. (screen 16 x 9 ft), has vertical shift

Panasonic PT-V2570U. native 1920:1200/16:10. L 4800, contrast 10,000:1. throw 1.1 x 1.80. Projector would be 17.2 feet from screen (screen 9.5 x 15.1). has vertical shift.

8 Iron DFDubb is on a distinguished road
    I don't have personal experience with either PJ's so take this for it is. I doubt all of the above SIM's you played on had the exact same screen material and software settings. Admittedly they all had different PJ's and who knows what settings and ratios they had them set to. What I'm suggesting is to pick your screen material and build it as big as you can. IE 17'W by 10'H or hell even 11' since you have the room. That way you have more than you would ever need and it gives you infinite options with regard to PJ's. From there, image quality will depend strictly upon how high end of a PJ that you wish to buy and how you set it up.

This is just my personal experience here so also take it for what it is. I live in SoCal, on an awesome private course where I can play year round so I might not use my SIM in the same hardcore fashion as some of you that are snowed in for half the year. I rarely use my SIM and in fact only fire it up after a particularly bad round where I want to see what it is that I'm stumbling with. I have an Epson PL 730HD that is keystoned and shifted as to not cast a shadow. I find that it looks great, but to be honest, I'm far more concerned with what is going on with my golf swing than I am with just how crisp the graphics looks. In fact, if I had it to do over again in my current house, I would nix the whole screen/PJ and just use a net with a TV mounted on the wall in front of me. With that said, I had people over to watch the Super Bowl last year in my SIM room and people couldn't believe how good it looked in HD on the west coast PR20 impact screen (not at all made for HD TV).

I'll bow out now, hopefully someone here will have exp with the PJ's you mentioned. I've had my SIM setup in 3 different houses with 3 different PJ's over the past few years and it is all still very confusing when trying to narrow it down to one. Good luck.

brianhicks
    Has anyone on here worked with the Optoma EH200ST yet? Specifically, does it live up to the 2800 Lumens (and higher FL numbers) compared to the BenQ W1080st? The stats are in line with what I'd like for a new build, but I can't find many hands-on reviews online.

Thanks in advance.

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    I would not say that the w1080st is bright! I would say it's the bare minimum you would want.

Sand Wedge Scratch is on a distinguished road

Have you purchased a projector yet?

Quote Originally Posted by torreypines View Post
    Also looking at Ben Q HT 1085 ST. The newer version of 1080 ST. Has vertical shift. Thinking of purchasing this one and Optoma EH 200S and see which works best with my sim footprint before installing.
    Torrypines,

I was curious if you purchased a projector yet? I am about to receive my GC2 and had similar room dimensions... I was wondering if you had any advice?

Thanks,
    Doug

Putter tbarra is on a distinguished road

GC2 Projector

I ended up going with the Benq W1500 short throw projector. I love it and it is more than bright enough for me. My simulator is in a room with no windows and very little ambient light but I think it would be fine with a lighter environment. Good luck!

Pitching Wedge DeaconBlooze is on a distinguished road
    I don't want hijack, but here's my situation/setup. I'd appreciate any advice!

Garage Stall
    10x10x10 enclosure
    P3 Proswing
    Ceiling mount projector

Projector wishlist
    Short throw
    4:3 capability
    720p capability
    *Horizontal offset compensation
    $650 or less

*I'm not sure if this is a possiblilty. I'd like to offset my projector to the right, since I'll need to swing further right in my enclosure.

Does anyone have any suggestions based on those parameters?

Thanks!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Torrypines,

I was curious if you purchased a projector yet? I am about to receive my GC2 and had similar room dimensions... I was wondering if you had any advice?

Thanks,
    Doug
    I like the Panasonic PT-VZ570U (some website use PT-VZ570 - I discussed with Panasonic and state that the "U" means it was made it the USA). WUXGA resolution (1920x1200), 4800 Lumens, contrast 10,000:1, 44% vertical lens shift, can project a 10 x 16 ft image with a 17.7 ft throw distance. I am unable to find an equal with these specs.

Thread Information