100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Bogie GoingLow is on a distinguished road GoingLow's Avatar

Lining up your ball on the Tee

Hey folks, hoping someone can answer this juan.....

As you know many people put a line on there ball for putting purposes ( line em up ) and I was playing with a good friend yesterday who now has placed that line for his Tee shot, aims the line down the left, at the pin wherever...

I am almost positive this is illegal eh? I told him I wouldn't call it on him in our game of nassau but in a tourney he would be called on it....we made a friendly side wager....

Thanks in advance,

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    You can do as he is doing on the tee, but unless you are playing lift clean and place you cannot touch your ball again untill the green.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    You can do as he is doing on the tee, but unless you are playing lift clean and place you cannot touch your ball again untill the green.
    Strictly speaking, you are allowed to line up your ball ANYTIME you are allowed or required to place or replace your ball. This includes lifting at the request of an opponent or FC off the green, placing a ball after unsuccessful drop attempts, etc - not just when playing LCP.

Yes of course.

Bogie GoingLow is on a distinguished road GoingLow's Avatar

Lining up

Thanks guys, appreciate this....

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Strictly speaking, you are allowed to line up your ball ANYTIME you are allowed or required to place or replace your ball. This includes lifting at the request of an opponent or FC off the green, placing a ball after unsuccessful drop attempts, etc - not just when playing LCP.
    But beware.

21/5 Player Lifts Ball Under Rule Not Permitting Cleaning and Rotates It When Replaced
    Q. A piece of mud adheres to a player's ball. The player lifts the ball under a Rule which does not permit cleaning. When he replaces the ball, may he place it facing another direction so that the mud would not interfere between the clubface and the ball?
    A. Yes, provided the ball is replaced on the spot from which it was lifted. However, if the player rotated the ball in such a way so as to "tee" it on the mud, he would be in breach of Rule 20-3a.

5 Wood Shushu is on a distinguished road Shushu's Avatar
    Man...I think that's smart...I'm going to start doing that too. Cool. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by GoingLow View Post
    Hey folks, hoping someone can answer this juan.....

As you know many people put a line on there ball for putting purposes ( line em up ) and I was playing with a good friend yesterday who now has placed that line for his Tee shot, aims the line down the left, at the pin wherever...

I am almost positive this is illegal eh? I told him I wouldn't call it on him in our game of nassau but in a tourney he would be called on it....we made a friendly side wager....

Thanks in advance,

Waste of time. Your eyes are so far offset from being over the ball at address that it's pretty useless. It works for putting though.

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    Actually, I use a small line on my ball when I tee off to help concentrate on hitting the inside part of the ball. Its a trick I learned on Golf Fix, that keeps you from going over the top on your swing.

I don't spend 30 seconds lining it up like I do a putt, I simply place the ball in the general direction.

Really helps me hit a nice draw.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Exclamation Alignment

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Waste of time. Your eyes are so far offset from being over the ball at address that it's pretty useless. It works for putting though.
    That's an interesting point Dan. Would be an interesting to align the ball/stripe, then before taking your address position "set" your club face (as some players do while putting) behind the ball, perpendicular to the alignment line on the ball. THEN take your stance and see how much out of alighment your club face is vis-a-vis your normal address position.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    That's an interesting point Dan. Would be an interesting to align the ball/stripe, then before taking your address position "set" your club face (as some players do while putting) behind the ball, perpendicular to the alignment line on the ball. THEN take your stance and see how much out of alighment your club face is vis-a-vis your normal address position.
    I don't know if that would work, but I will try it, sounds interesting.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    I always tee my ball up with the makers name at the back...it's just habit and helps me keep my head/eyes behind the ball (in my mind at least)

Thread Information