100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge ping66 is on a distinguished road

Greensmere Survivor Challenge

Anyone know what kind of score it takes to finish in the $$ for each format? How many teams do they have for each catagory? Is it full yet?
    http://www.greensmere.com/main.shtml?Survivor Challenge
    Last edited by Nat Williams; 10-06-2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: fixed link.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Don't know much about this tournament except that I'm entered in it (teamed up with jvincent). It hadn't even occurred to me that there would be prizes for best score in each format, although now that you mention it... it seems pretty obvious that they would.

It would be interesting to know what the scores were in previous years. I'd also like to know what tees we'll be playing from.

Bogie GoingLow is on a distinguished road GoingLow's Avatar

Survivor

I played Greensmere yesterday and was told we will be playing the Black Tee's in this tourney. I am unsure of payout's and scores in the past as I have not played in this tourney in a long time.

Also to note: they punched the greens on the Legacy Course yesterday and they are punching the original course today, very odd but anywho they said they will cut them twice and roll them before tourney, but in my opinion the greens will be very inconsistent, as they were yesterday.

The new 18 ( or 2 nines.... whatever ) on the legacy are overated from what I have heard on this forum. I hope they have us play lift, clean and place through the green on several holes as a few are in rough shape. Some were holding, others not..........also with the punched greens the 3-5 ft's were a nightmare...

See you there....

And juan more answer, they had only 5 spots left open for the Mens draw......

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoingLow View Post
    I played Greensmere yesterday and was told we will be playing the Black Tee's in this tourney. I am unsure of payout's and scores in the past as I have not played in this tourney in a long time.

Also to note: they punched the greens on the Legacy Course yesterday and they are punching the original course today, very odd but anywho they said they will cut them twice and roll them before tourney, but in my opinion the greens will be very inconsistent, as they were yesterday.

The new 18 ( or 2 nines.... whatever ) on the legacy are overated from what I have heard on this forum. I hope they have us play lift, clean and place through the green on several holes as a few are in rough shape. Some were holding, others not..........also with the punched greens the 3-5 ft's were a nightmare...

See you there....
    The Legacy course has been mark, lift, clean and place all year due to the rain. I think its in pretty good shape for its age................1!

Hole #2 is the only one that really gets wet.

Just remember this has been the wettest Aug + Sept, likely ever, (we just about broke the record each month for rain.) My house is just around the corner from Greensmere and my basement is wet for the first time in Sept/Oct.

I'll be Surviving the Survivor!! Can't wait!
    Last edited by stevek; 10-06-2010 at 07:41 AM. Reason: sp

Team Match Play Champ 2009 geronamo is on a distinguished road
    What is the quality of play for this event? Wide range of players? Anyone know the winning score in past years?
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE 2007 & 2009 OTTAWA GOLF RYDER CUP CHAMPIONS!!!

Sand Wedge ping66 is on a distinguished road
    Im sure the usual suspects will show up in this event. Koski, Mcgee, Bernard....Jerimiah Sheilds is doing his 2 year waiting period to regain his amatuer status, so Im sure he wont be there (this could cost him another 2 yrs).

Im sure you will have to shoot -3 on each 9 to win???? I never played this event before but im sure the scores will be good.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    If the quality of play is that good, the only prize I'll have a great chance at would be the "most honest golfer" prize.

Survivor

Yes the scores will be low, would be lower I would guess if the greens were not punched.

I know a few teams in this tourney and none of them have a higher handicap than about 6-8......

Good luck...

Here are my expectations for the various 9-hole formats for my team (combined index = ~9):

Alternate Shot - Even with the modified format (2 tee balls to choose from), I'm thinking even par will be a heck of a score. One really bad swing at any time could mean double. At least there will be two chances to get one close at the Par 3s... but even then only a single birdie putt to work with.

Best Ball - My target here is -2 or -3. As a team, par on every hole should be pretty likely... it's just a matter of whether one of us can sneak in a birdie here and there.

Chapman - This is an interesting one. We each hit off the tee, switch balls and hit again and then play alternate shot from our best ball at that point. So potentially two runs at birdie on Par 3s and two chances to get it close on Par 4s. My target for this nine... -1 or -2.

Scramble - Obviously, this should provide the best chance to go low. If we're on, I would hope that we'll be -4 or -5 for this nine. If we're not... we'll, let's just hope we are.

Of course, I've never played in this type of event... so it'll be interesting to see how close (or far off) my predictions are. As is normally the case, it'll likely all come down to making putts.

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    +1 was second place last year, not sure what won it.

Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    Hmmm... perhaps my expectations are a bit aggressive then.

Having said that, I think they're possible... but we'll need to play our Sunday best.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I'll make sure to bring "good John" on Friday.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    Thom said the alternate shot was the toughest to manage, all i know if i was playing alternate with John i would try to play around his driver off the tee.

5 Wood Thom Panikorn is on a distinguished road

The challenge

Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    That's in the "senior" division. The winner in the senior was even par last year. We were +1 and finished 2nd. We made 7 birdies and 8 bogeys. It's just we made mistakes in the same holes therefore bogey as a team for the holes.

For the open division, you have to shoot in the -2 for each nine at least to have a chance.

Last year 2nd place we got our money back. We didn't win any skins. It's very well run tourney and if the weather cooperates it can be a great fun because of the format. Make sure you are in "really" good term with your partner though. It could be a long day otherwise!

Good luck for all of you playing this Friday.

And Habsfan, bring your four clubs and three balls for our Saturday match, and, OH don't forget the cash!

Thom

5 Wood schlafer is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Panikorn View Post
    That's in the "senior" division. The winner in the senior was even par last year. We were +1 and finished 2nd. We made 7 birdies and 8 bogeys. It's just we made mistakes in the same holes therefore bogey as a team for the holes.

For the open division, you have to shoot in the -2 for each nine at least to have a chance.

Last year 2nd place we got our money back. We didn't win any skins. It's very well run tourney and if the weather cooperates it can be a great fun because of the format. Make sure you are in "really" good term with your partner though. It could be a long day otherwise!

And Habsfan, bring your four clubs and three balls for our Saturday match, and, OH don't forget the cash!

Thom
    Isn't getting your money back for second place a lousy payout ?

You must have placed high in most formats to come second overall, so between high placings in the formats and second overall, shouldn't you have made some $$ ?
    Last edited by schlafer; 10-07-2010 at 06:16 AM.

I had a great time in the Survivor Challenge yesterday. The weather was as good one could hope for in October. I was a bit concerned that we might not be able to squeeze 36 holes in before sunset but it wasn't really an issue. The quality of the food at the dinner was excellent as well.

jvincent and I finished at -7. After hearing that McGee and Koski (who were playing in the group right behind us) finished at -19 we figured we'd likely be fairly well down in the pack. As it turned out though, we finished 5th!

Our scores for the various nines / formats were:

Modified Alternate Shot: +1
    Better Ball: -2
    Chapman: -2
    Scramble: -4

We both hit a lot of very good shots, but I'd have to say the highlight of our round was probably John's 4-wood to about 20 feet on the par 5 18th hole on the Legacy course in the scramble format. And the low-light was probably both of three-putting from the aforementioned position... including both of us missing an 18-incher for birdie. Doh!

Oh yeah, I mentioned that McGee and Koski were playing right behind us. They were hitting balls in places that... well... it's almost unfair! On a few occasions when I had hit my 100% best drive, I was seeing that they were 20-30 yards closer. Time to hit the weights I guess.

I'm really looking forward to playing again next year.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    It was a perfect day for 36 holes with 84 teams entered including 10 teams of ladies. Here is a link of a few of the people that I know are on this forum.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Gerry.Bo...Challenge2010#

I took pictures of all the groups and a few other shots. I think next year this tournament will fill up quickly as it's a fun format.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    I had a great time in the Survivor Challenge yesterday. The weather was as good one could hope for in October. I was a bit concerned that we might not be able to squeeze 36 holes in before sunset but it wasn't really an issue. The quality of the food at the dinner was excellent as well. I'm really looking forward to playing again next year.
    Congratulations on your good play.

Having played in the Survivor every year, actually winning it once in the pre McGee/Koski era, Friday's tournament was the most enjoyable of them all for me. The weather was obviously a factor and while our play won us a significant reward, even though our play was less than stellar, what made the day great was our fellow competitors, Mike Kelly and Rick St. Denis.

While they are arch rivals in all the senior tournaments, and still excellent golfers at all levels, they displayed the qualities that make playing the game a lot more fun - respect, thoughtfulness, and consideration, in spite of the fire in their belly's to win, plus the quality of their shot making. A great day and thanks to Tyler for all of his work in putting the tourney together.

Thom
    How did you do this year?

Is there somwehere where the results are posted?

5 Wood Thom Panikorn is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by schlafer View Post
    How did you do this year?

Is there somwehere where the results are posted?
    We didn't do well this time. Sometimes you just know that you don't have it. I was at the driving range before the round and i knew i didn't have it. i am not the kind of guy that hit balls before the round. We don't have driving range at Hautes Plaines therefore I rarely hit balls before I play. That morning i knew i didn't have it. I rather find out that i don't have it after a couple of holes playing, not before. Any how, we played 2 over on the chapman where we started, even par on the scramble, then three over on the alternate, and two under on the best balls. We were one under on the alternate until i shanked my seven iron on my approach shot to make double! We never rocovered after that. I was aiming for even par for the tourney and that would have put us at tying for third. Oh well, happens, right? Always next year.

Thom

We didn't do well this time. Sometimes you just know that you don't have it. I was at the driving range before the round and i knew i didn't have it. i am not the kind of guy that hit balls before the round. We don't have driving range at Hautes Plaines therefore I rarely hit balls before I play. That morning i knew i didn't have it. I rather find out that i don't have it after a couple of holes playing, not before. Any how, we played 2 over on the chapman where we started, even par on the scramble, then three over on the alternate, and two under on the best balls. We were one under on the alternate until i shanked my seven iron on my approach shot to make double! We never rocovered after that. I was aiming for even par for the tourney and that would have put us at tying for third. Oh well, happens, right? Always next year.

Thom
    -5 won the senior division

-19 must be a record !! Too bad they don't post the scores, it would be fun to see their scores on each hole.

Thread Information