100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Bogie tmacgolf is on a distinguished road tmacgolf's Avatar

hitting out of turn

I'm sure I could find this easily on google, but I thought I would ask here first. Is there a rule about hitting out of turn? Either on the tee, fairway or green? Is it the same during stroke and match play?

To avoid slow play, my regular group plays "ready golf" and we only stick to honours off the tee after a birdie, so I was just curious if this would be against tournament rules or if it is just an etiquette issue.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    No penalty in either format.
    In Match Play your opponent can ask you to replay the stroke in turn without penalty.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    The only thing to watch in strokeplay is, that if two players agree to play out of turn to give one of them an advantage, they are both DQd.
    eg one putting first to show the other the line.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    What if they are in the same foursome and part of a larger team event but playing the other 2 guys in singles matches. One decides to putt first but is much closer and virtually on the same line to the hole thereby showing the line to his teamate? This would give his teamate an advantage in his match.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hybrid oldmaninblack is on a distinguished road
    In a team match play event (fourball) the team which is away may elect to have either player play (30-3c)

If you are mixing in singles match play in the same round (??), the singles opponent could ask you to replay the shot with no penalty, but it would stand in the fourball.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I am not sure I explained myself, here it is again. It was 2 singles matches in the same foursome representing 2 teams (1vs4, 2vs3 with 1&2 being on the same team of another 6 players in other matches the same day and 3&4 being on the other team). The teamates played out of turn on the green thus showing the other teamate the line. This benefited the teamate in his match, is this a breach? If os what is the penalty? I just want to know for info sake.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    I am not sure I explained myself, here it is again. It was 2 singles matches in the same foursome representing 2 teams (1vs4, 2vs3 with 1&2 being on the same team of another 6 players in other matches the same day and 3&4 being on the other team). The teamates played out of turn on the green thus showing the other teamate the line. This benefited the teamate in his match, is this a breach? If os what is the penalty? I just want to know for info sake.
    Unfortunately Luc, this is very difficult to answer. The matches themselves are two completely separate games being played concurrently within the same group of four. Technically, singles matches should be played in groups of two only, because there are problematic situations that can arise when separate matches converge.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

I know, it was more for information sake, I found it to be a grey area as well. no harm no foul
    Lefty Lucas

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I know, it was more for information sake, I found it to be a grey area as well. no harm no foul
    I'm going to send a note to the RCGA to see if I can get clarification on the relationship between 2 separate matches within the same playing group.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Thanks, that would be great, is it the same for consulting, advice etc... between teamates but in individual matches?
    Lefty Lucas

Thanks, that would be great, is it the same for consulting, advice etc... between teamates but in individual matches?
    Rule 8 says that you're only allowed to recieve or seek advice from your partner, or his caddie, not from a teammate in a separate singles match. Same goes for indicating the line of play on the putting green.

Good to know, thanks.
    Lefty Lucas

Thread Information