Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

softer flex=More distance?????

Softer flex=More distance?????

Myth or reality?

Stiffer flex heps fight a hook?

Myth or reality?

Softer flex heps reduce a slice??

Myth or reality?

Truth is that according to a study conducted by Golfworks a softer flex than what is prescribed will produce more distance and a higher ball flight. However everything will be magnified i.e if you slice it will be even worse and just the opposite for a hook.
    IMHO a softer flex or a stiffer flex will not correct a hook or a slice as it is a swing move that produces the ball flight. Face angle,lie angles,total weight and amount of offset will do more for a swing tendency than the shaft will.

Have at it
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    I don't care what it is I just need to fix my slice as I lose a lot of distance off the tee due to a slice out to the left ( I'm a lefty ) and I'm always begind me fellow competitor's. Short irons and wedges are good, putting is good, off the tee is BRUTAL!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Do you still have the Nike Sasquatch 460 in your bag Weazl?
    You did not mention the 3 wood and long irons. Do you slice them as well?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Yes I do although I never hit it. Also have the Nike 460 3 wood. Slice the 3 wood as well but not the long irons, although a long iron for me is 180 yards as I'm a short hitter.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    I'd say your best bet is to get yourself properly taped on camera and I'm sure you'll quickly figure out what you're doing wrong to cause that slice.

Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    Yes I do although I never hit it. Also have the Nike 460 3 wood. Slice the 3 wood as well but not the long irons, although a long iron for me is 180 yards as I'm a short hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    Of course lessons are in order but assuming you do not want to take lessons go for an offset closed face driver. Cobra is good for that. There is also a gadget called face fit by club connex which allows the same head to play in a 2 degree closed face. Some offset clubs do not have enough offset and or the face is not closed enough Some clubs have open faces or neutral by design and no matter what you try you'll always slice it.

BTW with the face fit the effective loft will become 11 degrees at impact. Hope this helps and in the meantime stop aiming down the centre of the fairway It is not going to go away
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks for the advice Chief. Think I'll do just that with the driver and look for the off-set, closed face to help with the inherent swing flaws.

Pick the loft carefuly. 11* will do you more good than harm. You'll hit it much straighter. If you push the long irons there is also something you can do to help you hit it STRAIGHTER

Mahatma Gandhi

Apparently I need fixing. My game has been stuck in high 80's, low 90's for last few years so maybe clubs that suit my game will help lower scores.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    I use the Callaway X 460 driver, it's great. A little offset but the 11 degree is amazing and it has a 2 degree closed face on it. I recommend it. Maybe you can find a used one here on the Driver forum.
    Last edited by Break68; 10-04-2010 at 05:29 PM. Reason: i cannot type
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    I could never understand why people waste money on clubs that pretend to be miracle fixes. I can understand a slight correction, but 2 degrees closed and offset driver is just a bit extreme. The worst part is that the longer you play with it the more ingrained your bad habbits will become. Golf being the game of constant improvement, do you really think getting that driver is the right move?

Save the money and get a couple of lessons with a good instructor and a couple of driving range sessions, guarantee that you'll get rid of that slice within a month.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruskie View Post
    I could never understand why people waste money on clubs that pretend to be miracle fixes. I can understand a slight correction, but 2 degrees closed and offset driver is just a bit extreme. The worst part is that the longer you play with it the more ingrained your bad habbits will become. Golf being the game of constant improvement, do you really think getting that driver is the right move?

Save the money and get a couple of lessons with a good instructor and a couple of driving range sessions, guarantee that you'll get rid of that slice within a month.
    You're no fun !

Quote Originally Posted by Ruskie View Post

Did Bruce Lietzke ever get rid of it?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Par rhh7 is on a distinguished road rhh7's Avatar
    Chief, my problem is a serious hook. I was under the impression that a stiffer shaft would be harder to hook. Is that incorrect?

Thread Information