100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar

practice swings with head cover on

I was playing alone the other evening and on an adjacent tee box I watched a player taking practice swings with his driver with the head cover still on.

In light on Julie Inkster's DQ earlier this year I started wondering if this is a similar infraction...is a head cover considered a training aid during a practice swing?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Unless the headcover is EXPLICITLY designed as a training aid then it is not deemed to be one.

For example, if you buy an after market headcover that is advertised as the "Swing Trainer" it would be against the rules.

If you bought a Bugs Bunny headcover that was the same weight but was only sold as "Bugs Bunny" headcover, it is OK.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    What if Bugs Bunny used it on his driver??
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Consistently present bobbyc is on a distinguished road bobbyc's Avatar
    i usually warm up with the headcover on (some wind resistance) but i also use a weight, or donut. once again i believe this is not a training aid.
    if i could only putt !!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    It's OK to use a training aid before to warm up. It's not OK during the round.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Consistently present bobbyc is on a distinguished road bobbyc's Avatar
    exactly !!! which is what Julie did .. during the round on a tee box while waiting to tee off ...
    if i could only putt !!

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyc View Post
    exactly !!! which is what Julie did .. during the round on a tee box while waiting to tee off ...
    I didn't think it was before the round. I thought she was waiting on a tee box for the group a head and was doing it to stay loose.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Julie did use the weight between the 9th & 10th holes while in an extended wait and that's why she was DQ'd. It's fine to use before the stipulated round has started.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    But if the round had been suspended for an hour, for example, with the players remaining in place, I assume that she could have swung a weighted club with impunity during the suspension. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    Julie did use the weight between the 9th & 10th holes while in an extended wait and that's why she was DQ'd. It's fine to use before the stipulated round has started.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Mike you are correct as the stipulated round was suspended and use of the weight would be all right as would giving advice to a fellow competitor. Once the suspension is over this would not be allowed.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    You're one step ahead of me, Gerry. As for the decision on advice obtained during a period of suspension I have elsewhere expressed my belief that that decision was wrong because it fails to assure that the mischief that the Advice Rule (Rule 8) was intended to address is fulfilled. But that is a matter for another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    Mike you are correct as the stipulated round was suspended and use of the weight would be all right as would giving advice to a fellow competitor. Once the suspension is over this would not be allowed.
    Last edited by mpare; 01-25-2011 at 02:26 PM.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Thread Information