100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wedge Play

Gap Wedge diggler is on a distinguished road

Wedge Play

Quick question- do the Optishot and P3Pro (with and without launch software) allow you to use high lofted wedges--- or specifically, multiple wedges with unique lofts (50 degrees, 52, 58, 60, 64). I have a variety of different wedges I might use depending on the course and how I am playing and I am curious if the unit can be customized to that degree.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    No, both can be registered as pw or sw. I will keep the setting of the sw (56 degree I assume) and hit my 60 degree lw. The higher launch and lower swing speed will result in a higher shorter shot. In general though, there is no distinction between the wedges other than the pw or sw settings.

Gap Wedge diggler is on a distinguished road
    Thanks- I assume the ability for your p3pro to register a higher/shorter shot is due to the launch angle camera you are using, but wouldn't work otherwise.

I wonder if one could customize some of the other clubs that aren't used with different length/lofts. For example, could you program an unused long iron or hybrid slot with a 35.5 inch club with 60 degrees of loft. Then you would just have to remember that your 2 iron is your lob wedge.

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    The GSA Golf software coming out for the P3Pro has (if it's the same as my version for the Golftek) a couple more options - a "GW" and "LW" can be added to your bag. Still, the launch angle detection is pretty much essential to be able to differentiate between clubs that are that close in loft (you're only talking a couple degrees difference between them). My device has an upper launch angle limit of 40 degrees which really limits its ability to read high loft wedges. I'd love to have readings up to 60 degrees (like the P3 web cam provides).

That is correct diggler. Without launch you cannot determine the height of the shot. The GSA version for the p3pro only has the pw and sw for now. The p3pro folks said that the upcoming updates will include more clubs such as lw, hybrids etc. RDH does your GSA version have hybrids as well? It is nice to be able to register high launches above 40 degrees.

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    My version has the extra wedges, but not hybrids. When I carried a hybrid, I just used the 3I in the software when I wanted to use it. Now I'm back to a pretty traditional set as I struggled with the hybrid (one of the only people on the planet to do that!) so I ditched it.

I hope our upgrades will include the extra wedges. Hybrid would be nice as well.

diggler, gw and lw are options with the GSA software. Hitting both as we speak.

Thread Information