CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: P3pro Ball Cam?

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar

P3pro Ball Cam?

I am in the process of lobbying p3pro to develop a 2nd webcam to capture the ball direction and speed. I know they have an integration with Zelocity and are trying to develop and integration with the vector launch but the expense of these options will keep many users away. I really think the webcam launch feature is very accurate and adding a second cam and " ball direction" window will abviously increase the accuracy of how and where the ball is hit. This would be a cheaper, reliable option that I think more people would buy. It could be easily done with the cam behind or above the sensor pad just like the launch setup.

Are there any p3pro users that would buy this? The more numbers that they see the more likely this would be developed. In fact it would be nice if dd went this way as well.

7 Wood dvshx is on a distinguished road
    You beat me to it. I think this is a great idea and easily doable. The screen would actually be able to fit this since the window bar now currently accomodates 3 camera views (2 for swing capture & 1 for launch). If they make an option to make one of the swing capture a "ball direction view," this would not add any more clutter to the the interface.

In many instance my ball would clearly start left, but it would only show a direct push to the right ball path on the p3proswing. I used to think it was time to re-tape my clubs when this happened.

I think it is a great idea that is easily doable like you said. I hope p3pro will see it that way as well. I'll let you all know how things progress.

Ryder Cup Par2Pro is on a distinguished road Par2Pro's Avatar
    Good call bubba - I have been lobbying for this for 3 years now - hoping more voices will help push that forward!

That is great to hear Cory. Have you sent them an email on this? I really think it is great move for them, that really is a low cost. That will be more affordable for the home user than the Zelocity or Vector. Where do you think the cam would be set Cory?

I have spoked with Chuck a lot, but the key here is the cost to develop the sensor and, as you mentioned, where to put it?

I think a ceiling mounted cam directly above the ball would be the best. It could show the ball in a window exactly like the launch window showing the streak of ball left or right of center and calculating the angle. The other though was behind the ball at ground level. The video projection may interfere with the image quality however. I think the overhead cam would be the best option.

I think the cost of developing a webcam window will be very small. As dvshx said the viseo integration is already there, so the addition of another window for that cam with a similair angle and determination method (basically the direction left or right of centre as well as calculation of that angle, +ve for right and -ve for left). The biggest question is how many users will be interested in such a product. I do think if they bundle the launch and ball cam together as a so called "ball sensor", a lot of people will bite , if the price is right.

I am still awaiting some word on a ball cam. All those interested should email the prpo folks at sales@p3proswing.com The more pressure the better the chance of them developing the ball cam.

Chasiv, any rumblings about a ball cam?

While we are asking for stuff from P3Pro, my clients & I would love outdoor use as well as a ball cam sensor!

5 Iron chasiv is on a distinguished road

Exclamation

Ball Cam Info:

I have not heard anything on the ball cam other then from you folks. I know it sounds easy, but I don't think it is as easy as you may think it is. Remember that the Launch Angle camera has a set location it must be in for it to work properly. Doing that from overhead would not be as feasible. Also, the Launch Angle camera is only 28 inches away from the ball, so picking up the streak of the ball taking off is not that hard being that close. Having a camera over the all would likely require it to be 8-10 feet away. I know most webcams have zoom, but not that much.

Also, you should remember that P3Pro does not have an inhouse programmer. The programmers that write our programs are outside consultants, so the cost is substantial any time we add to the program.

Outdoor Use:

Although the P3ProSwing is not rated for outdoor use, this is due to the fact it is not water resistent. There are many users that have had success in using it outdoors. We have many clients that go to outdoor shows and events and use the simulator without issue. Now, with that said -- it takes extreme shade for it to work as the sensors operate on infrared lighting. Even on the cloudiest of days- the sun emits infrared light.

Obviously, my recommendation for outdoor use would be a cage setup similar to the Ace Package. I have heard folks have success with carports and such.

Thanks for the info chasiv. What about a high speed usb camera like this http://www.allsportsystems.com/high-...b-cameras.html. Have you heard anything about the the launch angle integration for the GSA courses?

Hey bubba, the FPS on that seems really low - the ball camera sensors that I know of capture anywhere between 500 and 2000 FPS.

Your right Cory. I didn't catch that and just got excited with the high speed display. 85fps is quite low for "high speed".

I suspect that the ball cam idea will not fly if the launch cam is not happening yet. Oh well, we can only keep asking.

I did find out that they are now focused on the integration side of things - no promises, but keep your eyes peeled here or on my GolfSimulatorNews.com website for any news. It may be a little while though

Thanks Cory. Seems promising.

Yup, I really like the fact that they are not just sitting on a technology - they want to be around for a long time and are always innovating to make it bigger and better!

Happy Columbus Day / Thanksgiving!

Thread Information