100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood wboudrea is on a distinguished road wboudrea's Avatar

EG Club Championship Course Help

I am entering into my first "competitive" event in the C division of the EG Club championship. I am very excited. Anyone else playing? I have unfortunately never played any of the three courses that we will playing on so anyone who has any advice about Casselview or Mountain Creek it would be very much appreciated. I will ask about Equinelle if I manage to make the cut. Thanks in advance.
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"-#99

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Mountain creek has very tight fairways and you usually find yourself on other fairways, or others from other holes playing on your fairways. Remember to clear your vocal chords before each shot you can clearly scream "Fore" and keep your ears open for the same lol. That or just play safer clubs off the tee if they go straighter than your driver

I'm sure you'll love Casselview, it was one of, if not my favourite course on EG just because it was in nice condition. Not sure what advice to give besides have fun lol

3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    Mountain creek has very tight fairways and you usually find yourself on other fairways, or others from other holes playing on your fairways. Remember to clear your vocal chords before each shot you can clearly scream "Fore" and keep your ears open for the same lol. That or just play safer clubs off the tee if they go straighter than your driver

I'm sure you'll love Casselview, it was one of, if not my favourite course on EG just because it was in nice condition. Not sure what advice to give besides have fun lol

Tight fairways? I think you're mistaken. There may be a few trees, but that is the ultimate grip and rip golf course. Hit it as hard as you can, and you should always have some sort of shot to the green.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Is it? I thought the last time I played it I remembered always having other peoples balls in my fairway and having to always watch out to not get hit. Maybe they're not tight fairways, maybe the players playing the course in general were just really really bad.. lol

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    Is it? I thought the last time I played it I remembered always having other peoples balls in my fairway and having to always watch out to not get hit. Maybe they're not tight fairways, maybe the players playing the course in general were just really really bad.. lol
    Maybe on occasion but "always having other peoples balls in my fairway"? I played 18 holes today and only saw this happen twice all game long. The parking lot was fairly full when I left - so it wasn't solely because I was the only player out there!

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I can help you with Casselview. Most of the greens on this course are very large - so pin position is definitely a factor in club selection on approach shots. You can ask the starter for a map of the pin positions, and I always check #14 as I drive in. The first 7 holes have OB left. A few tips for each hole:

#1 - as long as you clear the creek, straight is better than long.
    #2 - there is more fairway on the right than you can see from the tee.
    #3 - severe slope from back to front, so try to be below the hole. Easy to 3-putt.
    #4 - water reachable from the tee, FW is a better choice. DO NOT GO LEFT.
    #5 - easy par-3. not much room behind the green.
    #6 - don't be a hero. Find the fairway off the tee, lay-up through the chute.
    #7 - slightly uphill, plays 1/2 club longer than you think. very tricky green.
    #8 - a good drive makes it easier to stick this turtle-back green.
    #9 - DO NOT MISS RIGHT off the tee (left rough is OK), layup to 100-120 yards.
    #10 - uphill tee shot makes it play longer than you think.
    #11 - drive over the trees on left or take it over the bunker, don't miss right.
    #12 - reachable par-5, good birdie chance here
    #13 - short par-4, no need to play driver. another good birdie chance.
    #14 - hit FW or iron to bottom of hill, green is 30 yards long and narrow.
    #15 - small, turtle-back green with woods behind - par is a good score.
    #16 - two-tiered green, so pick the right club to get on the right level.
    #17 - most can take a 3-wood over the left edge of the pond, HUGE green.
    #18 - DO NOT MISS RIGHT, especially on approach.

As for Mountain Creek, it is generally a grip-it-and-rip-it course as there is not a lot of trouble off the tee even if you're on the wrong fairway. The one thing to remember is virtually all of the greens have a lot of slope from back-to-front, so you should always try to be below the pin.

Good luck!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by fourlights View Post
    Tight fairways? I think you're mistaken. There may be a few trees, but that is the ultimate grip and rip golf course. Hit it as hard as you can, and you should always have some sort of shot to the green.
    Maybe, I only played it once and it seemed pretty good except for some trees on a few fiarways. I know my opponent was only a couple of yards inside the O/B on the left on the first hole, I think it is also O/B for the 9th.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Maybe, I only played it once and it seemed pretty good except for some trees on a few fiarways. I know my opponent was only a couple of yards inside the O/B on the left on the first hole, I think it is also O/B for the 9th.
    Definately OB for the 9th - in fact I think its only OB for the 9th hole. They're trying to discourage people from cutting off too much of the corner on 9, but I think you're OK over there on 1. Perhaps a member can chime in...

... BTW there is internal OB on the left for the 8th hole as well.

Golf Pigette of the Year 09, 10, 11 IRON MAIDEN is on a distinguished road IRON MAIDEN's Avatar
    We'll be there... you and I have the exact tee times but I'm going off on #10 ........so I'll see you in the clubhouse after the round...

My main recommendation is to read the special "course rules" for the event.......there are many and they all come into play.

Have fun, it's always a great fun tournament.

I M

Quote Originally Posted by wboudrea View Post
    I am entering into my first "competitive" event in the C division of the EG Club championship. I am very excited. Anyone else playing? I have unfortunately never played any of the three courses that we will playing on so anyone who has any advice about Casselview or Mountain Creek it would be very much appreciated. I will ask about Equinelle if I manage to make the cut. Thanks in advance.
    It's a matter of golf or death

Golf Pigette of the Year 09, 10, 11 IRON MAIDEN is on a distinguished road IRON MAIDEN's Avatar
    Congrats on making the cut to the final round and best of luck Saturday!

I M

Thanks IM. How was it for you? I don't think I will be challenging someone who shot 84 82 or whatever it was to be in the lead in the C division but I made the cut which was my goal. The nerves were definitly different on day one. Did not play my best. My Sunday round could have been really good if it wern't for a run of 3 7s in a row and a triple 8 to finish the round off. made 5 or 6 pars wich was really good. Happy to have made the cut.

Just making the cut is great, especially for your first crack at it. Nerves are a fun thing aren't they?! LOL

It went well.........thanks. I was 1 stroke in the lead going into round 2......but now 1 stroke back going into next Saturday.

Equinelle is beautiful and challenging. Can't wait!

Good luck Sat and we'll see you at dinner !

I M

Thanks IM. How was it for you? I don't think I will be challenging someone who shot 84 82 or whatever it was to be in the lead in the C division but I made the cut which was my goal. The nerves were definitly different on day one. Did not play my best. My Sunday round could have been really good if it wern't for a run of 3 7s in a row and a triple 8 to finish the round off. made 5 or 6 pars wich was really good. Happy to have made the cut.
    Last edited by Kilroy; 03-14-2012 at 07:50 AM.

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    You are correct - left is OB on #9 but not for #1.

Same thing for #8 - OB on the left but this does not apply to #7 (though you definitely don't want to go there - you won't have any shot at all!)

BullDog

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Definately OB for the 9th - in fact I think its only OB for the 9th hole. They're trying to discourage people from cutting off too much of the corner on 9, but I think you're OK over there on 1. Perhaps a member can chime in...

... BTW there is internal OB on the left for the 8th hole as well.

So is there anyone who can give me a run down for Equinelle? Hoping to play well enought to maintain my spot in the standings and enjoy what I hear is a wonderful course.

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    They have a hole-by-hole on their site. Generally, stay out of the bunkers

Thread Information