CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter goon is on a distinguished road

P3ProSwing Reading Errors - Open Clubface

Hi Guys,

I have been reading these forums for about two months now trying to research which simulator to buy. After Bubba's glowing reviews & the fact that it is widely regarded as being a whole lot more accurate, I decided I would look for a P3ProSwing.

After finding one on Ebay with the latest version software, I snapped it up and have had it shipped to me here in Australia. I also ordered the grass top for the unit.

After loading all the software and setting everything up in my home theatre room (I don't have room to hit driver or woods yet - Just Irons & hybrid) I have found that I am getting readings that are not consistent with my ball flight on the course.

I play off a handicap of 7 and normally hit a fairly straight ball with my irons - maybe a 1 to 2 yard fade on a bad swing. I am mainly testing the unit with my 8 iron and I find that I am consistently getting open clubface readings of about 6 to 7 degrees but the swing path readings seem to be quite accurate - anything from 1 degree in-out to 1 degree out-in. The open clubface readings don’t seem to be consistent with how I normally hit the ball - as the unit is telling me that my shots are 10 yards or more right of centre.

At first I thought this may have been due to the fact that I had not taped the bottom of the club (one of the reasons I bought the P3Proswing was I thought that I would only have to tape the woods - not the irons), so I taped the club up and am still getting the same sort of readings.

When I pass the club over the sensors slowly I get accurate readings (Club Square) but when I hit at full speed i consistently get open clubface readings.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing these open clubface readings and how I can fix this.

I was hoping the unit would be a good way for me to shave a few strokes off my handicap and I was going to buy the new golf course software, but if the unit is really this inaccurate I wont be outlaying any more money on it and possibly selling it and giving up on the whole golf simulator idea.

Hopefully some of you can help me with some advice as to what may be the problem.

I thank you in advance.

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    Wasn't there a troubleshooting/support website set up for the P3Pro? Cory, I think you had the link to that?

The P3Pro has such a good reputation that it has to be something in your setup (or your device). Don't give up on a simulator - they're fantastic once you get them working right!

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    There is a sensor testing that is in the software to check that the sensors are working properly. You also have to be very dilligent to check the alignment ofthe sensor pad etc with respect to the mat etc. Try emailing Cory or P3pro if you are still having troubles.

Putter goon is on a distinguished road
    Hi Rdh & Bubba22,

Thanks for your comments.

Rdh - I have been to the website you speak of, but all that it recommends is cleaning the unit and sensors with cotton-buds (I believe you guys call them Q-Tips). I have tried this and it has not seem to help at all. As for giving up on simulators - I was hoping that this was going to be something I could come home everyday and use, but with the readings I am getting it is just frustrating me and not making me want to use it. I have outlayed a good amount of money on it and I am really keen to get it working so I can start enjoying using it. If I can get these bugs fixed, I can see the benefits of having one and would be keen to order the new course software from Cory to really start having some fun!!

Bubba22 - Do you know where this sensor test program is? Is it part of the normal software you use for the practice range or is it on the disc? If you could let me know I would be very keen to try this out to ensure the unit is working like it should be.

Also, as for the alignment, I have been quite carefull in ensuring that everything has been set up squarely, to ensure I am not getting any false readings. So I don't think that this can be the cause.

I thank you for your input so far and look forward to hearing from you.

The sensor test program is in the p3pro software. It will test the working of the sensors, so it is worth doing. You should also make sure that the lighting is good. No direct light on the sensors etc. Try callling or emailing p3pro for some advice if it is not working.

7 Wood dvshx is on a distinguished road
    what usually is the reading of swing path when you get this 4-7 degrees open face? hate to say
    it, but the sensor is mostly right about your swing. u should be happy that you are getting this feedback.

also, does your irons have any big offsets?

All good points dvshx.

Ryder Cup Par2Pro is on a distinguished road Par2Pro's Avatar
    Been crazy busy, so sorry for the delayed response...

First, Chuck has made a great site at http://www.proswingsupport.com/ for those who need it.

Secondly, DVSHX does have a good point. I have found that so many people believe that their swing is different from what it actually is. Not saying that it is Goon's case, but it is something to think about.

Goon - are you comparing this to any other analyzer? Have you tried different clubs? Have you had anyone else use the system and get the same reading?

A simple way to check is to have someone else stand beside your swing and watch your club face at impact. You can generally see a 4 to 7 degree open face with the human eye.

Hopefully that helps, but just email me or Chuck at P3Pro if you still have problems.

Cheers,
    Cory

5 Iron chasiv is on a distinguished road
    If you swings are open more then 15 degrees, it is usually a reflection/environmental issue. Check for reflective surfaces (i.e. windows, mirrors, metal surfaces) in the area where your sensor is. Cover things up. Also remember that the less lighting, the better. The sensor works on infrared lighting.

Ryder Cup Par2Pro is on a distinguished road Par2Pro's Avatar
    Did you get your erroneous readings worked out Goon?

Thread Information