CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar

eReader Experience?

I read a book a week, and it's getting to the point where my wife hates the books all over the house. So, thinking about an eReader. Anyone have one and care to share some views? And the waterproof cases for them?
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Caddy SGH is on a distinguished road SGH's Avatar
    I bought my wife a Kindle last year. She loves it, and gets a lot of use out of it. I definitely recommend it based on her reviews. I thought I'd use it to read the newspaper, magazines, etc., but that never panned out. I prefer having an actual book or paper in my hand.

I can't speak to the waterproof cases, but we do have a cover for the Kindle which was a big hit.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I have a Sony eReader and it is spectacular!! It reads all of the ebook formats unlike the Kindle and Kobo readers. Between my wife and I we've probably read 40 or more books since I got it this spring.

I also have an iPad which is my preferred device because it is back lit while the Sony reader is not. The flip side of the back lit coin is eye fatigue, I can only ready 90 - 120 minutes with my iPad before I can feel my eyes getting tired - I can read an entire book on the Sony with no problem.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Does it have a waterproof cover on the market?
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    You don't actually need a waterproof case for it while sitting on the can.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Does it have a waterproof cover on the market?
    I don't know about a proper cover, but my wife simply put it in a freezer bag when she took it to the beach with the kids this summer....worked like a charm

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Otterbox makes a waterproof iPad case.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

1 Iron kekchose12 is on a distinguished road
    Started to read books on Kindle for iPod touch a few weeks back. I thought it would be difficult to read on a small device, I was wrong. It is great.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I got my wife a Kobo last month and she's hooked. Its "synchs" just like a skycaddie, so it was pretty easy for me to show her how to buy books, & upload them. Its cheap, and very often there are free books on Kobo, or next to free ($0.89) Also, for those who want a book as soon as it comes out, you can buy it on Kobo for a fraction of the cost of a new hardcover. Not backlit, like Hacker said, but that has the benefit of long battery life, and no eye fatigue.
    Andrew

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    I got my wife a Kobo last month and she's hooked. Its "synchs" just like a skycaddie, so it was pretty easy for me to show her how to buy books, & upload them. Its cheap, and very often there are free books on Kobo, or next to free ($0.89) Also, for those who want a book as soon as it comes out, you can buy it on Kobo for a fraction of the cost of a new hardcover. Not backlit, like Hacker said, but that has the benefit of long battery life, and no eye fatigue.
    Given your performance last time we played, you might want to see if she'll softly read some golf instruction books to you while you sleep to see if any of that wisdom sinks in sub-consciously.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    Given your performance last time we played, you might want to see if she'll softly read some golf instruction books to you while you sleep to see if any of that wisdom sinks in sub-consciously.
    thats cold partner
    Andrew

Putter duder78 is on a distinguished road
    I bought a sony PRS-650 about 2 months ago and LOVE it. It takes SD cards to increase storage, can read .PDF and .EPUBs nicely and even has built in .mp3 support. One caveat...the management software that ships with it is garbage. I recommend the Calibre program to anyone using an ereader. Much more efficient and intuitive. There also an option which lets you create what are called 'recipes;. It's basically a list of RSS feeds. Think of a news site for example...each section i.e sports, business, technology...they each have their own RSS feed. A recipe is made up of all these related feeds. Calibre in turn compiles these recipes giving you an indexed document which is then readable on your device! YOU MAKE YOUR OWN MAGAZINES AND NEWSPAPERS. Brilliant, especially if you're on the go and want access to local news in your area. It's free too, a must have for any eReader user.

Having no backlite initially was a bit of a drawback but I bought a leather case with a small reading lite that rectified the problem. Eink is MUCH easier on the eyes than backlit displays. Heck it feels like my eyes are bleeding while writing this looking at the monitor. Another plus with e-ink...reading outside is a breeze. No distracting glares AT ALL. It's like reading off of a matte piece of plastic. Text is crisp and pictures looks fine. Sure, it's black and white but the resolution is more than tolerable.
    Last edited by duder78; 04-18-2011 at 02:10 AM.

Thread Information