100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road

Stretchy rain jackets

Been looking for a good rain jacket for a while, but all the regular Gortex ones seem to be either way too tight or stick out too much interfering with the swing and, especially, putting. Today went to Golftown and saw a Sunmountain RainFlex jacket, which is made out of some kind of stretchy fabric. Almost bought it, but they didn't have small size (apparently it's some sort of special order). Now, after looking around a bit more, I found that Zero Restriction makes a stretchy rain jacket as well. So, now I have a couple of questions that perhaps someone here can answer:

1. Are these jackets really waterproof? It would be a shame to spend $200 and have it leak in a year.

2. Has anyone tried these jackets in skin-tight sizes? Were they stetchy enough to allow you to swing freely?

3. Are there any other companies that make them?

Cheers,
    Alex.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Alex, I have a Sunice jacket that is made of that stretchy material. It is not 100%waterproof but it is in their Tornado line. If you want 100% you pretty much have to go the Goretex route. Actually I have 3 of these jackets (I am also a clothing ho). The seams are all steam sealed. I have 2 jackets, both size large that I am about to list, never been worn. One still has the tags in fact. One is med/light blue with black accents, and the other is black with red accents. I have a M and I like the fit of it better.

http://www.sunice.com/golf/2010/
    Last edited by jeffc; 09-15-2010 at 07:54 PM.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

I was looking at that one in GT today. It's nice, but like you said, it's not waterproof.

Here're the ones I found that actually are both stretchy and waterproof. Unfortunately, GT doesn't carry ZR stuff and SunMountain is Medium at the smallest.

http://www.sunmountain.com/default.p...3659_3673_3635
    http://www.zerorestriction.com/0154-fullturn-jacket/#

I actually found the ZR jacket at an inline store in Vegas and ordered it Hopefully, it'll hold up to the rain.

Got My Card btasse is on a distinguished road btasse's Avatar
    Best rain gear i have ever had comes from Abacus. Here is a link to their web site....
    http://www.abacus-golf.com/

Also i'm also a fan of ProQuip. Got 2 rain/wind top and they are great. An Australian company.
    Golfing only thing on my mind.......

Well, I ended up buying the Typhoon jacket like yours, Jeff. It's super comfortable, fits very snug (they do have size S), and apparently has a 4-year waterproof warranty (I guess I looked at the wrong thing at GT earlier). Expensive as hell, I hope it holds up under rain...

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I bought the sunice tornado jacket last year just before the belleville weekend. jacket was great for the rain, and it quickly became a preferred jacket for me not just golfing. unfortunately, it is no longer perfectly waterproof. I wonder if mine came with a warranty? I got it at GT, what are my chances of getting something out of them?
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    I bought the sunice tornado jacket last year just before the belleville weekend. jacket was great for the rain, and it quickly became a preferred jacket for me not just golfing. unfortunately, it is no longer perfectly waterproof. I wonder if mine came with a warranty? I got it at GT, what are my chances of getting something out of them?
    Well, Sunice site says it's 4-year warranty. GT would probably have at least a year on it as well. If you're Leaderboard member (that cheesy club GT runs) they'll have your purchase in their database, so drop by and talk to them. For $300 it better last more than a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruskie View Post
    Well, Sunice site says it's 4-year warranty. GT would probably have at least a year on it as well. If you're Leaderboard member (that cheesy club GT runs) they'll have your purchase in their database, so drop by and talk to them. For $300 it better last more than a year.
    I am a leaderboard member, and mine was a Tornado, not a Typhoon. I recall paying alot for it. I am going to look into it.
    Andrew

I am a leaderboard member, and mine was a Tornado, not a Typhoon. I recall paying alot for it. I am going to look into it.
    You're right, mine is a Tornado as well. I keep mixing them up

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Picked a Helly Hansen rain jacket last week at T&L sales on Carling .. Didn't checked if it's gortex, but has nice wide hood and adjustable wrist straps. Did a water test with the sink tap at home (spray and full running).. water just ran off arm sleeve and stayed dry.. wife was impressed albite temporary, for a moment she thought I was doing the dishes.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Is it goretex? You need to take care of it for it to continue to be waterproof. Wash it according to the directions and it should recover its water proof qualities.

http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satel...g-instructions

I thought the patent on "Goretex" went out about 10 years ago.

In any case, that word doesn't appear on the garment anywhere.

The water now seems to slightly penetrate the shoulders, where it use to just bead up and roll off, like it still does over most of the jacket. I think its UV exposure that has caused the failure.
    Andrew

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Do you carry? That may be why.

I thought the patent on "Goretex" went out about 10 years ago.

In any case, that word doesn't appear on the garment anywhere.

The water now seems to slightly penetrate the shoulders, where it use to just bead up and roll off, like it still does over most of the jacket. I think its UV exposure that has caused the failure.

Well, I test drove it today in pretty steady light rain. Wonderful. Very comfy and dry. I did notice that the water was penetrating the outer layer, especially on the shoulders, but inside it was completely dry. Somehow I don't think UV can damage the inner layers.

I push, I don't carry. I played yesterday in considerable rain, and got wet.

I remember when I bought it, it was unbelievable. Pouring rain, I stayed dry, & I barely felt I was wearing a coat.

If I can't exchange it, I still like it as a coat.
    Andrew

Thread Information