100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Scratch Player kilmidyke is on a distinguished road kilmidyke's Avatar

.370 shaft into .355 hosel?

.370 shaft into .355 hosel?....just like it says...is it possible or even practical to do this? I have a .370 hybrid shaft that i want to install into my 585h head which is apparently a .335 hosel.

I understand that going smaller into bigger is easy, but going the other way?

Any experiences with this?....anyone? Advice is appreciated as always.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    The head has to be reamed.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

3 Wood THUNDAH is on a distinguished road
    I've sanded down .370 graphite shafts into .355 tapered hosels. Mostly wedges. The shafts were not thin walled so the risk of brekage was lessened. They are still in play. Fitting .370 steel shafts in a smaller inner diameter hosel is impossible.
    He who hits last, walks alone

Hmmm....thats what GT said too. They can fit the shaft into the hosel by sanding it down. I just wanted to check with you guys and see if anyone has had any experience with it before giving it a try.

The thing is...I really like these shafts but I also really like the 21* 585 hybrid too. Oh what the heck...I'm gonna give it a try and see. I have another one of these shafts anyway incase something goes drastically wrong. Afterall, it's only 0.015" isnt it...I mean how much can go wrong really? lol

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Prep the shafts " a la Callaway " with slits and heavy on the epoxy. 6 thin slits for graphite with a thin dremel cut off wheel.

Never sand the tip down. It's to risky.

Not actually going to do this myself...especially with a dremel! lol Waaay too risky! lmfao

Was going to get a club-builder to do it. Actually the guy at my local GT in Kingston seems really good although it's usually just been standard "remove and replace" stuff up to now. I'll always have a go with steel but somehow graphite just seems to make me wimp out.

Just looking at a "course" for this stuff with GolfWorks....maybe thats the way to go and actually learn how to do this stuff myself and properly!

Are you absolutely sure the hosel is .355. Usually these hosels are for tapered hosel irons, most common in forged irons and wedges. The 585h is a hybrid. They usually have either .370, .350 or .335 hosels. More importantly a quick search seems to indicate that these hybrids have a bore-through hosel. If you are sanding down a .370 shaft to fit it into a .335 hosel the risk of breakage is very high even if you are only drilling out the existing shafts 1.25 inches (30mm)
    Last edited by THUNDAH; 09-05-2010 at 08:34 PM. Reason: correction of information given

Doh!.....you are correct sir! Bore-thru....never even thought about it! According to golfworks website...585h is a 0.355 hosel.

Oh well.

Project officially abandoned!!

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kilmidyke View Post
    Doh!.....you are correct sir! Bore-thru....never even thought about it! According to golfworks website...585h is a 0.355 hosel.

Oh well.

Project officially abandoned!!
    But the thread isn't. Just know that all tapered graphite iron shafts have been sanded down. It is ok to do so because graphite iron shaft walls are a lot thicker than graphite wood shafts. If steel the head has to be reamed or you can tip trim the taper shaft a bit to fit the hosel since only the first 1/4 (approximate) is tapered ,
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Bill Wood
    Chiefs got it. Irons much easier that Woods. Woods - very slippery slope.

Don't give up right now. If the existing shaft is graphite and you don't need to re-use it, you can cut it off at the hosel and step-drill it out to a depht of 1.25 inches (30mm) and fit the new one in.
    If the existing shaft is steel, you can remove it, cut the angled tip off and re-insert the angle tip into its original position (You probably will need a new shaft tip plug) and fit new shaft in. The top portion of the hosel should be close to .370, so the new shaft should fit properly. Usually only the bottom 3/4 inch of the hosel is tapered.
    All that being said, it is much easier to work with graphite!

Just to let everyone know...the .370 tip graphite hybrid shaft I have, has now been fitted into the Titleist 585h head. Officially, these heads are 0.355 taper tip and a bore-thru design. The original shaft in my 585h is a VS Proto by You Hybrid 80g which is a .370 tip shaft and installed blind bore not bore thru, so there is no issue in prepping the tip of a 0.370 graphite to remove the 0.015" required to install the shaft into this head, as this is exactly what Titleist had done originally. I think this is pretty much what was mentioned earlier in this thread by some of you guys, so thanks to you all for the info, I just wanted to let you guys know that it has been done.

This is clearly one of the reasons i love this forum, there is a whole lot of information out there to be shared.
    So now we know, despite what we are told when we're young....it's ok to tinker with your shaft! lol

Consistently present bobbyc is on a distinguished road bobbyc's Avatar
    i have prepped a .350 IROD to fit into .335 successfully. Client still very happy after 2 seasons with the driver. He claims it 'feels' a little softer, but he is RH and i'm LH so i don;t know. For .015" just do it slowly and carefully with your belt sander .... don't take too much off !! Easier then reaming .015" from the hosel. But a reamed hosel should still have more strength than weakening a shaft.
    6-of-1/2-dozen-of-the-other !!
    if i could only putt !!

Thread Information