100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Albatross goliath is on a distinguished road goliath's Avatar

Stop hooking hybrid or fairway woods

So here is the problem, I can't stop hooking any and every fairway wood or hybrid.

This is what I have tried in terms of clubs so far

Hybrids
    Cobra baffler #3 stiff graphite
    Mizuno mx700 stiff graphite
    Adams pro gold. Swing weighted to my irons in with same shaft as my irons.

Fairway woods
    Nike sumo 3 wood stiff graphite
    5 wood don't know the brand in reg graphite
    Callaway diablo edge in x stiff

I think there are a couple more but I forget at this point

My driver swing speed is about 115mph and I fight the hook from time to time. My irons I don't hook or slice. They go basically straight most of the time.

I've tried opening the club face, shortening my swing, changing my grip, swinging harder, swing softer all different ball positions and frankly I am out of ideas.

I am currently playing the adams pro gold #2 hybrid and I just have zero confidence from the tee or on the course because it duck hooks all the time.

My 4 iron is my 210- 215 club but I can't find anything to work past that.

My next idea is to get a 5 wood and shorten it to my best club length which is my 5 wood and hope for the best but ideally I would like to figure out how to fix this.

Any tips or ideas.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I had the same problem. Bought the TM R9 and Hybrid with FCT and opened the faces up.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

I'm ok with the driver. I only hook it when I Nancy swing it. My hybrids are completely different though. I got the adams because it was suppose to stop the hook but still the same problem. I can't keep buying clubs but what other option do I have I need a club that I can hit over 215. This is past being ridiculous.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I have the same problem too. Its not an equipment issue - its a swing issue.

You are probably coming over the top with an outside-in swing path. If you do this with a square or closed face angle you will hit a pull-hook. If you combine this with a limited shoulder turn on the backswing then you are even more likely to hit a pull-hook - especially with longer clubs.

Band-aid solutions include opening the clubface, weakening your grip, shortening your clubs and/or moving the ball back in your stance. Long-term solutions involve working on your swing path - either at the range or with an instructor (or both).

If you find some other cure, let me know!

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    At the risk of sounding obvious, I agree with justsomeguy...it's a swing issue.

My suggestion, go see a CPGA professional and get a lesson working with the hybrids. Could be the best $60 you spend all season

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    while it is a swing issue, I have the same problem, but it accentuates on these two clubs, mostly cause I find that most 3 woods and hybrids have closed faces.

btw, my solution to swing flaws has always been to buy something new!!! ;-)
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    Usually when I get the REAL big hooks going I'm not taking the club away straight at the beginning of my backswing. Usually taking it away inside and then of course swinging from the inside and yelling fore on almost every tee.
    Hope that helps and good luck!
    Even I've never heard of me

Putter stevej is on a distinguished road
    If I needed to correct this in the middle of a round, I would set up to hit an intentional slice (ie: open my stance so I am aiming left of target, and open the club face).
    But I agree that having professional look at your swing is a good idea.

Sand Wedge BBKing is on a distinguished road
    I had (and still occasionally have) a problem with what I would have described as a pull-hook, was certain that I was coming over the top. However I went to Kevin Haime's and took a series of lessons from Greg Foley, and he immediately showed me on video that I was taking the club back with a closed face and way inside. The downswing followed the same path, so contact was being made with a shut clubface. He had me consciously try to swing over the top after fixing my takeaway, and things are much better. It was an old habit that still surfaces, but is getting better and reflects in my scoring. Thanks Greg!

So what I am getting from what everybody is saying is to accentuate a wide takeaway and make sure I don't close the face on the backswing?

3 Wood goley is on a distinguished road
    Fell like you are going to hit a pull cut shot. Try hitting some drivers off the ground and this should help.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goliath View Post
    So what I am getting from what everybody is saying is to accentuate a wide takeaway and make sure I don't close the face on the backswing?
    This fixed my hook. Now I am back to slicing... But.. TBH. I'd rather be slicing than the hooks I was playing w/ my driver... I did not really have to correct my closed face as it corrected itself w/ the wide swing.

Hybrid latch is on a distinguished road
    Had the same problem that you're describing - went and took a lesson w/ Gregg at KH and the video showed that my swing was severely under-plane and I was severely hooking even my wedges. Getting the club back on plane going back was all that was needed - grab yourself a lesson, it'll be the best $60 you'll spend
    Last edited by latch; 09-20-2010 at 12:18 PM.

Thread Information