100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter Newbiegolfer is on a distinguished road

Optishot Club Settings

Hello,

We recently purchased a Optishot simulator and we're having a few problems. I read through the forum and I see some people are having similar problems but I haven't seen final fixes.

When we first plugged the Optishot in and started swinging it was reading the face wide open. I figured this would be the case from other forum posts and went in and created a custom club set based on the Specs of Taylormade's site (09 Burners). I added the 1" of length, and the offset (converted from mm to inches). I then proceeded to hit the ball, but it was still going right. I'm wondering if I entered the offset in properly. All other measurements were in inches so I converted the 4.6mm offset of my 7 iron and entered 0.181 into the field. This didn't seem to work. The only way I could get ball flight to go straight was to enter "1" in the field, then it was either straight, or had a draw, which is normally what I hit. I'd like to know if this is normal, or if "1" is way to much offset and if its messing up the calculations.

In addition, if I swing my irons over the tee it always says I've hit the toe of the club. If I move the ball outwards between the tee and the side furthest from me then I get center contact every time. This is only for irons, the driver appears to register properly.

Anyone have similar problems, and what was your solution.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Go back to the basis of checking the alignment of your sensor mat. What is your setup? Are you hitting into a net or impact screen? What is your mat setup? Are you online towards the middle of the screen or off line? The offset can be adjusted for your club demensions but also for your typical flight pattern.

Ryder Cup Par2Pro is on a distinguished road Par2Pro's Avatar
    Hey Newbie,

Have you updated the software to the latest version?
    Are you taping your clubs?
    Are you only having the problem with the one set?

You can also try contacting DD direct - they should be able to help you out with that.

Cheers,
    Cory

Putter GolferinCOS is on a distinguished road

Optishot Club Settings

I just purchased an Optishot a couple of weeks ago and am experiencing the same issue. I have been going throught the process of altering the offset for each club to make it more in line with my normal ball flight. I have also had issues with the distance for my irons being 20+ yards short. I has been a fai amount of work to get each of the clubs information adjusted so I get an accurate result to my normal swing. Everyone says it's a lighting issue but to the best of my knowledge I have followed the lighting instructions. I, too, would appreciate any input.

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    Taylormade drivers can cause issues.

Are you hitting behind the ball with your irons? Make sure the ball is close to the hole for the tee. Make sure you have selected the correct ball type.

Have you selected the same type of irons you play with?

Do you have a flourescent light directly over the simulator pad? Make sure you don't have any reflective surfaces nearby. Also, make sure you are aligned perfectly with the the simulator pad. Remember you have to be parallel to the pad to get accurate shots.

Putter GolferinCOS is on a distinguished road
    I haven't really used my driver with this system although I do use a Taylor Made driver. I purchased it primarily for the driving range function and to keep my swing throughout the winter. I am using the same irons I use when I play and am using the same balls I play with. I bought a piece of 3/4" plywood and have some astrturf on top of it. I placed a T-square along the factory edge so my alignment is pretty solid. My typical ball flight pretty straight to a draw. My next move is to replace the light bulbs. I don't seem to be hitting behind the ball (chunking it). I get the thin shots every now and then and can feel it as soon as I hit it. The fact I live at 6500 ft above sea level may have something to do with the lack of distance on the Optishot. That seems to add a bit when actually playing.

Your sea level height shouldn't affect the dd. Do as psace says, check the lighting, alignment, software for your clubs etc

You can increase your distances with the software if you think your distances are short.

7 Iron Marine1 is on a distinguished road
    Question for those DD users: I finally got my simulator building up and running about a month ago after since starting on it in march, and notice that its very easy to draw the ball or even hook it on this thing when in real life, i struggle to draw it. (keep in mind i am a 1 handicap). My question is I have read through all of the forums (all 100+ pages) and have read people talking about being able to adjust their club settings such as offset. I cant find any such adjustments available other than club type (muscle back, players, game improvement), and shot type (highest, higher, normal, lower and lowest). Does anyone know where these adjustments can be found? Thanks

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    Marine1, the settings are in the practice zone under menu.

Hey Marine,

You can choose a clubset or configure a new one:

A clubset is a collection of 14 club definitions that define the clubs that you use when practicing with OptiShot. Think of them as the 14 clubs you regularly carry in your bag.

OptiShot 2010 is provided with four default types of clubset configurations:
    • Players: Used by a large number of players, these clubs have a small offset and usually a cavity or progressive cavity back.
    • Muscle Back: Used by better players, these clubs are often referred to as blades and have a slight or no offset at all.
    • Hybrid Irons: An increasingly popular club set, these clubs offer an average offset and replace the longer irons (usually 5-3) with hybrid irons.
    • Game Improvement: Also a very common club favored by less experienced players, these clubs feature a larger offset and cavity back.
    DD has worked hard to provide defaults that should work very well for most players. If you like to have everything tweaked-out just right then you should consider fine tuning your clubs and creating a new clubset configuration. You cannot edit any of the 4 default clubsets.
    Configure new clubsets
    1. From Menu, click Clubsets. The Clubset Configuration dialog box appears.
    2. Click New. The New Clubset field appears.
    3. In the Clubset Name field, enter a unique, appropriate name for your clubsets.
    4. In the Copy of field, select the clubs that the new clubs most resemble, and then click OK. The name now appears in the Clubset list.
    5. Select the new clubset, and then click Edit. The Edit Club page appears.
    6. In the Type field, select the type of club, and complete all fields related to that club. FieldDescriptionTypeSelect the first club in your clubset. Once you click Next, you will continue with the same information for each club in your clubset.Shaft LengthLength of the club shaft (such as, 39 inches).Avg. DistanceThe distance at which you want this club to be used automatically by Auto Caddie within OptiShot. It will appear automatically in the Club field when this distance to hole is reached.LoftLoft of the club in degrees (such as, 27 degrees).OffsetThe amount that the hosel is offset from the face of the club. You may find that your club manufacturer provides club specifications on their website. This is the most accurate source of this information. If not you can contact them and they can usually provide a specification sheet for your clubs.Speed Adj.Changing this percentage affects clubhead speed and distance hit.Distance Adj.This can be used to adjust the distance calculation. This also can be used as a handicap, for example, if you are playing with a novice, you can change this to 200% and their shots will go twice as far, thus making things even.
    7. Click Next.
    8. Repeat the previous two steps for all clubs in the clubset, and then click OK. You are returned to the fairway.
    Hopefully that helps...

Merry Christmas to All and to All a Good Round of Golf!
    Cory

8 Iron caddishack is on a distinguished road caddishack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Par2Pro View Post
    Hey Marine,

You can choose a clubset or configure a new one:

A clubset is a collection of 14 club definitions that define the clubs that you use when practicing with OptiShot. Think of them as the 14 clubs you regularly carry in your bag.

OptiShot 2010 is provided with four default types of clubset configurations:
    • Players: Used by a large number of players, these clubs have a small offset and usually a cavity or progressive cavity back.
    • Muscle Back: Used by better players, these clubs are often referred to as blades and have a slight or no offset at all.
    • Hybrid Irons: An increasingly popular club set, these clubs offer an average offset and replace the longer irons (usually 5-3) with hybrid irons.
    • Game Improvement: Also a very common club favored by less experienced players, these clubs feature a larger offset and cavity back.
    DD has worked hard to provide defaults that should work very well for most players. If you like to have everything tweaked-out just right then you should consider fine tuning your clubs and creating a new clubset configuration. You cannot edit any of the 4 default clubsets.
    Configure new clubsets
    1. From Menu, click Clubsets. The Clubset Configuration dialog box appears.
    2. Click New. The New Clubset field appears.
    3. In the Clubset Name field, enter a unique, appropriate name for your clubsets.
    4. In the Copy of field, select the clubs that the new clubs most resemble, and then click OK. The name now appears in the Clubset list.
    5. Select the new clubset, and then click Edit. The Edit Club page appears.
    6. In the Type field, select the type of club, and complete all fields related to that club. FieldDescriptionTypeSelect the first club in your clubset. Once you click Next, you will continue with the same information for each club in your clubset.Shaft LengthLength of the club shaft (such as, 39 inches).Avg. DistanceThe distance at which you want this club to be used automatically by Auto Caddie within OptiShot. It will appear automatically in the Club field when this distance to hole is reached.LoftLoft of the club in degrees (such as, 27 degrees).OffsetThe amount that the hosel is offset from the face of the club. You may find that your club manufacturer provides club specifications on their website. This is the most accurate source of this information. If not you can contact them and they can usually provide a specification sheet for your clubs.Speed Adj.Changing this percentage affects clubhead speed and distance hit.Distance Adj.This can be used to adjust the distance calculation. This also can be used as a handicap, for example, if you are playing with a novice, you can change this to 200% and their shots will go twice as far, thus making things even.
    7. Click Next.
    8. Repeat the previous two steps for all clubs in the clubset, and then click OK. You are returned to the fairway.
    Hopefully that helps...

Merry Christmas to All and to All a Good Round of Golf!
    Cory

OK so let me ask... I have set all my club offsets and shaft lenths and loft according to Pings web site. The one issue I am finding is that even though I have a 5 iron at 175, it seems that everytime I hit it I always always always come up 10 - 15 yards short. now in real life I hit the club 175.
    So you are saying that I should up the %age of that club to get to my desired length?

Can you also explain to me why the software never suggests to use my lob wedge?
    How do I instruct the software to select this club lets say 40 yards and in?

Hey Caddieshack,

To answer your questions:
    1. So you are saying that I should up the %age of that club to get to my desired length? Yes

2. Can you also explain to me why the software never suggests to use my lob wedge? Not to answer with questions, but... what distance do you have your lob wedge set to? This is with your custom clubset right? Also how close have you been to the pin and have you been in both rough and fairway where the club should have been selected?

How do I instruct the software to select this club lets say 40 yards and in? I believe that it also checks the lie, but I will see what I can find for you.

Cheers,
    Cory

To get your lob wedge working within 40 yards, simply make a custom club set, edit the club in question and change the Average Distance to 40.

Let us know how well that works for you.

Cheers,
    Cory

Sand Wedge purgasoj is on a distinguished road

little off topic

Cory,
    Did you ever get your DIY site up and running yet?

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Par2Pro View Post
    To get your lob wedge working within 40 yards, simply make a custom club set, edit the club in question and change the Average Distance to 40.

Let us know how well that works for you.

Cheers,
    Cory

I have that club set up for 69 yards, but the software always gives me a SW. You think lowering the distance might prompt it to give it to me.

OK new question.... I am in a greenside bunker.... I set up and hit my shot like I really would in a bunker....does the software really treat the bunker differently than lets say rough or fairway? Do I have to tell the software to hit it highest for a bunker shot or does it naturally assume that and have those properties built into the bunker settings.
    I know that when creating a course in TW that you give each type of lie different properties that effect the ball on impact.

Jeff - I am starting work on the DIY site next week. Been swamped helping everyone get their Christmas toys

Caddishack - yes, the distance should be fixed once you change it, but let me know how it goes.

To answer your other question, yes your lie should impact how the system reads - meaning if you hit out of a bunker it should reduce your calculated distance, launch, etc. based on your lie.

Merry HoHoHo
    Cory

thanks jeff

Putter rofox is on a distinguished road

Toe Hits

Quote Originally Posted by Newbiegolfer View Post
    Hello,

We recently purchased a Optishot simulator and we're having a few problems. I read through the forum and I see some people are having similar problems but I haven't seen final fixes.

When we first plugged the Optishot in and started swinging it was reading the face wide open. I figured this would be the case from other forum posts and went in and created a custom club set based on the Specs of Taylormade's site (09 Burners). I added the 1" of length, and the offset (converted from mm to inches). I then proceeded to hit the ball, but it was still going right. I'm wondering if I entered the offset in properly. All other measurements were in inches so I converted the 4.6mm offset of my 7 iron and entered 0.181 into the field. This didn't seem to work. The only way I could get ball flight to go straight was to enter "1" in the field, then it was either straight, or had a draw, which is normally what I hit. I'd like to know if this is normal, or if "1" is way to much offset and if its messing up the calculations.

In addition, if I swing my irons over the tee it always says I've hit the toe of the club. If I move the ball outwards between the tee and the side furthest from me then I get center contact every time. This is only for irons, the driver appears to register properly.

Anyone have similar problems, and what was your solution.
    <<<<<<<<<<<

I have those myself and I don't believe that is accurate to my real swing.When I set up like a .hank, then I also get Center contact
    The alignment to my Projector screen Flag, and Led Mat, seem to line up fine
    Thanks for the post..
    Ron rofox

Optishot Troubleshooting

Hey All,

Here is a great troubleshooting guide from DD:

There are three possible parts to club setting issues: lighting in the room, Swing Pad integrity, and software adjustments.

The most common cause of inaccurate results is lighting. Following the guidelines below should help to mitigate erroneous swing results.
    • OptiShot works best when used in a room with fluorescent lighting.

• Warehouse lighting such as Sodium Vapor or Metal Halide also work very well.
    • Incandescent, halogen, and day light in even small indirect amounts may negatively affect performance.
    • Shadows from objects such as the club shaft and the golfer also may negatively affect performance.
    • Overhead light is generally better than light from the side of the room.
    Something else to keep in mind is that irons will tend to produce more accurate results compared to woods. Drivers like the R9, R11, Burner or the King Cobra for example do not work well with OptiShot because of the intricate design on their underside. We have found that drivers with a smooth and reflective bottom will yield more accurate results with OptiShot than those with an irregular and non reflective bottom.

If your lighting is properly set up and you are still having an issue try running OptiShot with the Swing Pad connected and turn off or at least dim all the lights in the room and observe the infrared sensors. With the exception of the Green/Red status light, every other bulb should glow faintly red. If some are out that should be lit then the Swing Pad should be replaced.

If your lighting is properly set up and you are still getting inaccurate results then you could create a custom club set (click link below). Select the actual club you are using, take a few swings and observe the results. If the results are not quite what you would expect then you may edit a number of factors that may bring your swing results in line. For instance, if your club face is always open you could try setting the club's offset to something dramatic like -5.9 and observe the results. Then you could dial in that number bit by bit until the ball flies true. Next you might edit the club's speed adjustment up or down from 100% (200% maximum) to bring the club head speeds in line with what you would expect. Then observe the distance the ball is traveling. If that is off you could make an adjustment to the Distance Adjustment up or down from 100% (200% maximum) until the distances are correct. You would then do this for each club.
    http://support.dancindogg.com/practi...-configuration

Cheers,
    Cory

Thread Information