+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road

Golf in Scotland

Looking for some advice on golfing in Scotland from those that have been there.

First, I'll be staying with relatives about 30 minutes from St Andrews so I'm not looking for golf + accommodation packages - just golf. I'll be there in mid-November, which is off-season so courses should not be too crowded (I hope). I plan on getting a GAO membership so I can show a handicap card - unless someone has a better idea...

I'm going to try to get on the Old Course by showing up as a walk-on single early in the morning (I've heard the chances good at that time of year), or through the lottery. I would be interested in opinions on other courses in the area worth checking out.

I haven't decided whether to bring my clubs with me or rent there, but I'm leaning towards the latter. Any advice would be appreciated.

Scratch Player kilmidyke is on a distinguished road kilmidyke's Avatar
    Play everything you can in the immediate area. I dont think you'll be disappointed with any of them.
    Officially there are 45 courses in the area. Some will be great others just simply good.
    http://www.visitfife.com/golf/golfguide10

Like the site says...."there is only one home of golf"!

6 Iron bbbeam is on a distinguished road

North Berwick is a must play

My big Scotland golfing trip was in May 2009 - played three courses around Edinburgh (North Berwick, Muirfield, Crail) then three course at St. Andrews (St. A - New, St. A - Old, Carnoustie).

Off all them (including the Open Championship courses) - North Berwick was the most fun, so I consider it a must play.

Also, if (or when) I go again, I will play more "mid-range" courses and less "high-end / championship courses" - you get the same Scotland golf experience without the high $ and pretentious attitude (althought I still want to try Kingsbarns and Castle course as they looked specatular).

Have Fun!

Scratch Player kilmidyke is on a distinguished road kilmidyke's Avatar
    North Berwick is a great course. you guys are making me feel a little home sick!

Although not in Scotland, so I appologize for the thread jack, this course is still a favourite of mine and goes to prove that there are great golf courses out there off the beaten track that dont get much press.
    http://www.brancepeth-castle-golf.co.uk/home.asp

The same is true all over Scotland....X 10!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Don't do the lottery if you're a single. Waste of time. Just show up at the starter's booth at the crack of dawn, and they'll get you out.

St. Andrews New was a treat too. Very easy to get on there.

There's one called Stonehaven that I've always wanted to play, but didn't get the chance (maybe next time). It's not long, but 14 of the holes are south of the railway tracks and some overhang the cliffs. It's a beautiful sight.

http://www.stonehavengolfclub.com/
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Just returned from our third trip to Scotland Diane is already planning the 4th There is no need to play the up-scale courses---mid range will do quite nicely-same rough--same bunkers same fairways etc etc etc. Bring balls---Pro v1 were going for almost the equivilant of 100.00 per doz I checked on shipping my clubs etc---too costly and a real hassle. Calloway sets for 25 pounds at Carnoustie---10 pounds down the road--supplied by Carnoustie Enjoy--we did
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Thread Information