CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood hackzaw is on a distinguished road

Temporary Green - Match Play Scoring

At my home course, we have a Ryder Cup style tourney this weekend (which I proudly made the team).

Unfortunately, this past weekend, some idiots decided a great way to watch the moon light was in their 4-wheeler doing donuts on our 12th green; so bad it's unplayable.

This weekend past, they put a temporary green at the end of the fairway which totally sucked. This particular fairway isn't even in the best condition, so putting on it is rediculous.

So, how do you conduct a match play style game to a temporary green? Do you hole out? Is it an automatic two putt? Is it a max two putt or less?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Decision 33-8/1 Local Rule for Temporary Putting Green Waives Requirement to Hole Out

Q: A course has been going through a period of renovation necessitating the use of temporary putting greens from time to time.
    A Local Rule states that a player whose ball lies on a temporary green may either pick up his ball, counting two putts, or putt out.
    Is such a Local Rule authorized?

A: No. Rule 1-1 provides: "The Game of Golf consists in playing a ball with a club from the teeing ground into the hole by a stroke or successive strokes in accordance with the Rules." Any Local Rule under which a player would not be required to play the ball into the hole waives this basic Rule and is not authorized.

In other words, you can't pick up your ball until you're either finished the hole, you concede the hole to your opponent, or your opponent concedes your next stroke.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

3 Wood hackzaw is on a distinguished road
    We had a preliminary meeting last night on how our "Ryder Cup" is going to take place. The discussion came up about how the temporary green hole will be played. They were talking about making a local rule for a 2-putt max or better. I told them there was a decision specifically for this situation.

"It's our own Ryder Cup. We can do whatever we want" was the answer. I'm not on the committee so I'm not going to make a stink out of it.

The problem then becomes, how much of your ball has to be on the temporary green? Any part touching the painted line? Any part on the "putting surface"? I can see how putting out is just simpler. It's the same for everyone.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by hackzaw View Post
    We had a preliminary meeting last night on how our "Ryder Cup" is going to take place. The discussion came up about how the temporary green hole will be played. They were talking about making a local rule for a 2-putt max or better. I told them there was a decision specifically for this situation.

"It's our own Ryder Cup. We can do whatever we want" was the answer. I'm not on the committee so I'm not going to make a stink out of it.

The problem then becomes, how much of your ball has to be on the temporary green? Any part touching the painted line? Any part on the "putting surface"? I can see how putting out is just simpler. It's the same for everyone.
    Just have the rule about the ball being on the green the same as it normally is. If any part of the ball touches the temporary green, it's on the green. Pretty simple. You'd probably define the "green" as including the painted line.

Thread Information