100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar

How to bring ball flight down?

Just as the title says. I've always had a high ball flight. All clubs including driver, but not my 4 wood. I don't mind this so much with my 9 through wedges but would love to get the rest down some. I'm sure i'm losing 15-25 yards on most shots and probably more with the driver. Any insights would be appreciated.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    look for some lower launching shafts. Also try teeing it lower.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

3 Wood goley is on a distinguished road
    Any time the ball is on the ground in order to not have the ball fly too high you have to hit down on the ball and have forward shaft lean. Most of the time that I see people that have a hard time with too much height on the ball they are adding loft to the club through impact. It is usually caused by having the clubface too open on the downswing and to stop the ball from flying to the right the person will flip the hands to square the face. The problem with this is that it will turn a 7 iron into a 9 and the person will have a hard time taking a divot after the ball. First thing to check for would be that the clubface is not opening too much in the backswing then not opening on the downswing. Try hitting some small pitch shot where you almost feel as if you are closing the face on the back swing and holding it closed on the downswing and hitting some low punch shots where the hands are well in front of ball at impact. Also try hitting some shots out of a divot. If this doesnt work get on some high speed video camera where all the guess work is taken out of it.

Hope this helps.

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    most of the time its because you have a steep angle of attact to the ball. Im opposite...I stay behing the ball and hit a low flight. Try keeping a little more weight on your back leg and keep your head behind the ball through impact.
    "If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first." Kirk Cobain

Putter stevej is on a distinguished road
    I would try moving the ball back in your stance, at least to the midpoint. This would allow the descending blow that is needed.

6 Iron cobra is on a distinguished road cobra's Avatar
    Try putting the ball back in your stance and grip down with a 3/4 follow thru.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra View Post
    Try putting the ball back in your stance and grip down with a 3/4 follow thru.
    I don't think he's looking to learn how to play a knock down, I think the OP is looking to lower his ball flight for his normal golf shots.

Hybrid keble is on a distinguished road
    very simple answer: the ball flight is high= bad impact alignment.

the solution: 1, get Tour Striker Pro, train to have better impact alignment, ball will launch low and fly high.
    2, try to short ur backswing, overswinging can cause the downswing too handy, that could cause back impact alignment too.
    3, try to not tilt ur spine back in downswing, tilt ur spine back too much in downswing.
    4, start ur downswing by pulling ur LEFT hip back.

after all, you will produce a beautiful draw instead of a powerless high fade.

I don't agree about changing shafts, or move ball position. If you have a great impact alignment, even u put golf ball more toward to ur left feet, you will still hit everything launch pretty low, then fly high.
    Last edited by keble; 10-04-2010 at 11:52 PM.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    See a pro and get a lesson.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Hybrid keble is on a distinguished road
    I recommend to use Tour Striker Pro version and train urself first. It's not always lucky to find a good CPGA teacher in local area. Some teachers just play good golf, but they don't know about teaching, they will only do bad to ur golf game. I had been there. now I found a good teacher in local and I still stick with him for long time.

a very easy example here: are there ANY golf teacher really mentioned about how to use PIVOT in your downswing? (which I think it's the most important part in a golf swing) or they just simply tell you what's wrong in your backswing POSITIONALLY? (it's important, but depends on what stage you are at)

Its all about clubface control.... until you learn that.. bonne chance

Gap Wedge Houdini is on a distinguished road Houdini's Avatar

less club head speed = lower flight

the easiest way to hit it lower is produce less clubhead speed. swing easier the ball flight will be lower. Think about it most beginners, seniors, and the weaker lady players have trouble getting the ball in the air.

swing easy - 75 to 80% and your flight will be lower or more importantly low enough.

Find out what your real problem is and fix it... then rip it... or slow down and hit it like a beginner senior weak lady..

4 Iron Domo is on a distinguished road Domo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goley View Post
    Find out what your real problem is and fix it... then rip it... or slow down and hit it like a beginner senior weak lady..
    love it goley!

Fairway Junkie calleygolf is on a distinguished road
    Read this and see if any of the following apply, if not post a video of your swing and I can see if there is anything that stands out

http://www.answerway.com/faqshow2.ph...aquid=Dathaeus

Gap Wedge Steel is on a distinguished road Steel's Avatar
    I think you need to identify the cause first, and then work on a specific fix or equipment change, ie. shaft change. How far are you hitting your irons? post some distances, what kind of a handicap do you play off? if your a good player and just hitting the ball too high maybe you need some lower trajectory shafts, or lofts checked on your irons, I get my lofts checked and adjusted every year. post a video of your swing
    A man's got to know his limitations

Sand Wedge wagolfpro is on a distinguished road
    JST, there is no reason to put too much into most of these responses until you know the cause of your ball flight. As you can see while reading, a lot of the advice directly contradicts other pieces of advice! Find a good teaching pro local to you, and have your swing analyzed, then your equipment if necessary. In my experience, the equipment is the problem only about 5% of the time. Without seeing your swing, no one can accuratley suggest a fix. I'm sure guys here will know of some good pros in your area, and now is the best time to work on your swing mechanics...that's why I do lessons all winter on my simulator with my students. Good Luck!

Thread Information