100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar

Pot use before a round of golf

We know from scientific studies that pot is a dangerous illegal drug that ruins lives. But a friend of mine is thinking of smoking pot to relieve pain while playing golf, can he be DQ'd in a tournament or matchplay for playing golf stoned?

Thanks.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

i found this statement following the arrest of Matthew Every in an Iowa hotel room:

"The PGA Tour does test players for marijuana use as part of its mandatory drug testing, but the Tour does not publicly name players who test positive for recreational drugs."

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    We know from scientific studies that pot is a dangerous illegal drug that ruins lives. But a friend of mine is thinking of smoking pot to relieve pain while playing golf, can he be DQ'd in a tournament or matchplay for playing golf stoned?

Thanks.
    i sure hope not.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    I'd encourage all of my fellow competitors to get high before playing against me in the hopes that they'd be too mellowed out to care about the game and let me win

Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    I'd encourage all of my fellow competitors to get high before playing against me in the hopes that they'd be too mellowed out to care about the game and let me win
    You let me know how many you want me to roll, then you let me know how much you want to play for, and ill prove your theory wrong.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    is a dangerous drug that ruins lives.
    I think you're confusing pot with alcohol
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    I think you're confusing pot with alcohol
    good call.

5 Wood leafseh is on a distinguished road leafseh's Avatar
    What about during?
    Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

5 Wood par72 is on a distinguished road par72's Avatar
    Toronto, former and often back Ottawanian
    This is a silly thread, I cant tell if hes serious, joking or trolling us?
    Fairways and Greens!

Quote Originally Posted by par72 View Post
    This is a silly thread, I cant tell if hes serious, joking or trolling us?
    if a player tests positive for a recreational drug like pot, cocaine, alcohol; are they DQ'd from that tournament/match? that's what i want to know.

Unless he's on the tour it is a silly question, and I he is on tour you wouldn't be asking here.

if a player tests positive for a recreational drug like pot, cocaine, alcohol; are they DQ'd from that tournament/match? that's what i want to know.
    Fairways and Greens!

Quote Originally Posted by par72 View Post
    Unless he's on the tour it is a silly question, and I he is on tour you wouldn't be asking here.
    It seems like you don't care what the answer to my question is, so why do you bother posting in here.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    It usually depends on the specific Code Of Conduct of the regional golf association where the tournament is being held. For example, the OVGA has a strict policy (as I am sure do many others) regarding the use or posession of drugs and the use of alcohol.

Violations of the OVGA Code of Conduct include...

7. Possession or use of illegal drugs;
    8. Use of alcohol by junior participants or any abuse of alcohol by adult participants;

From a strict RCGA Rule Book interpretation, there really isn't anything mentioned specifically. However, Rule 33-7 would have some bearing here, in the case of a serious breach of etiquette.

Now, if the pot was properly medically prescribed, the player would have to present that information to the committee for a ruling, prior to competing.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Actually I gave you an answer you just don't understand. You have failed to give any reasonable context that would help answer your question. Like I asked, is your friend a touring Pro? Doesnt he play NCAA golf or on a tour somewhere. Otherwise only a fool would think that any random amateur tournament would have the mine, time or energy to do testing for steroids, let alone recreational drugs and then DQ players for it.

The other reason this question is so ridiculous, other than the way it was phrased, is any REAL competition run by a governing body would have a set of rules in place that were are than easy enough to find. The rules would detail any and all of what you want to know. So I don't need to get lost, I am already lost as to what is going through your mind?

It seems like you don't care what the answer to my question is, so why do you bother posting in here.
    Fairways and Greens!

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    You might want to refine your question a bit. Are you suggesting that pot, coke and alcohol are all on a par?

Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

I think that you should examine your premise. My understanding is that the scientific literature does not support it.

We know from scientific studies that pot is a dangerous illegal drug that ruins lives. ...
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    On a pro tour I suspect a player would be DQ'd if they tested positive for any recreational drug...including marijuana (or more likely have the result revoked as the tests take time to complete)

I was tested often during my Rugby career and it was made VERY clear to us by our clubs what we could and could not use. Even some things you might think harmless where banned (NightQuill, Caffeine etc). The IRB and RFU (the Rugby organising bodies) simply took the IOC and WADA lists and copied them.

I'm guessing the PGA/USGA would do the same and use the same list. All the drugs you mentioned are on that list. What sanctions they would then impose I do not know as the PGA Tour is notoriously secretive about such things.

In a local amateur tournament I would think your friends chances of getting tested are zero so unless he was obviously stoned or was caught in the act, well who would know?

The RCGA Code of Conduct contains the following provision:

VIOLATIONS OF THE CODE OF CONDUCT ON THE GOLF COURSE
    • Unsportsmanlike conduct, including abusive language, club throwing, disrespect to volunteers, officials or fellow competitors, or abuse of golf course property.
    • Use of drugs or alcohol.
    • Failure to adhere to the dress code during practice round or tournament play.

As I read it, the Code prohibits the use of drugs or alcohol "on the golf course." If that assumption is correct, then I see no reason why one who tested positive for earlier marijuana use (a few days before the tournament) would necessarily be in jeopardy of this policy. If I am correct in this regard, then no distinction should be made under the policy between someone who had a few beers the night before and another who smoked a joint.

From The RCGA Code of Conduct on thier website:

VIOLATIONS OF THE CODE OF CONDUCT OFF THE GOLF COURSE
    • Any vandalism at a host hotel, abusive behaviour to host family or their property.
    Any other conduct not becoming of an RCGA participant.

With all due respect, and whether we personally agree or disagree, I think it could be argued that possessing and using a criminal substance could easily be viewed as "not becoming a RCGA perticipant"

Consuming alcohol in moderation ("a few beers the night before") is NOT a crime.

BUT, as I said above, unless you are playing in a professional event I would estimate your chances of being tested precisely zero. If you are playing in a professional event it is probably minutely above zero.

thank you Mpare and Goochy.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Now I'll know whats up if Pablo comes to the course with bloodshot eyes!

Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    Now I'll know whats up if Pablo comes to the course with bloodshot eyes!
    I wonder if medicinal pot is covered under my health plan. i should ask.

I cannot recall any case of excessive drinking or DUI that has resulted from an individual being DQ'd from a tournament or suspended from the Tour. Can you?

Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    From The RCGA Code of Conduct on thier website:

VIOLATIONS OF THE CODE OF CONDUCT OFF THE GOLF COURSE
    • Any vandalism at a host hotel, abusive behaviour to host family or their property.
    Any other conduct not becoming of an RCGA participant.

With all due respect, and whether we personally agree or disagree, I think it could be argued that possessing and using a criminal substance could easily be viewed as "not becoming a RCGA perticipant"

Consuming alcohol in moderation ("a few beers the night before") is NOT a crime.

BUT, as I said above, unless you are playing in a professional event I would estimate your chances of being tested precisely zero. If you are playing in a professional event it is probably minutely above zero.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    I cannot recall any case of excessive drinking or DUI that has resulted from an individual being DQ'd from a tournament or suspended from the Tour. Can you?

Lol...there was that lovely image of JD in those nice Orange coveralls after being picked up a little the worse for wear outside Hooters.

I thought that it was the steak knives that did him in.

Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    Lol...there was that lovely image of JD in those nice Orange coveralls after being picked up a little the worse for wear outside Hooters.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    As long as they do not ban arthirtis pain relievers I am good to go!!!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    We know from scientific studies that pot is a dangerous illegal drug that ruins lives.
    Really? Which 'scientific studies' were these?

Pot has actually been proven to be beneficial for people suffering from chronic pain, cancer, HIV, diabetes, and a host of other ailments. I don't want to railroad your thread though.

I think your buddy should just keep quiet about his choice of pain relief lest those ignoramuses on their moral high-horses (get it? "high horses" ) would prefer he suffer.

I'm pretty sure if he showed up and said "I'm baked" he would be DQ'd.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    Really? Which 'scientific studies' were these?

Pot has actually been proven to be beneficial for people suffering from chronic pain, cancer, HIV, diabetes, and a host of other ailments. I don't want to railroad your thread though.

I think your buddy should just keep quiet about his choice of pain relief lest those ignoramuses on their moral high-horses (get it? "high horses" ) would prefer he suffer.

I'm pretty sure if he showed up and said "I'm baked" he would be DQ'd.
    i was being really sarcastic with that opening sentence but didn't put the smiley face.

and i agree with the rest of your post, until pot becomes legal pple who choose to use it should not advertise that they do.

3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar
    Worst. Thread. Ever.

worst avatar ever.

Thread Information