100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22

Thread: P3pro users?

Sand Wedge jimmyjames is on a distinguished road
    I've recently noticed something curious with regard to club face readings. The initial reading seems reasonable (usually reads open say 3-5 degrees) the third gate will read closed, say 5 degrees, but the middle, or impact sensor sometimes reads as much as 10-15 degrees closed? I suppose it is possible I am closing and then opening the club face, but it seems unlikely. Especially since I would have to be resisting the natural release and roll of the club. Overall the readings seem to be fairly accurate, both path and club face, but the impact reading doesn't make sense to me. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue.

Eagle SFR is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjames View Post
    I've recently noticed something curious with regard to club face readings. The initial reading seems reasonable (usually reads open say 3-5 degrees) the third gate will read closed, say 5 degrees, but the middle, or impact sensor sometimes reads as much as 10-15 degrees closed? I suppose it is possible I am closing and then opening the club face, but it seems unlikely. Especially since I would have to be resisting the natural release and roll of the club. Overall the readings seem to be fairly accurate, both path and club face, but the impact reading doesn't make sense to me. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue.
    I have not noticed that in all the testing I have been doing. The odd time I will get a weird reading but after blowing out the sensors the next swing is fine so that tells me that if the odd sensor gets covered or dirty it may throw an odd reading. The other times its the strip on the club that has been ripped off or part ripped off.

The only time I might get a major change in the club reading is on the last row and when you hit a real ball off the toe or somthing that would cause the face to change after impact or you have hit into the pad and bounced your club over the last row.

The above read could happen if you hit a real ball off the toe where it would cause you to open the face after impact.

This type of issue would be exactly what I would think could happen if your pad was set on a foam bed that would allow the pad to give a bit or move and thus by the time your club passed the last row the pad would have shifted and caused that reading. However if you are not using any foam under the pad I would look into that.

Is this with the stock pad? Is this with a real ball being used?

Almost golf balls and no foam pad. I have the grass top II. It doesnt do it every time, and I fully acknowledge it could be me. It just seems curious because it would seem to defy natural physics. It has also been refusing to read any swings after I hit a few shots until I close out of everything and restart. Even. Sensors are clean.

3 Wood northgolf is on a distinguished road
    Jimmyjames,

I had much the same experience. I eventually just shelved the P3Pro. I had a grass top and real balls.

Almost golf balls and no foam pad. I have the grass top II. It doesnt do it every time, and I fully acknowledge it could be me. It just seems curious because it would seem to defy natural physics. It has also been refusing to read any swings after I hit a few shots until I close out of everything and restart. Even. Sensors are clean.
    If on those hits you have hit down into the pad they could alter your club after the impact and then give a drastic read on the follow through. Try taking a bunch of swing without a ball and not touching the grass with the club. Could you get it to do it.

The having to restart the program after a few swings is not right. Have you tried to just remove the power cord then plug back in? Would it work again without re booting?
    Do you notice this more on the reg P3Pro (driving range etc.) or in the Prem. Courses.

I might try to do an uninstall and reinstall. It's a pain in the butt but... might help. With the weird readings, any chance you are close to a window and getting a bit of flash off part of the club that may not have black covering the chrome or lights too bright. I have mine in my shop now and will be a bit of light through a window and at the right time of day effects the pad til I block that light.

Have you had a chance to test the file out in the Prem Courses?

SFR, the same thought occurred to me today. It could be I am hitting the heel of the club on the pad right before impact, which would cause the club face to jerk shut momentarily. I haven't had a chance, but I am going to try teeing it up to avoid hitting the pad. I haven't tried the file yet because I have just been using it for practice. I need to get an impact screen. Plus it has been so nice here I actually got to play golf outside. I will try it soon.

Try to crumple up a piece of paper like Chuck said and use that to focus on and hit and you don't need a hitting screen.

Yes if you swing with out hitting a ball and not touching the pad you should not get those readings. If you do on the center row there may be an issue. I do get some wilder readings on the last row but that no longer plays into the ball flight and more of just the club info for you to see what it did, but the impact row should be propper or the pad may be defective. There is a diagnostics (sp??) in the P3Pro which when you run shows all the sensors you pass over and they will show what is read. You could take some swings on that and see what shows.
    Last edited by SFR; 04-30-2012 at 05:27 PM.

3 Wood Stonebattle is on a distinguished road
    When I first got my P3pro I tried a lot of swings without taping my clubs and got similar results as many of you discribe above. I also had some lighting issues but corrected those. Since I started taping clubs I have only had issues when the sensor was dirty.

I've have also had a few friends swing on the P3pro and some of them have a hard time getting the results they think is reasonable and I have to agree the results they see is not consistant with their results on the course. This is also with taped clubs.

I watched one of my friends closely, that had issues getting reasonable results, and he swings so far inside on his backswing the club shaft is above his head. He appears to approach the ball from way inside with the club face closed to his club path. He tends to push hook the ball on the course. For his swings, the sensor often did not record results and when it did the results were often more of a push than anything else.

There is a way to make some of those swings register that may now end up as a wiff. I have been looking at the club penalty and how much you need to miss hit the sweet spot on the club face before you get a penalty added to the distance. Also looking at the numbers that read the club face size and with adjusting you can get some of those wild swings, that still hit the ball, register as a hit but with penalty. I am trying to get it to register about a 10 percent penalty for a half inch miss on the sweet spot and more after that. Also setting mine up so there is a penalty for anything off the sweet spot and only register a perfect 1.5 smash factor if you are dead on. By doing this you can swing hard but if you miss the sweet spot it looses yardage like it should. Just like those golf shots on the course when you think you are just laying up so you swing softer and the ball ends up going further with the easy swing.

3 Wood Stonebattle is on a distinguished road
    I also adjusted the sweet spot numbers. Although, I tend to change them to get more penalty. Your thoughts to get a 10 percent penalty with a half inch miss is interesting. There is little doubt that more can be done in the area of sweet spot penalties with the P3pro. For example, thin shots often show good results even though the software shows it clearly as a thin shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonebattle View Post
    I also adjusted the sweet spot numbers. Although, I tend to change them to get more penalty. Your thoughts to get a 10 percent penalty with a half inch miss is interesting. There is little doubt that more can be done in the area of sweet spot penalties with the P3pro. For example, thin shots often show good results even though the software shows it clearly as a thin shot.
    I found I had to adjust more than just the penalty numbers as the club size comes into play and changes how the pad reads the strip. Stock settings I found would show a whiff if you got too much on the toe even though you may still have hit the ball. That was the case with one of my kids but I was able to make those shots register now with loss of distance but then you do have to change more than just penalty numbers. There is a point where the pad systems can only do so much when reading a club but it makes for a much more real round when you know you miss hit a shot and then see the ball fall short of the target.

The 10 percent for 1/2 inch was from a golf site that talked about swing speed and ball carry and wind effects etc.

SFR, I had a chance to try your file. Seems to help with bunker shots and definitely notice more yards after the ball lands on the fairway. Putting is still frustrating. My 12 year son enjoyed playing, until he had to putt...he quit after five putting from 12 feet. The ball just rolls too far. It seems to jump of the face even with the slightest stroke.

Thanks for working on it.

SFR, I had a chance to try your file. Seems to help with bunker shots and definitely notice more yards after the ball lands on the fairway. Putting is still frustrating. My 12 year son enjoyed playing, until he had to putt...he quit after five putting from 12 feet. The ball just rolls too far. It seems to jump of the face even with the slightest stroke.

Thanks for working on it.
    Roll on fairway can be adjusted if too much.
    Roll on greens with putts only can be adjusted with the slider in the game setup. I tend to put mine at almost 2.

With putting the red light must be on for short putts. Can't do much else with speed of the putts. I tend to put with the auto putt set at either 1 or the next one so you have one putt then it's a gimmie or max 3 etc. or set the gimmie range to 3 feet.

9 Iron roach5539 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by SFR View Post
    I am looking for anyone who has the Prem Courses and would like to test out a file. I have found ways to try to make the play in them more realistic. I think its close. Just need other input as to how close it is. What there is:

Much reduced jump in the putting, better SW out of the bunker, more bite on SW, much higher ball flight for all clubs which helps the shape of the shots and stopping on the greens. There is a bit more but would like to get others feedback first. This is more of a fix until P3Pro has a chance to fix the issues they are working on. Just want to help those of us who have the courses and would like better play.
    SFR,
    Tried to send you a PM regarding testing your P3Pro tweaks (posted last month). However, your inbox is full.. "using to much space" you can't receive PM until you clean out your box.

I recently purchased the P3Pro and received two premium courses. I have completed my basement setup including subfloor, dual webcams, etc.. Still waiting for my PR-20 Impact screen to show up - Currently using a big piece of carpet hanging from the ceiling.. Once I get it completed I will post some pics.

I have really enjoyed all the feedback the device is provided me so far... Like many others I have learned the importance of cleaning the sensors and proper lighting.

Let me know if you can still send me the file.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roach5539 View Post
    SFR,
    Tried to send you a PM regarding testing your P3Pro tweaks (posted last month). However, your inbox is full.. "using to much space" you can't receive PM until you clean out your box.

I recently purchased the P3Pro and received two premium courses. I have completed my basement setup including subfloor, dual webcams, etc.. Still waiting for my PR-20 Impact screen to show up - Currently using a big piece of carpet hanging from the ceiling.. Once I get it completed I will post some pics.

I have really enjoyed all the feedback the device is provided me so far... Like many others I have learned the importance of cleaning the sensors and proper lighting.

Let me know if you can still send me the file.

Thanks
    Didn't notice I filled the limit. Should be ok now. Send me your email and I can send you a file.

Just got a new gaming laptop to try and set things up on. I hope it speeds things up as the one I was using was getting bogged down.

I sent you my email.. Thanks SFR!

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    Just got a new gaming laptop to try and set things up on. I hope it speeds things up as the one I was using was getting bogged down.
    Can I ask the specs of the laptop and graphics card?

Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    Can I ask the specs of the laptop and graphics card?

Its a gaming laptop Asus G53SW-XA1, Had a screen issue with lines but I use a projector anyway so no big deal. Was around $800 to get it here. Just getting it set up so not even sure if it will be much faster although the graphics run at the highest settings and look good. Not sure yet how much better on the projector.

FEATURES:
    • Intel i7-2630QM (2.0 GHz Quad-Core with Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz)
    • 8GB DDR3 1333MHz, 4 SODIMM Sockets, up to 16GB
    • 500GB HDD (7200RPM); Super-Multi Optical Drive
    • 15.6-Inch FULL HD (1920x1080) LED Display; Nvidia GTX 460M Graphics with 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
    • Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium

New question for P3Pro pads. USB and serial type

Who has both pad styles (USB and Serial to USB)? If so can you putt very slow on the USB (newer) pads?

I never noticed this before but now I find I can't putt slower than about 4.8 to 5 mph swing speed on the newer USB pad. It does not seem to register. I have been using the other Serial cable pad and its the one you swipe across the back row to trigger the slow putt mode. I can go way slower on that pad (in the 2. mph) and it registers.

I remember reading others having issues with putting and not hitting it slow enough. I was thinking more the green speed issue rather than a pad issue.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Who has both pad styles (USB and Serial to USB)? If so can you putt very slow on the USB (newer) pads?

I never noticed this before but now I find I can't putt slower than about 4.8 to 5 mph swing speed on the newer USB pad. It does not seem to register. I have been using the other Serial cable pad and its the one you swipe across the back row to trigger the slow putt mode. I can go way slower on that pad (in the 2. mph) and it registers.

I remember reading others having issues with putting and not hitting it slow enough. I was thinking more the green speed issue rather than a pad issue.

Can anyone else confirm this?
    Bump

Even if you don't have both pad styles what is your feedback on what you can swing for the slowest swing speed and with what pad were you using? Just trying to see if it is just my issue or pad issue.

Ok here is what I found. For my USB pads(new style) I can't have the putter rest on the turf and swing that low to the sensors. It won't register a real slow putt. Once I raised my putter about 2 to 3 inches then it would register a real slow swing.

On the older serial cable pad I was able to rest the putter on the rubber top and it would register the slow swing.

So if you are having trouble with real slow swings registering on the newer USB pads (for those putts only) you need to have more distance between the base of the putter and the sensors.

For those who have an aftermarket turf top (like the diviot pad) you will already be raised up so this type of pad may work better.

Tested SRF Config File

SRF,
    Thanks for sending your file.. Appreciate all the work you have put into making the Premium courses play better. I like the added check on the greens, improved sand play and added roll on the fairway. The penalty changes you made are HUGE and go a long way to making the game more realistic. One should not be able to skull or toe an iron and get away with their normal distance. Nicely done!

I have a couple of questions.
    1. Are the changes you made to the club face sizes direct measurements of your irons?
    2. I had already changed the config file lofts to match my set - I noticed you didn't make any changes in that section. Do you know if this impacts the calculated ball flight? I changed this in the "ClubLoftAngle" section as well as the "GSABackSpin" section.

Thanks,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by roach5539 View Post
    SRF,
    Thanks for sending your file.. Appreciate all the work you have put into making the Premium courses play better. I like the added check on the greens, improved sand play and added roll on the fairway. The penalty changes you made are HUGE and go a long way to making the game more realistic. One should not be able to skull or toe an iron and get away with their normal distance. Nicely done!

I have a couple of questions.
    1. Are the changes you made to the club face sizes direct measurements of your irons?
    2. I had already changed the config file lofts to match my set - I noticed you didn't make any changes in that section. Do you know if this impacts the calculated ball flight? I changed this in the "ClubLoftAngle" section as well as the "GSABackSpin" section.

Thanks,
    Dave
    The club lofts have no effect in the ball flight. You could do a test by setting one at 90 deg for a driver and it will not change your ball flight. The GSAbackspin does change things (for Prem Courses only) and due to making the greens softer I needed to adj that area and some have overspin to make the roll happen. If you adj this area you can always go back. I like to print a hard copy of the file so that I have a reminder of the original file and adjusted. Keep a copy of the original so you always can use that for the reg. P3Pro driving range and two courses there as this file does not play well for them.

The penalty area was a whole different trial and error till I figured it out. This allowed a reading on a hit that was on a toe or heel (that would have been a whiff) but now you do hit the ball but with a loss of yardage. I did use my driver face and my iron face for the measuring but the distance from a sweet spot is the important reading. The numbers are not so much the club face size but rather how far off the sweet spot the hit is and how much penaty to add becasue of it. I based this on about 10% loss yardage for a 1/2" miss. It was quite hard to do this adjustment and if I did not have a swing pendulum made I would never have been able to repeat the same swing and adjust the spot where the simulated club was hitting the ball and adjust untill the club was almost missing the sensors. They might have had the penalty on the light side so the average golfer would not get discouraged. Bad side to it is that you have to have your tee height set up right on or you will also have miss readings. Record those settings once you have them spot on. If you don't like those penalty reading you just need to uncheck that box in P3Pro. I was having issues when my kids were using it and would actually hit the ball but the hit was off enough that it never read as a swing. Now they seem to read better and also are reduced distances due to the miss hit.

**Note you may find a club setting (fairway wood and long irons) that I adjusted to suit my club and may not be yours. You could always set it back to stock settings on those if needed. I found some clubs are linked in the file so for example your PW and GW or LW (can't recall off hand) if adjusted will both change or similar was for the woods.

They are still working on the launch angle issue, so once that is fixed this file will need to be re-set but at least in the meanwhile it lets us play the Prem Courses and have some fun.

Once I get a chance to take my Vector Pro out to the real range and compare real hits to it's output results and if it is bang on I can use this to tweak the side spin. From the one time I had the Pad in a garage and hit out the door to a field, I thought it was not bad as is for most of the hits. The fades were fades and the draws were draws but right now when side by side with the Vector Pro indoors they read off quite often. This could be my setup but will know better once the Vector is tested out side on its own.
    Last edited by SFR; 04-27-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Putter Pross is on a distinguished road
    SFR - I also just recently got the premium courses and am experiencing the same issues as othe in this thread with the greens being too fast/hard to hold chips and putts. Can you document what exact file the "config file" is and what settings to adjust, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Pross View Post
    SFR - I also just recently got the premium courses and am experiencing the same issues as othe in this thread with the greens being too fast/hard to hold chips and putts. Can you document what exact file the "config file" is and what settings to adjust, please?
    Send me a Private message with your email and I can send a form letter regarding the file and how to use it.

Just in case you never sent a PM, left click on a persons name and select private message.

As for green speed putting the best you can do is use the slider in the Prem. Courses and set to 2. You will notice some courses have faster and harder greens than others. That also may be because they really are harder in real life to putt on and have way more slope but in a sim it is hard to see that.

5 Iron chasiv is on a distinguished road
    You can also change the course setting to 'Soft' as you set up your game and that will help with putting.

Putter Pross is on a distinguished road
    Thank you, I'll try that as well.

Pitching Wedge thenootz is on a distinguished road
    Fun on a rainy day at our indoor center on a p3proswing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS3u_4AplVk&feature=plcp

Thread Information