CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter kaushals is on a distinguished road

Optishot - Are sensors supposed to light up?

Hi all!

I'm new to this forum and new to the world of home simulators (got my Optishot earlier this week).

I'm having some problems with the unit, no matter what I can't get consistent readings on face angle / face contact. I read through the big thread and saw a few ppl who had similar problems.

My lighting is good (flourescent overhead everything else blocked out) and I've been testing with a 6 iron. When I take extremely slow test swings with the face angle very exaggerated the results are all over the place. For example I can have the face angle extremely open and it registers as 15 degrees closed. Similar problems with the face contact.

For my "normal" swing, Optishot registers it as way closed which results in a bad hook 90% of the time. In real life though I rarely hook the ball (I slice all the time though). I did make sure I'm setup as right handed on the system.

It got me thinking if my unit was somehow defective. So my question is do the sensors actually light up? Like are they supposed to be glowing red? Mine are a very opaque pink color. The one light (that switches from red to green to tell you things are ready is lit up..but the others, look like they are not even "on").

The reason I ask is the Optishot demo video from the 2010 PGA Merchandise Show @ 1:58 (not sure if the link will work but its on YouTube) there is a clear shot of the sensors and they look bright red.

Also interestingly enough when I got the unit there was no serial number or any printed material inside the box, which I found rather interesting. I bought it brand new and sealed from Amazon. I had to call Dancing Dogg customer support and provide them with my proof of purchase from Amazon to get the S/N to even start the software.

So I'm at a loss here. I'm going to add a second flo light and see if that helps, but would like to get some idea whether or not I should exchange this unit. Amazon has a great return/exchange policy and I'm of course still under Dancing Dogg warranty so I have a lot of options. I'm hoping to get this worked out, because this thing sure is fun!!!

Thanks in advance to everyone,
    ~K

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    What is your set up? make sure you are square to the direction you are hitting. My unit does not light up per say. I would really check your alignment etc. If everything is well ligned up and you still get the erroneous readings then take it back.

Pitching Wedge Nigel_37 is on a distinguished road
    Just a shot in the dark... and I don't mean this to sound the wrong way, but is it possible you're swinging from the left handed side of the mat?

Aside from that, I sure hope the sensors aren't supposed to light up (except for the one green/red one). Mine never have.

Cheers

Ryder Cup Par2Pro is on a distinguished road Par2Pro's Avatar
    The infrared emmitters in the Optishot and P3Pro tend to glow a little and can be seen a lot brighter in different conditions (especially with some digital cameras / video cameras).

You can actually tell if your emmitters are working by looking at them in really low light and waving your hand over them, you should see them getting brighter as your hand passes over them.

Some people just plain don't see it, so don't worry if you can't see it.

Cheers,
    Cory

Thread Information