100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood triple-bogey is on a distinguished road triple-bogey's Avatar

Shanking during chip shots

Title says it all. This is a new ''feature'' in my game...appeared in both of my last two rounds, although not consistently. Obviously I want to get rid of it.

This does not happen with any of my other of shots (i.e. drives, irons, lobs), only when chipping from the fringe with a wedge in my hands. I set up as usual (at least I think so), perform the swing, only to see the ball scoot about 10-20 feet directly to the left (I am a lefty), and typically not even get onto the green (just move to a different part of the fringe ).

I need help! What should I be looking for in my setup and/or execution?

Thanks in advance!
    Is the Pope catholic? Does a bear crap in the woods? Does Ricky Fowler wear orange on finals Sunday?

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    Only thing I can think of is head lifting (D'Oh!) and/or making a very quick,choppy motion while chipping.
    Focus on seeing the grass underneath the ball before looking up and making a smooth, even-tempo stroke through the ball.
    Hopefully this helps.
    Even I've never heard of me

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    i saw a PGA instructional video during the winter that helped me chip with confidence. i've yet to have 1 bad chip all year.

for a lefty,
    -put the ball in the back of your stance (left heel)
    -open stance
    -your weight should be mostly forward (on your right foot).....imagine your left foot almost tippy toeing so that 90% of the weight is on your right foot.
    -to avoid shanking, practice chipping by placing an object (2x4 wood or a club) behind the ball and practice hitting the ball without hitting the object. this will teach you to focus on making good contact with the ball.
    -make a descending blow to the ball, and the let the loft of the club you use determine how much it will roll. wedge, 9iron, 7 iron, etc....
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Thanks guys! All good advice. I will try this out tomorrow.
    Is the Pope catholic? Does a bear crap in the woods? Does Ricky Fowler wear orange on finals Sunday?

Bogie iggsplode is on a distinguished road
    when i do that(and i used to do it a fair bit) it usually means that i have the ball too close to the heel of the club and i end up hitting the ball off the hosel causing it to go sideways.. it took me quite a bit of time at a practice green to figure out thats what i was doing wrong..

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    i saw a PGA instructional video during the winter that helped me chip with confidence. i've yet to have 1 bad chip all year.

-open stance
    If I open the stance, should I also open the clubface?

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by triple-bogey View Post
    If I open the stance, should I also open the clubface?
    the stance is slightly open and the clubhead is facing the target; so the clubhead is normal but will feel like it is closed. this will give you an idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlaZaT44kv4
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    the stance is slightly open and the clubhead is facing the target; so the clubhead is normal but will feel like it is closed. this will give you an idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlaZaT44kv4
    Ok, that's clearer now. That Pivot Pro looks pretty cool!

Thanks for your help! Will let you know how it works out tomorrow. Hopefully the shanks will be a thing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by iggsplode View Post
    when i do that(and i used to do it a fair bit) it usually means that i have the ball too close to the heel of the club and i end up hitting the ball off the hosel causing it to go sideways.. it took me quite a bit of time at a practice green to figure out thats what i was doing wrong..
    Thanks for your input iggslopde. As far as I am aware, I am not standing closer to the ball than I used to, but will double check just to make sure.

3 Wood goley is on a distinguished road
    When I see this happen it is usually caused by the person trying to hold the face open and trying to keep the clubhead going in a straight line towards the target. As a lefty make sure that the path the club head takes after impact is to the right and the face is closing relative to target and staying square to the path. Hope this helps. Good luck!!

Thread Information