100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge SensGolf is on a distinguished road

Irons going the same distance

Hi everyone I'm a new member.I've been playing golf for about 2 years now and this year I have a really grown a passion for it,I work at a driving range and practices almost everyday.Obviously I'm nowhere as good as many others but I'm making good progress.I don't have trouble hitting my irons but I can't seem to right distance out of them.For example, my 6 iron and 7 iron both seem to only go between 100-120 yards.Can anybody help me with this?

3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar
    There are various reasons for a lack of distance. Are you a lady or senior or both? Do you have any physical limitations? Lessons are probably the way to go regardless. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by fourlights View Post
    There are various reasons for a lack of distance. Are you a lady or senior or both? Do you have any physical limitations? Lessons are probably the way to go regardless. Good luck!
    I am 17 years old and I dont really have any physcal limitations(that I know of) but thank you for your advice !

3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar
    It wont take long for you to start hitting quality shots once you've had proper instruction. Golf can be difficult, but is very rewarding as well. Keep at it and you'll get the results!

Bogie iggsplode is on a distinguished road
    you'll probably get sick of hearing this but go take a lesson.. even if it's just one, your instructor will teach you enough in that 1 hour to get you started and to fix any major flaws in your swing you may be developing.. and you're much better off doing it sooner than later.

i didnt take any lessons and spent a few years hacking myself into some bad habits that i now need to conciously be aware if i want to avoid them. i took a series of lessons this year and saw my scores immediatly drop from the 105 range to the mid 90's, but most importantly my ball striking and ball flight have increased dramatically that i know lower scores are coming..

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SensGolf View Post
    For example, my 6 iron and 7 iron both seem to only go between 100-120 yards.Can anybody help me with this?
    The reason for this is that you are not currently generating enough clubhead speed to see a difference. Distance is a function of how fast the club head is travelling when it hits the ball, how much spin is on the ball, etc.

If your 6i and 7i speeds are the same or very close then you probably don't generate enough ball speed/spin to keep the 6i in the air long enough to get extra distance.

This is common with beginners since their clubhead speeds tend to be lower.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Thank you everyone for your advices,I'll probably take a lesson next spring after I finish my year at college.Another question tough : I'm having trouble understanding the lateral transition that needs to be done in the hips in order for it to rotate properly,I've tried that little bump move from my left to right (I'm left handed golfer)and I can't seem to master it.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Thank you everyone for your advices,I'll probably take a lesson next spring after I finish my year at college.Another question tough : I'm having trouble understanding the lateral transition that needs to be done in the hips in order for it to rotate properly,I've tried that little bump move from my left to right (I'm left handed golfer)and I can't seem to master it.
    whenever i have problems with a certain aspect of my swing, i go see my teacher. when i dont have enough money to see my teacher, i go see THIS GUY.

he's right handed but if you look into a mirror that reflects to your computer screen, it will be inverted and look like he's swinging left handed.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    easy drill for your hips, if you've ever played baseball grab any iron in your bag hold it like a baseball bat, try swinging with your arms alone and see and feel how retarded/ackward it feels, its the same transition.

Bogie Kona Golf is on a distinguished road Kona Golf's Avatar
    What are the clubs that you are playing with?

It could easily be that 6 & 7 irons are close to the same specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kona Golf View Post
    What are the clubs that you are playing with?

It could easily be that 6 & 7 irons are close to the same specs.
    Im playing with Top Flite XL .I bought the whole set at golf town.

I think I need to rewrite what I said...My irons are not going the same distance theres differences but I feel that I'm not getting enough distance out of them like my PW only goes about 75-80 yards maybe 90 tops so Im trying to figure how to get more distance out of them

3 Wood triple-bogey is on a distinguished road triple-bogey's Avatar
    Are you hitting down through the ball, or trying to scoop (help it go up in the air) it? Is your divot in front of the ball or behind the ball?
    Is the Pope catholic? Does a bear crap in the woods? Does Ricky Fowler wear orange on finals Sunday?

I tend to have a lifting motion Im trying to get my hands ahead of the ball at impact but im having trouble finding a technique to master it

I tend to have a lifting motion Im trying to get my hands ahead of the ball at impact but im having trouble finding a technique to master it
    That's what I suspected. I will then echo the comments of others before and recommend that you get a lesson or two. Once you get the idea of hitting down instead of lifting up, you will be amazed at how much the ball flies off the clubface and goes further.

Good luck and have fun!
    Is the Pope catholic? Does a bear crap in the woods? Does Ricky Fowler wear orange on finals Sunday?

Yeah thats what I thought .Does anybody have any good recommendation of a good golf trainer or golf school in the outaouais area?

Yeah thats what I thought .Does anybody have any good recommendation of a good golf trainer or golf school in the outaouais area?
    Marc Foucault at Kingsway, or Guy Beaulieu at Chateau Cartier. Both are excellent. There are probably others.

In the meantime (before getting an instructor), I have found the following very useful

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instr...r-hit-it-great

Pay attention to the wrist hinge at the top of the backswing, and the fact that you move into your downswing with the wrists still hinged. That is what will generate the lag (hands in front of the ball) that you need to hit down through the ball.
    Last edited by triple-bogey; 09-04-2010 at 06:22 PM.

Thread Information