100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Bogie iggsplode is on a distinguished road

Membership suggestions - Orleans

hey gang,

so my folks move here this passed weekend. they bought a spot out in orleans, are retired and are now looking for a club to join. stepdad was looking at greyhawk however the clublink initiation fees for the two of them might come to a bit too much (am i right in reading that it's ~8000 for one, ~7000 for the spouse and then 3500 each per year)? ive suggested outaouais and hammond but i know very little about either.. ive played hammond once. what else is there around to look at?

since they dont have many friends in the area yet, they're looking for a club that has a decent members community they can interact with as well, thats just as important to them as havign a decent course to play..

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Easy choice - Outaouais.

If cost was not an issue then Camelot and Greyhawk could also be considered - and I would probably look at them anyway just for comparison purposes.

Hybrid TLB is on a distinguished road
    I'm with Executive Golf and intend to stay with this venue. If I were to join a club, however, I would think seriously about Outaouais. It is one of my favourite courses in the area. Membership for a couple runs around $5,000 per year I believe, but I am not sure about initiation fees.

Hammond is in very bad shape right now (fairways), but Metcalfe and Casselview are nice tracks. Anderson & Emerald Links might be another option. But none of these compare with Outaouais in my view.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    I'm with EG as well and always loved going to play Outaouais. It really had that club members feel to it and was usually quite busy (not always on the golf course, but within the clubhouse as well), plus they have 27 holes as opposed to most courses with 18.
    Don't know if I'm going back there for awhile though now that I'm with CL, so Ill be playing Greyhawk instead

3 Wood Brewcee is on a distinguished road Brewcee's Avatar
    I don't believe Anderson Links has a membership option. I think you can join Emerable links and pay a premium to have playing privaleges at Anderson.

Pineview has a limited number of memerships each year and they are pretty cheap, although course is not great (you do have option of 36 holes). Casselview would be another option in the east end besides what has already been said.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Outaouais if they're looking for a membership at public course.

thanks guys, i figured outaouais would be the best choice. ive never played it myself but know it's spoken of very highly and the price seems to be right.. im with EG as well and suggested they look into that but they're interested in the social aspect just as much as the golfing aspect..

Hybrid TLB is on a distinguished road
    I would highly recommend that they try out one of the associations (EG, RM, CG etc) for a year - go to many of the great courses in the area - and then make a decision.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Outaouais hands down for a semi-private course.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by iggsplode View Post
    ...but they're interested in the social aspect just as much as the golfing aspect..
    Chris (The Saint) is a member of Outaouais so he could probably tell you more about that.

Metcalfe is bit farther out from Orleans but its a nice 27-hole facility that seems to have a very active member community. A lot of social events going on throughout the year - even a few in the off-season. Might be worth checking out.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    I'd recvommend either Outaouais or Metcalfe. However, it really depends on what type of environment and price point they're looking for. The 'O' is a little more upscale than Metcalfe both in course, cost and overall social activity. However, Metcalfe does have 27 and a very, very active social calendar among its members. They really should go out, take a look, have a few rounds and 'dip their toes in the pond' prior to taking the plunge. But my, what a great decision to have to make...lol
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

3 Wood Brewcee is on a distinguished road Brewcee's Avatar
    As a staff/member at Metcalfe I would say we have a very active memberhsip, both golf and social wise. We have monthly friday night dinners, at least one member tournament per month, members night every wednesday on the 9 hole course. I think we have around 200 members. We have a variety of membership options. The restaurant has quality food as well. Probably in the next month or so we will start the "buy your 2011 membership now and play the rest of 2010 for free," however I haven't heard when or if that will start. The two major downsides - from a golf perspective we don't have a driving range for practice, from an after golf perspective we lack a real change room with showers, lockers etc.

5 Wood par72 is on a distinguished road par72's Avatar
    Toronto, former and often back Ottawanian
    Get in touch with CL before just figuring what the cost will be. They will most likely give you a deal if you ask....
    Fairways and Greens!

so it's a done deal now, they joined outaouais after playing all the clubs around them and liked it best.. i still havent played there myself, hoping to check it out next week.

thx for all your input and suggestions.

jon

Bogie irish_OG is on a distinguished road irish_OG's Avatar
    awesome call - its only 12 mins from trim - amazing golf with not too far to go !!

let me know - i try to get out to outaouis once a week.....maybe next friday.

cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by iggsplode View Post
    so it's a done deal now, they joined outaouais after playing all the clubs around them and liked it best.. i still havent played there myself, hoping to check it out next week.

thx for all your input and suggestions.

jon
    - OG

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Can't go wrong with that choice. I'm also at Trim & Watters and its so close to home.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Yup, that's the best choice I'd think too. Great course, great atmosphere!

Quote Originally Posted by irish_one View Post
    awesome call - its only 12 mins from trim - amazing golf with not too far to go !!

let me know - i try to get out to outaouis once a week.....maybe next friday.

cheers,
    they fell in love with it immediatly and joined as soon as they were done the 18..

was gonna try to play the monday after next but got a golf trip to montpellier coming up next weekend.. maybe the week after ill check it out. really looking forward to it.

Thread Information