CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    Another player caught with a rules violation. In yesterdays Safeway Classic Juli had a long wait to tee off on the 10th (I think) and put a club weight on to take some practice swings and at the end of the round was asked about it and under rule 14-3 she was disqualified. I guess this is another stupid rule that players will want removed from the rule book.
    I'm not sure how it is shooting the messenger when the messenger shot first but since I'm the one being quoted here (I can provide the link for the APA style guide for quoting sources if anyone is interested in doing it propoerly) I do swear on the Rules of Golf that I will never post another opinion in any rules related thread on this forum again.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Honestly I think it just gets pretty frustrating when some people think a rule is stupid. Some of them don't want to make an attempt to look at it from the perspective of having a rule that covers a wider set of circumstances than the specific situation being objected to.

The rule Julie Inkster broke is a prime example of that. Her case may sound unnessisarily penal, but a line must be drawn, and she was on the errant side of the line. Recognizing that and then trying to help others understand does not make one "holier than thou".
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

1 Iron PapaPat is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Honestly I think it just gets pretty frustrating when some people think a rule is stupid. Some of them don't want to make an attempt to look at it from the perspective of having a rule that covers a wider set of circumstances than the specific situation being objected to.

The rule Julie Inkster broke is a prime example of that. Her case may sound unnessisarily penal, but a line must be drawn, and she was on the errant side of the line. Recognizing that and then trying to help others understand does not make one "holier than thou".
    Right on the money. This concept is one that creates lots of second guessing and criticism about the rules. Ball moving after address, tamping down spike marks and on and on. As BC and others have questioned before, "If you allow this, what about this?" I also feel that in most cases there is no workable alternative offered because the poster has not considered or offered one. If the RO should have warned DJ about the bunker, what else should he have warned about? Perhaps that he make sure that he not tee up in front of the blocks on each tee.

It is most often not a question of "holier than thou", but a depth of understanding acquired through hard work that most "rules knowledgeable" golfers just don't have. Prior to being a RO, I'm not sure I would have accepted this either. But the truth in my case is that I had no idea how much I had to learn.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Biting the hand that feeds you is a bad idea. If people don't want to learn the rules, don't visit the rules forum. If you do want to leard we have (had) some very knowlegable and qualified folks here who want(ed) to help. A bit more respect has been earned than what I see here. It's shameful.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Biting the hand that feeds you is a bad idea. If people don't want to learn the rules, don't visit the rules forum. If you do want to leard we have (had) some very knowlegable and qualified folks here who want(ed) to help. A bit more respect has been earned than what I see here. It's shameful.

Dan, I understand where you are coming from. The likes of yourself, LobWedge and jvincent are great with the rules. You guys are open to discussion and can see/make suggestions on how a rule could be improved/changed. Then there are others who simply will disagree with someone's opinion or suggestion because "the rules are the rules and that's the way it should be!" Tough not to think they have a "holier than thou" attitude, as you so eloquently put it.

Just look at some of the replies/statements in this thread. No one ever mentioned rules should be removed. No one ever mentioned that not signing a scorecard is the same as grounding a club in the bunker....

I agree, if you put in the time and effort to become a high ranking rules official, respect should be given. But respect is also earned. And making comments like those doesn't get you any respect. When I discuss a rule, all I'm looking for is a little open mindedness. This tunnel vision that exists with some of the rule officials here is difficult to deal with.

Perhaps as opposed to simply replying with "the rules are the rules", why can't they go into some depth to explain why the rule is the way it is?? Instead, they wait until it turns to name calling and the like, then say that they won't make any more posts in this section.

I for one did enjoy BC MIST's rules scenarios where one had to search to find out how a situation should be ruled upon. Although sometimes confusing, they went into detail as why a rule was the way it was.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post

Providing ideas here on how to improve the rules is a good idea. However, other than to eliminate penalties for bad shots or dumb choices, I haven't read any.

That's incredibly disingenuous, to say the least. There was a lengthy debate on here a while back after a player was able to get free relief from a drain in the rough, and ended up being able to hit from the fairway. Myself, and a few others argued that this should not be permitted, as it allowed the player to significantly and undeservedly improve his position.

So, yes, people often complain about the rules being overly punishing. However, to suggest that people only want the rules to make things easier for them is far fom truthful.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    I suggest to Dan that we get rid of the rules discussion forums as there are so many not willing to accept what has been part of the game for so many years.
    I mean no personal offence by this comment - but that is a VERY silly attitude. And it is that attitude that most people have so much trouble with.

There is nothing about tradition that makes it inherently good. Likewise, change is not inherently bad. And questioning that which comes before you IS inherently good. It is the basis for all positive change in the world.

It's disturbing how frequently the most mature individuals on this forum end up having the most immature attitudes.

...and yes...my avatar is a drawing of a kid with balls glued to his chin.
    Last edited by jonf; 08-23-2010 at 04:29 PM.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Pretty sad when people want to "shoot the messenger".

The RO's don't make the rules. They volunteer their time here and on the course to help us to understand them and you guys rag on them like it's your opinion against theirs. Some of you don't seem to understand what a valuable contribution they are bringing to the forum and you just want to insult them for being "holier than thou". What a thankless job.

Not a very proud moment for me. I actually thought ours was a more civilized forum. Apparently it's not. Just another place on the web to argue like kids in a schoolyard. Embarrasing.
    I believe it was the comments re. Dustin Johnson and Juli Inkster, calling them "stupid" and "dumb" and wondering whether a Mr. Rodriguez (from the Canadian Tour) was "a friend of DJ's?" that got a few people's sabres rattling.

If you look a little deeper into the discourse, it's not that uncivilized at all. Just a little more "back and forth" emotion than usual. But we're all adults (I think). I'm pretty sure that a few shouldn't ruin it for all.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar

another quote to munch on .....

“Rules are not necessarily sacred, principles are."

~ Franklin D. Roosevelt

You only get out of something what you put into it

Thread Information