CorporateGolfXtra 2023

View Poll Results: Do you wear sunglasses while you play golf

Voters
203. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

117 57.64%
  • no

47 23.15%
  • sorta (I wear them on the course but remove them to hit shots)

39 19.21%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Playing Winter Rules Swerve is on a distinguished road

Sunglasses while you play?

Summer may be slowly coming to a close, but I am in the market for new sunglasses and it got me thinking - do people play golf with sunglasses? As much as think it is so much more important now I still never do it.

Best case scenario, I could wear them on the course but I would have to take them off whenever I hit a shot (including chipping and putting probably).

What about everyone else?

edit: if anyone has any good suggestions for sunglasses I would like to hear it. Prefer a larger model (i.e. no wire frames)
    Last edited by Swerve; 08-18-2010 at 12:48 PM. Reason: additional info

3 Wood Brewcee is on a distinguished road Brewcee's Avatar
    I play a lot of my rounds at dusk, so the sun is often in my eyes, I only recently started wearing sunglasses and have found it has helped, but normally I will not wear them when hitting shots.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    I started wearing shades while I play a couple years ago and now I can't play without them..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Always. I got a pair of Callaway golf sunglasses this season and I love them. They are not as dark as my driving shades and a light yellowish tint that helps me see the ball.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I have very light sensitive eyes and have difficulty playing without them. I wear Arnette, great glasses at a great price. Lots of great deals on ebay as well. It took a bit of time to get used to but now I don't even notice them
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I don't really like playing with sunglasses on, even though I know I should for UV protection. Especially considering all my grandparents had to have cataract surgery. I'll play with them if the light is directly in my face, but otherwise no.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Wear sunglasses religiously, but not on the course.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    the only time i'll put sunglasses on is when i'm hitting a driver and the sun is in my face. I put on the polarized ray-bans and do my Neo impersonation.

so in your poll, you need option d) i put them on to hit a shot and take them off when i know where my ball landed.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

3 Wood kilntyme is on a distinguished road kilntyme's Avatar

Yes

I wear them all the time when its sunny.I have been wearing some Ray Bans but Im off to pick up some new Callaway glasses.Apparently they work awesome for seeing the ball.
    Mark K

Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar
    Polarized Oakleys.
    although not when hitting any shot or even reading shorter putts

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Voted sorta.

Lost a great pair after having taken them off and placing on my hat. It was a hot day and I took off my hat somewhere to wipe my forehead and by the time I reached for my glasses again they were gone - and never turned in.

The more expensive the pair the faster they go - which is why the ZZ Top - Cheap Sunglasses is a favourite song.

Scratch Player kilmidyke is on a distinguished road kilmidyke's Avatar
    Always play in sunglasses now. I have a few different pairs, Oakley, Sundog etc...but the best glasses for golf are the Callaway's. I have a pair of Cally branded ones and also 2 pair of the original Neox branded ones too. Neox is the lens technology that Callaway wanted. To use a famous phrase..."they loved it so much, they bought the company!"

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    The Callaways are a relatively good deal too. I got mine for $89 at the Manderley proshop. Oakleys/Ray-Bans will run you a lot more than that.Sund0gs are cheaper ($40-$60) but I've never had a pair of Sundogs as nice as these Callaways for seeing the ball. All my Sundogs (and a pair of expensive Bollo's I had) only lasted one season for me. We'll see how the Cally's do.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Scratch Player kilmidyke is on a distinguished road kilmidyke's Avatar
    I believe there are a nice pair of Callaways for sale on the forum...(disclaimer, it is not my for sale ad though)...and very nicely priced too.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    I wear my Oakleys for the entire round. I'm so light-sensitive that even when it's overcast and gloomy, I still need them. The lenses are the light brown-ish ones, so it's not like i'm playing in the dark or anything.

If you practice a little bit with your sunglasses on, you'll soon realize that hitting shots becomes no big deal with them on.

7 Wood retread is on a distinguished road retread's Avatar
    After using Oakley's for several years (and not quite finding a lense that I like), I have switched to Callaways this year (with a light yellow tint) and have been satisified.
    Determined to keep the rough trimmed. One swing at a time.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    I wear them on and off during a round if the sun is low or its really bright. I don't wear them when putting though (maybe I should!)

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    I recently got a sundogs for $30 at golftown but I got what I paid for.. can't use them for golf as I can not see my shots (even for driving on the highway)... only on very sunny days.. quite a difference with the Ray-Bans. Yet, Ray-Bans were like 6x or 7x times more expensive.... so get some decent ones.

8 Iron Boostguy is on a distinguished road
    I have two pairs that i bring to the course, The Oakleys i usually take off before shots because they move a bit and it bothers me and i also have these cheap 20$ jean-coutu half frame glasses that i use for golf only! they are weigh nothing and do not move around when i am swinging!

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    I just lost my beloved oakleys at the agriculture museum whilst looking after 3 kids....arghhhhh

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    If you want great performing, and great looking sunglasses at great prices, try Uvex, Tifosi, or Smith. There are also more models available now with photochromic lenses that change tint according to differing light conditions.

Make sure any sunglasses you get are certified UVA & UVB protective. Many cheap ones say they are, but they're not. All you're doing is compounding your chances of major eye damage. The darker lenses will only dilate your pupils, allowing a ton of radiation to reach your retinas.

And yes, I wear mine when I play.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    The best deal is the UVEX glasses at Costco, interchaneable lenses, daark for sunny, yellow for cloudy days, clear, easy to change out, comes with a protective case, around $50
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    Oakleys always - have a pair of half jackets right now in black with black lenses. Wear them every time I'm outside during the day, sunny or cloudy. UV is bad for your eyes too. If you wear sunscreen you should wear sunglasses with UV protection IMHO.
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    Another note for sunglasses - you get what you pay for - Sun dogs have cheap lenses which I find distort your view / depth perception. High end sunglasses (ray ban, Oakley, Callaway, etc) have put a lot of research into lens shapes, plastic compounds etc so they don't effect your view.

I have had my Oakley Half Jackets now for 3.5 years without any repairs or scratches to the lenses. $110 in the states from Sunglass hut. (were $175 in Canada at the time)
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 shaner85 is on a distinguished road shaner85's Avatar
    I voted sorta...sometimes I wear my oakley Half jackets all 18 holes, sometimes they bug me and I take them off here and there...or if I am really dealing it that day and they are on, I leave them on or vice versa...Black iridium lenses...and while driving my SS of course...

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I have a pair for Oakleys that I have had for at least 10 years now and I have never found a better pair of lenses. I usually just wear my glasses between shots and sometimes they just end up sitting on my hat / visor.

Birdie Husband is on a distinguished road
    I find I play better with my Ray bans on.

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I wear glasses with clip-on shades, as it is almost impossible for my to see my ball on a sunny day without sunglasses. Thinking about getting "transitions" lenses for my next pair - anybody have any experience playing golf with them?

2 Iron Gulfer is on a distinguished road Gulfer's Avatar
    I have Oakley Half Jackets and have had them for over 6 years. I never lose them because the arms hold tightly to your hat or head if that's wear you put them for a while. I figure I wear these glasses about 220 days a year between golf, skiing, inline skating and the beach.

For golf on "low light" days - e.g. slightly overcast but some sun - I use the Oakley G30 non-polarized lens - it's designed specifically for golf. You can also get the VR28 - virtually the same lens but a bit darker (lets less light in than the G30).

For bright sunny days anywhere, including golfing, I use the standard grey polarized lens.

I also have gold polarized for cross-country skiing on bright days when you're getting sun from above and off the snow.

You can find these Oakleys and / or replacement lenses on ebay - I like the Half Jackets but the Flak Jackets are nice too. On ebay, as long as you buy from a seller with 99% positive reputation (there are lots) you will be totally fine.

A lot wearing glasses when you play golf is leaving them on or off - you just have to let your eyes adjust and go with it. Often though I will take them off when putting/reading a putt. No reason, as I can see fine with them on, but just a habit.

Rob
    Give me golf clubs, fresh air and a beautiful woman - and you can keep the golf clubs and fresh air. - Jack Benny

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    I've got Oakley Flack Jackets - wear them all the time. They don't move on my face and I can swap out the lenses depending on conditions - birght sun to overcast. I always play with polarized lenses.

Thread Information