100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shaft profiling

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Shaft profiling

For the perfectionnist clubmakers. The NF4.
    http://www.tutelman.com/golfclubs/nf4/profiling.php

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    For the perfectionnist clubmakers. The NF4.
    http://www.tutelman.com/golfclubs/nf4/profiling.php
    A very interesting article and it's apparent that shaft profiling is the next step in shaft matching, certainly better than frequency matching which is infinitely better than trimming by using the tipping instructions.

However, once clubmakers or shaft manufacturers have profiles of all the shafts, communicating the implications of the varying profiles to the golfer is vital.

Example: (1) What kind of flight pattern does one get from a tip/butt stiff, but flexible mid/section shaft? (2) Same question, but where the numbers for each section of shaft are higher or lower than the one used for the first question.

Are you going to build an NF4 when Dan makes the plans available?

Could be an winter project.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST

Are you going to build an NF4 when Dan makes the plans available?

Could be an winter project.
    What do you think?

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar

Nf2?

Andre / BC,

I think I read in a previous posting here that you have both built and use the NF2 spinefinder. Just out of curiosity, how much did it cost for the parts and how long did it take to construct?

I'm beginning to think that with winter approaching fast, I'm going to need a project... perhaps building one of these and 'spining' all of my clubs will be it!

BTW: Any opinions on how much better one of these things is compared to the spinefinders you see on Ebay?

Thanks.
    MJF

You should wait til the NF4 comes around.The plans are scheduled to come out in about 4-6 weeks if everything goes well. The cost of parts for the NF2 was approx $120. Canadian. It was a much better spinefinder than seen on ebay cause not only could you find the spine(well residual bend but that is a long story) you could also measure deflection(much like a deflection board) at different locations across the shaft and put up a set a lot faster than using a Frequency meter. Anyway maybe more later. If you live in the west end I am sure BC would gladly show it to you.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf
    Andre / BC,I think I read in a previous posting here that you have both built and use the NF2 spinefinder. Just out of curiosity, how much did it cost for the parts and how long did it take to construct?
    I'm beginning to think that with winter approaching fast, I'm going to need a project... perhaps building one of these and 'spining' all of my clubs will be it!
    BTW: Any opinions on how much better one of these things is compared to the spinefinders you see on Ebay?
    Thanks. MJF
    The NF2 and the NF1 finds the spine(residual bend) instantly. If there is any significant amout of this, the shaft literally snaps into the NBP up position. The amount of spine(RB) is also measured via a dial indicator

There is nothing that I have seen that will find the NBP as quickly, but most importantly, as accurately as the NF2. I can use my frequency analyser to find the NBP, but it takes a lot longer.

The NF1 and NF2 were not difficult to make, however, access to a table saw and a drill press was essential. The NF4 will not be as easy to make, however, if I can do the other two, so can you. What else are you going to do in the winter anyway?

If you want to have a look at my NF2 sometime, send me a PM, after the 24th of September.

Thread Information