CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    OK, I was bored and Excel is my friend.

Here's the ranking, based on Fedex Cup points per round played, for the US players not automatically qualified for the Ryder cup team. This should be a first order indicator for who has played better, on average, this year.

1. Anthony Kim
    2. Ben Crane
    3. Zach Johnson
    4. Bo Van Pelt
    5. JB Holmes
    6. Corey Pavin (?!?!?)
    7. Rickie Fowler
    8. Bill Haas
    9. Nick Watney
    10. Ryan Palmer
    11. Jason Bohn
    12. Tiger Woods
    13. Ryan Moore
    14. Sean O'Hair
    15. Scott Verplank
    16. Vaughn Taylor
    17. Ricky Barnes

So, based on the "who's played better this year" criteria, Pavin is a better pick than Tiger!

Discuss........
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

3 Wood ex-mailman is on a distinguished road
    Steve Stricker has stated that he would love to pair with Tiger at the Ryder Cup. they sure waxed the World team in the Presidents Cup. Also if you take away just 5 holes in 4 rounds at the PGA Tiger would have been in the Playoff. I would say in match play with Stricker they would do just fine, THANK YOU!
    Last edited by ex-mailman; 08-16-2010 at 11:14 PM.

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    LOL.. Ryder Cup captain picks himself! I would love it!

Maybe Rickie Fowler? Take a page from Norman's book at the President's Cup and pick a young gun.

I'd still take Tiger though.

Gap Wedge pmar88 is on a distinguished road pmar88's Avatar
    Tiger will be on the team. The only way he won't play is if he tells Corey that he doesn't want to play.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I think Ben Crane and Zach Johnson will be there. Not sure if Tiger will be there. I don't think he deserves to be there, but it's tough to not pick the #1 player in the world when you know he could get his form back at any time (although it would probably come quicker if he bit the bullet and eargerly sought out a new coach).

Would be nice to see Fowler there, even if just for the experience.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    Would like to see Fowler myself! Ben Crane would be the last person on earth I would pick...this is a team sport and Ben Crane is the slowest most annoying player on tour, not sure who would want to paired with him.
    "If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first." Kirk Cobain

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    Duval! Duval!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Its one thing for Tiger to play poorly in a tournament since he is the only one it affects. When his play sucks and it affects the Ryder Cup team the answer is no. So what about Sergio? He was always a great RC team player but this year sucks and no one is expecting Monte to put him on the team. Tiger can bounce back but it is clear that he is not on his game. Take someone that is playing hot right now. In sports it always seems like the hot teams going into finals are the ones that succeed, I think the same applies to hot golfers. There are many better choices than Tiger right now. If Tiger can turn things around in the FedEx cCup race then certainly he would be a good pick but I just do not see it.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    I think Tiger will do the right thing and decline the captain pick.
    It saves CP's face and spares the other the media circus if he's there.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I thnk not, he already said he would accept if picked during his press conference last week. he thinks his game is coming aorund as well so even more reason to accept. Had he really choked again he might reconsider but you can be sure that a man with this large ego will not decline an invitation for the sake of sparing others, he has already shown his moral fiber
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    I dont think you can compare Sergio to Tiger right now, Tiger has at least played well in the majors, just not up to his usual standards. Sergio is just a mess right now and has said him self that he needs to be away from the game. Tiger might not be playing his best but he is still #12 on the list and really should not be an issue if he is picked.

I agree, I was just making a point that current play is very important more than past performance. Tiger may be #12 but there are a few guys playing better and that have been playing well all year that should be considered first.
    Lefty Lucas

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    If Tiger had played a normal schedule, I think he would have qualified. I personally wouldn't pick him, the chemistry at the team events would be a disaster. Think the wives want him anywhere near them???
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

5 Wood Shushu is on a distinguished road Shushu's Avatar
    Personal opinion here...as being Canadian and have no allegiance to either squad.....I think Europe kills the US this year. I beleive they are overwhelmingly playing much better than the US players. And it being over in Wales this year.....forget it. So I guess maybe it doesn't matter who the US has on the team.

Does it have to be men on the team? I think it should be coed. Maybe Paula Creamer, Natalie Gulbis, and Morgan Pressel compete. Maybe even the winner of the Big Break Sandals....would love to see Carling there.......

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I don't think Tiger should be picked right now simply because he's not playing well. I don't care if he's number one, if he took time off and still wasn't playing would it make sense to still pick him if he was still number one while not playing?

Give me Ben Crane, Zach Johnson, Rickie Fowler, and Nick Watney. A young gun team that's going to be fired up to play over there. I don't think AK should be there, he hasn't looked good since he's been back. It's about putting the best team out there, there are players on that list that played well at the beginning of the year but have cooled off.

1 Iron B Nation is on a distinguished road
    CP doesn't need to decide until after the first FedEX event. He can see how Tiger's game looks at that point and go from there.

If Tiger finishes top 10 there it would be near impossible to leave him off the squad, and make for an easy decision for Corey. If he misses the cut, it will be a very difficult decision and CP will get criticized no matter which way he goes.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I think Tiger is too wild right now to play partner golf. It's one thing for him to make insane up and downs, it's another to put a partner in the junk and expect him to have the same short game. I just don't think his game is suited for that right now.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Being ignored for the RC might be what he needs to get is game back on track.

That being said, if he is picked, I wonder who will he bring as date for the week?

He will be picked:

Lucas Glover
    Tiger Woods
    Stewart Cink
    Nick Watney
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Tiger will be picked... provided he doesn't claim he has an injury or otherwise state he doesn't want to play.

The reason he'll be picked is simple. The Ryder Cup is a business and a big money maker for the PGA. If Tiger's not there, the ratings drop big time and the PGA won't make nearly as much money.

6 Iron cobra is on a distinguished road cobra's Avatar
    It's a pretty tough spot for Corey Pavin to be in. If he picks Tiger and he doesn't do well, he'll get criticized. If he doesn't pick Tiger and the team doesn't do well, he'll get criticized. Myself, I'd pick him and see what happens.

Its all posturing IMHO, he will pick Tiger, the ratings and the PGA will put enough pressure for him to take him even if he wants to take someone else. Ratings rule
    Lefty Lucas

Hybrid TLB is on a distinguished road
    He's played 25 Ryder Cup matches in his career and has taken 11 points. While he's won 10 matches, his 13 defeats are the second most by an American behind Raymond Floyd's 16 (in 31 matches). And this dismal record was over five appearances since 1997 - when he was hot !

I agree with others though ... C.P. is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. History will rule on the final results.

Caddy Thunder is on a distinguished road
    I am sure he will be picked.....as long as Celtic Manor is not TIGHT TIGHT!!!. Has anyone seen the course? If it is driver friendly, he is a shoe in!!!
    THUNDER

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I am sure he will be picked.....as long as Celtic Manor is not TIGHT TIGHT!!!. Has anyone seen the course? If it is driver friendly, he is a shoe in!!!
    I'm surenthat I read somewhere that The Marshes was modeled after Celtic Manor - Terry Mathews owns both courses

Thread Information