100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Team Canada

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    You have seen Mario’s biography. Wow that impresses me. It must have been when Mario was helping Jagr’s carrer.
    Or vice-versa... I'm not going to step into another of these debates because people generally have their minds made up about their favourite players...

Regardless of how I feel about Mario, I'm about 50% back to supporting Team Canada. Mario, Maltby, Draper, Hannan, Foote, and a few others are the only thing holding me back. Canada has a nicer level of skilled players this time around, with fewer "bangers". I just maintain my individuality and cultural heritage by cheering for the Czechs.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Quote Originally Posted by g8r
    5-0 has less to do with the goalie, and more to do with the other players. Just about any goalie in the tournament could have won with last night. Not saying Brodeur didn't play great, or isn't the best goalie in the tourney, just stating the fact that 5 goals doesnt hurt. Lemieux looked OK last night, but I agree, he's taking a spot from other great young guys that can play as well as he can these days. 10 years ago, Mario was at the top, today, he's no superstar compared to St. Louis, Richards, Iginla, etc.
    I wasn't saying that Brodeur was the best player on the ice, or that he won the game for Canada. All I said was that he made it look easy, when in fact the Slovaks had a few VERY good chances to score and he turned them aside without much more than an afterthought to how easy it was.

Me rooting for the Czechs should not be confused with me undervaluing the depth of team Canada. I would just prefer the Czechs winning to underline my point that open hockey systems that rely completely on individual talent and team speed is better than anything that a team with a "checking line" or "grind line" can put on the ice.

I am for making hockey entertaining, not violent and mathematical.

Dan

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    After two periods Canada is leading 2-1 but this game is scary. I am a Canadian fan all the way but those Czechs are very talented. This game can go both ways. In my opinion this is the cup game. The best two teams in the tournament are playing tonight.

By the way, nice goal by the moron!!!
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Playing Winter Rules Farzin is on a distinguished road
    Cheques are all checked out.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    WE WIN BABY! Canada makes it to the Finals!!! BTW, when are the finals?
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EDSGOLF
    WE WIN BABY! Canada makes it to the Finals!!! BTW, when are the finals?
    Tuesday
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    Tuesday
    It looks like it’s a one game takes all for the finals. I am very surprised cause the previous World Cup finals were best 2 out of 3.

All I asked for was a good game, and I got that. Too bad the moron had to score, but it was funny at the bar we were at. Almost everyone booed his goal, with me the only guy wearing a CZR jersey. Classic. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks this guy is like old, rotten meat in the sun.

C'est la vie...

Dan

Pitching Wedge Rye is on a distinguished road Rye's Avatar
    /rant on (apologies in advance)

I've gotta say, I've tried to avoid posting but I'm appalled by your comments towards Mario, broken27. I know that 20,000+ people in the Bell Centre loved him, which was quite apprent from the "Mario! Mario!" chants.

He's been through a lot in his life, and overcome many hardships to allow him to continue to play hockey. His performance in the World Cup, while not the best at times, has nonethless inspired his teammates. Their comments off the ice are clear indications of that. He has also played hard, gritty hockey - something he hasn't got much credit for in the past since he's always been a prolific scorer. (e.g. He was the first guy to go right after the USA players and drop the gloves when they were taking liberites with Brodeur)

I was very pleased to see him score. His play has been great the past 2 games, and if Iginla could bury a few more goals Mario would have 10 assists.

So... while I'm trying to be avoid being offensive... Please take the plane back with your losing Czeck team, and leave our Canadian hero of a captain alone. Maybe you can console Jagr on the way... oh, wait... in the post game interview it was clear that he could care less that they lost. If nothing else, I can guarantee you that had the Canadians lost, they would have all been gravely upset, Mario leading that list. That tells me a lot about how they care about the game and their country.

/rant off

Quote Originally Posted by Rye
    /rant on (apologies in advance)

I've gotta say, I've tried to avoid posting but I'm appalled by your comments towards Mario, broken27. I know that 20,000+ people in the Bell Centre loved him, which was quite apprent from the "Mario! Mario!" chants.
    So, you and 20,000 other geniuses went to watch this game in Montreal when it was being played in Toronto? Just in case they were showing it on the Jumbotron, it still takes a special kind of person to chant at a TV screen...

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    So, you and 20,000 other geniuses went to watch this game in Montreal when it was being played in Toronto? Just in case they were showing it on the Jumbotron, it still takes a special kind of person to chant at a TV screen...

Dan

... No... I'm talking about the games that were played in Montreal. :shake

Well, the people of Montreal loving Mario is no big surprise. Ask the people of Pittsburgh how they feel about their supposed "owner" or "captain". I'm sure they'd trade him in for a bag of pucks with all the good he's done them by missing almost all the games "his" team plays each year.

At any rate, enjoy Mario tomorrow. With any luck, that'll be his swan song.

Dan

Haha.... Are you kidding me? Please go ahead and take a poll in Pittsburgh. I'd love to see the results. Pittsburgh would not even have a team if it wasn't for him.

Tonight is the BIG night, can't wait!!! Prediction: 3-2 for Canada in double overtime and MARIO scores the winning goal
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Go Go
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Haha.... Are you kidding me? Please go ahead and take a poll in Pittsburgh. I'd love to see the results. Pittsburgh would not even have a team if it wasn't for him.
    Pittsburgh basically doesn't have a team because of him... As for conducting a poll, I can actually do that since the media outlet I work for has a radio show in Pittsburgh.

Quite honestly, and without using extremes, I will admit Mario was one of the greats. But, he is far past his prime, which is shown by the fact that he can't play for his NHL team without getting injured. There is also the issue of conflict of interest, as Mario is both an owner and part of the NHLPA. There used to be a 5% ownership rule imposed on players, to avoid precisely this kind of situation. But they bent the rules for Mario, and now we'll see how ready he is to lock himself out. Should hear about it around noon tomorrow.

To your earlier comment about me taking a plane to the Czech Republic: I'm more than happy to go there as soon as my kids are old enough to relocate. Already have my citizenship papers sorted out, so I'll oblige you in about two years or so. Better beer there anyway.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by EDSGOLF
    Tonight is the BIG night, can't wait!!! Prediction: 3-2 for Canada in double overtime and MARIO scores the winning goal
    5-2 Canada, no drama.

Dan

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Better beer there anyway.

Sorry, been there, done that, can't agree. Any place that is the home to Budwieser shouldn't brag about its beer! As for relocating, you may want to wait a few more years until the Euro replaces those Krown things, the internal borders with the EU come down and some more reconstruction/restoration occurs - the areas outside the tourist spots in Praha are still Communist-era bland. Of course by then it will be to expensive to live there since the average salary is something like $15k/yr.

Pittsburgh basically doesn't have a team because of him... As for conducting a poll, I can actually do that since the media outlet I work for has a radio show in Pittsburgh.

Quite honestly, and without using extremes, I will admit Mario was one of the greats. But, he is far past his prime, which is shown by the fact that he can't play for his NHL team without getting injured. There is also the issue of conflict of interest, as Mario is both an owner and part of the NHLPA. There used to be a 5% ownership rule imposed on players, to avoid precisely this kind of situation. But they bent the rules for Mario, and now we'll see how ready he is to lock himself out. Should hear about it around noon tomorrow.

To your earlier comment about me taking a plane to the Czech Republic: I'm more than happy to go there as soon as my kids are old enough to relocate. Already have my citizenship papers sorted out, so I'll oblige you in about two years or so. Better beer there anyway.

Dan
    I agree that Mario is not in his prime but he still is one of the best in the NHL. In the 2002-2003 season he made 91 points in 67 games. Not bad for a back from retirement over the hill “moron”. And I would like to add that that was without Jagr in the line-up.

Since you are talking about injuries, are you saying that a player is not good cause he is injured a lot? Tell you one thing, I would take PETER FORSBERG, Steve Izerman, Matio Lemieux, Hasek… All injury prone active players that I would love to see on my roster.

Predictions for tonight 4-1 Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty

Sorry, been there, done that, can't agree. Any place that is the home to Budwieser shouldn't brag about its beer! As for relocating, you may want to wait a few more years until the Euro replaces those Krown things, the internal borders with the EU come down and some more reconstruction/restoration occurs - the areas outside the tourist spots in Praha are still Communist-era bland. Of course by then it will be to expensive to live there since the average salary is something like $15k/yr.
    Budvar (which is nothing like Budweiser here), is not among my favourite beers from CZR. I'd list Staropramen, Kozel and Gambrinus well ahead of that one. Would still drink Budvar over almost any of the watery tasting beers we have over here though... That's not to say I don't enjoy Canadian beers, but not nearly as much as most European ones.

As for places being Communist-era bland... I'm not a tourist, and quite frankly our flat is in a very nice sector of the old city. I am not there for tourism purposes, but more to be with my family (at least those who did not emigrate in 1968).

The Euro replacing the "Krown things" is not a good thing for the people of CZR. It will make their economy more mainstream European and make for a harder life. Sadly, this is a necessary evil that I have also wrestled with in terms of my long-term planning.

All of this notwithstanding, I will be cheering for Canada (at least 3 of 4 lines anyway) tonight, as there is nothing more dull than Finnish hockey.

Enjoy the game.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    I agree that Mario is not in his prime but he still is one of the best in the NHL. In the 2002-2003 season he made 91 points in 67 games. Not bad for a back from retirement over the hill “moron”. And I would like to add that that was without Jagr in the line-up.

Since you are talking about injuries, are you saying that a player is not good cause he is injured a lot? Tell you one thing, I would take PETER FORSBERG, Steve Izerman, Matio Lemieux, Hasek… All injury prone active players that I would love to see on my roster.
    Mario can't be one of the best in the NHL if he doesn't play in the NHL, which he likely never will again considering the lockout. You can't prove anything citing stats from two seasons ago, because my point was that he is doing a dis-service to his team by not retiring.

Injury-prone players are generally a wild card that money-strapped teams can ill afford. You can't have a guy tying up $5-million in salary (Mario), when that represents roughly 20% of your total salary budget. This is the reason that PIT had to trade Kovalev, Jagr, Straka, Lang and others for next to nothing (long-term prospects like Kris Beech are not a fair return on a perennial Art Ross contender like Jagr in my books.)

I'm going to drop this for now, since I have the exact same discussion going on in my hockey forum, which is better suited for such discussions.

Cheers,
    Dan

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! :groupwave :flipswitc :groupflip :xxrotflma

CANADA WINS!!!!!!!!

"we Are The Champions"
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Awesome.

I was almost scared Ryan Smyth was actually gonna make it through an International tournament without messing up his face.... but sure enough...

And Mario sure didn't play too bad, eh? 'nuff said.

Awesome.

I was almost scared Ryan Smyth was actually gonna make it through an International tournament without messing up his face.... but sure enough...

And Mario sure didn't play too bad, eh? 'nuff said.
    Was a good game, and Mario played almost as well as Bob Cole and Harry Neale made him sound (those two are just out of control). Best player on the ice, and a real eye-opener: Tuomo Ruutu. Don't get to see him much since he plays for Chicago and is very young, but man that kid can play.

Anyways, congrats on your team winning.

Dan

Was a good game, and Mario played almost as well as Bob Cole and Harry Neale made him sound (those two are just out of control).
    I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I actually agree with you on that one - i.e. Cole and Neale go a little overboard when describing Mario's play out there. But, even without their exaggarations - his dance around the blueline and perfect feed to Sakic, his batting the puck out of the air for almost the 2nd goal of the game, his backchecking all night, his leadership, ... all of those things made him a very deserving winning captain.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I actually agree with you on that one - i.e. Cole and Neale go a little overboard when describing Mario's play out there. But, even without their exaggarations - his dance around the blueline and perfect feed to Sakic, his batting the puck out of the air for almost the 2nd goal of the game, his backchecking all night, his leadership, ... all of those things made him a very deserving winning captain.
    I raise my glass to that!!

He was not as finesse as in the past but he was a great leader on the ice. He set up Iginla and Sakic more then once and to see Mario back check and throw body checks was priceless. I am sure Gretzky knew what he is doing when picking this team out as he did in the Olympics.

Thread Information