CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Team Canada

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road

Team Canada

Good game for Canada tonight! I really like how the Canadian players do not have their individual names on the back of their jerseys, looks more like a cohesive team that way!
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Good point! But mannnnnnnnnn are those jerseys UGLY
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    I kind of liked the "vintage jerseys" in tribute to the 1920 Winnipeg Falcons - Canada's first gold medal winning team in Olympic hockey history. I guess you'll be able to purchase them in stores across the country, they're produced by Bauer Nike Hockey.
    To bad to see Jovo go out w/ a knee injury. Bring on the Slovaks.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EDSGOLF
    Good game for Canada tonight! I really like how the Canadian players do not have their individual names on the back of their jerseys, looks more like a cohesive team that way!
    You do of course realize that the lack of names on the jerseys was only because they were wearing those hideous yellow things. Tonight against Slovakia they will be in their traditional, "names-on" jerseys.

I realize that last night's jerseys were from the 1920s, but even then, was yellow ever one of Canada's national colours? Those things were UGLEH!!!

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

3 Wood Evil Chris is on a distinguished road Evil Chris's Avatar
    no matter what they're wearing.... I hope they take it all.

But the Swedes are looking VERY strong...
    [url=http://www.zeemine.com/]Zeemine[/url]

Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road

But...

The Swedes also played the "filler" team, aka Germany; so it was the easiest game they'll have during the tournament. Sweden will very likely win that pool but they'll have a harder time in the semi-finals.
    nice_lag
    Almonte

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    You do of course realize that the lack of names on the jerseys was only because they were wearing those hideous yellow things. Tonight against Slovakia they will be in their traditional, "names-on" jerseys.

I realize that last night's jerseys were from the 1920s, but even then, was yellow ever one of Canada's national colours? Those things were UGLEH!!!

Dan
    That’s exactly what I said to my wife last night. What an ugly jersey. Were they all colour blind in 1920?

Hope to see them win tonight.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Big_duck
    Quote Originally Posted by nice_lag
    The Swedes also played the "filler" team, aka Germany; so it was the easiest game they'll have during the tournament. Sweden will very likely win that pool but they'll have a harder time in the semi-finals.

I thought Russia was the filler team this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_duck
    I thought Russia was the filler team this year.
    Russia did not look like the filler team last night.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Keep an eye out for the Finns. Their game against Sweden tomorrow afternoon should be a good one.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road

Dan
    While I would like to think the sweaters (that's what they were called back then - jersey is an Americanism that has crept into the vernacular) had "CANADA" instead of names because, as Gretzky has said, "you play for the crest on the front, not the name on the back", I think the real reason is likely that back in the 20s, nobody wore their name on their sweater. Even in the NHL, names on sweaters only became commonplace in the late 70s. Earlier in US cities - I can recall watching MTL-BOS games on US feeds in the mid 70s and names were on sweaters but at the same time were not on sweaters when the same teams played in Canada. As I recall Sam Pollock thought having the names on sweaters would hurt program sales (back then you bought the game program since you weren't paying $100 a ticket!).

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    All I can say is that we should just enjoy hockey while it lasts cuz there ain't gonna be a season this year. :cryin

Even if there was a deal between the players and the league some of the best players have committed themselves to other clubs/leagues.

Personally, I don't care for "names on jerseys"...... must be an American thing (like the blue puck). At least we don't have to watch the Olympics and we get hockey instead.

As for my take on the World Cup?

I hope that "Super Slack Mario" gets hammered by someone and knocks some sense into him. He DOES NOT belong on Team Canada. He hasn't proven himself in what? 5 years or so?

Why do they play in Toronto? There is no love for International hockey there! All they care about is the Leafs. The Sweden game must be sold out. Boos for Alfie of course. Great crowd there!!!

All in all, at least we have hockey, for now. But it's gonna be a while before we see Hasek in a Sens uniform........

Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty
    While I would like to think the sweaters (that's what they were called back then - jersey is an Americanism that has crept into the vernacular) had "CANADA" instead of names because, as Gretzky has said, "you play for the crest on the front, not the name on the back", I think the real reason is likely that back in the 20s, nobody wore their name on their sweater. Even in the NHL, names on sweaters only became commonplace in the late 70s. Earlier in US cities - I can recall watching MTL-BOS games on US feeds in the mid 70s and names were on sweaters but at the same time were not on sweaters when the same teams played in Canada. As I recall Sam Pollock thought having the names on sweaters would hurt program sales (back then you bought the game program since you weren't paying $100 a ticket!).
    Yeah, I guess I forgot to mention the whole "retro" thing. I realize that having names is a somewhat recent thing. I personally don't care if they're there or not, as I recognize most players by number, but I suppose I can see the logic in the whole "program sales" department.

Cool history lesson!

Dan

Czechs eliminate the Swedes... wow I didn't see that coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Chris
    Czechs eliminate the Swedes... wow I didn't see that coming.
    Now lets hope Canada does not KO’ed by the Slovaks!

5 - 0... that wasn't hard.

Slovaks couldn't get any offence going the entire game.

Bring on the Czechs!

Deceiving result against the Slovaks. Obviously the Canadian media is making last night's game out to be better than it was, which is normal, but Martin Brodeur made it look easier than it really was. The poor Slovaks have no goaltending, and lost their entire top line to injuries (Palffy, Handzus, Bondra).

Looking forward to seeing how the Czechs perform against Canada. So far they have looked inconsistent but very dangerous. Totally destroying the Swedes was something that even I didn't expect (which is strange, because I normally always assume the Czechs will pummel their opponents).

Bring on the Canadians!!!

Dan

Dan,

So the Czech hammered the Swedes but Canada was lucky that Brodeur was there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    Dan,

So the Czech hammered the Swedes but Canada was lucky that Brodeur was there!!!

Did you watch the game last night? I'm not saying Canada was lucky Brodeur was there, but he was the biggest difference in the game. Brodeur is likely the best goalie in the game right now, and when you compare that to Lasak or Stana, it's no real shock that Canada was able to win 5-0.

In fact, I'd say that Brodeur is the only top-echelon goalie in this whole tournament, which is Canada's biggest advantage. I find it funny that the media has spent so much time on that loser Mario Lemieux (who has looked old and out of place on his team and should either retire or be euthanized), when the best player on the team is Brodeur by a long-shot.

Dan

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    5-0 has less to do with the goalie, and more to do with the other players. Just about any goalie in the tournament could have won with last night. Not saying Brodeur didn't play great, or isn't the best goalie in the tourney, just stating the fact that 5 goals doesnt hurt. Lemieux looked OK last night, but I agree, he's taking a spot from other great young guys that can play as well as he can these days. 10 years ago, Mario was at the top, today, he's no superstar compared to St. Louis, Richards, Iginla, etc.

Did you watch the game last night? I'm not saying Canada was lucky Brodeur was there, but he was the biggest difference in the game. Brodeur is likely the best goalie in the game right now, and when you compare that to Lasak or Stana, it's no real shock that Canada was able to win 5-0.

In fact, I'd say that Brodeur is the only top-echelon goalie in this whole tournament, which is Canada's biggest advantage. I find it funny that the media has spent so much time on that loser Mario Lemieux (who has looked old and out of place on his team and should either retire or be euthanized), when the best player on the team is Brodeur by a long-shot.

Dan
    I disagree. Granted the Slovaks played a tight first period but Canada completely dominated the second period. The third period was more like a defensive period. Canada just shut the game down. Brodeur did make some key saves but he was not the difference in winning or loosing this game. The difference in this game was the Sakic, Iginla and Lemieux line.

There are so many talented players on this team that it’s very difficult point out the best. Brodeur is one of them.

Your Lemieux comments are completely ridicules to me and the 90% + of the attendees in TO last night. They were all chanting for Lemieux.

As for Brodeur being the only top seed goltender in this tournament, how about Kipussof. Hasn’t he proven something last year? In addition, Hesch is not that bad.

Deceiving result against the Slovaks. Obviously the Canadian media is making last night's game out to be better than it was, which is normal, but Martin Brodeur made it look easier than it really was. The poor Slovaks have no goaltending, and lost their entire top line to injuries (Palffy, Handzus, Bondra).

Looking forward to seeing how the Czechs perform against Canada. So far they have looked inconsistent but very dangerous. Totally destroying the Swedes was something that even I didn't expect (which is strange, because I normally always assume the Czechs will pummel their opponents).

Bring on the Canadians!!!

Dan
    Last night's game was a boring first period followed by an increased tempo second which resulted in a weak goal, some good goals, and game over:grocketho . The third period was Canada not running up the score and trying to run the clock down without losing anymore players due to injury.

I agree Brodeur is playing well and is the best goaltender in the tournament. In fact there could be a case made that either of the Canadian backups could start for just about any of the other teams.

The Slovak goaltending was weak on a couple of goals but they certainly didn't get much help from the rest of the team and were hung out to dry most of the second period.

The Slovaks, like just about every team in the tournament lack significant depth - once you get by the first dozen or so players, the talent level drops off. Not a surprise in the Slovak case since there are only 5 million folks in the country and the same goes for the Czechs with only 10 million. Canada lost a number of players (Pronger, Yzerman, Bertuzzi, Belfour, etc) before the tournament started for a variety of reasons and 2 of the starting 6 defencemen but significant depth has made the loss of those players barely noticeable.

Why were you so surprised at the Czech win over the Swedes? The Swedes have a couple of junior B calibre goaltenders so any team with skill will fill the net - which is exactly what happened. The big surprise to me was that the Swedes didn't show much spirit and the Czechs actually showed up and wanted to play which they clearly did not do in the early tournament games - Jagr saying something like he'd rather be on vacation I think. The main danger to Canada in the semi-final game will be if Jagr suddenly gets over his year long sulking over his split with his girlfriend -then there might be something to worry about.

I find it funny that the media has spent so much time on that loser Mario Lemieux (who has looked old and out of place on his team and should either retire or be euthanized), when the best player on the team is Brodeur by a long-shot.

Dan
    I agree that Brodeur is the best player on the Canadian team - you don't win in hockey without outstanding goaltending. But to call Lemieux a "loser" is over the line considering all he has accomplished in hockey and overcome in his personal life. I've never been a great Lemieux booster over the years but I would not call him a loser - he has accomplished far to much. I agree he has not performed at a high level in this tournament although he is showing signs of improvement recently. I suspect this is his swan song and retirement is very near. He is, however, trying which is far more than can be said of how Brett Hull appeared in his first 2 games.

Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty
    I agree that Brodeur is the best player on the Canadian team - you don't win in hockey without outstanding goaltending. But to call Lemieux a "loser" is over the line considering all he has accomplished in hockey and overcome in his personal life. I've never been a great Lemieux booster over the years but I would not call him a loser - he has accomplished far to much. I agree he has not performed at a high level in this tournament although he is showing signs of improvement recently. I suspect this is his swan song and retirement is very near. He is, however, trying which is far more than can be said of how Brett Hull appeared in his first 2 games.
    My bad, substitute "moron" for loser... Happy?

Dan

My bad, substitute "moron" for loser... Happy?

Dan
    Why is he a moron or a looser?

Your Lemieux comments are completely ridicules to me and the 90% + of the attendees in TO last night. They were all chanting for Lemieux.

As for Brodeur being the only top seed goltender in this tournament, how about Kipussof. Hasn’t he proven something last year? In addition, Hesch is not that bad.
    First of all, if my comments seem ridiculous to a crowd at the ACC, then chances are I'm right. When was the last time anyone at the ACC had a clue about anything related to hockey?

Secondly, Kiprusoff has only proven that he can have one good season, or at least half of one. Remember that he was a third-string goalie in San Jose at the start of the season, and ended up playing only 38 games over the regular season with the Flamers. I won't take anything away from his performance, but I'd say that you have to string together two such seasons or more before being labelled an "elite" goaltender.

Hey, bottom line is that we can cheer for whoever we like, for whatever reasons we want. Personally, I'm hoping for the Czechs to win the tournament, but I realize that I'll be a tiny minority in most circles. I just prefer the style of hockey...

No matter who wins, I hope it is a good game...

Dan

Why is he a moron or a looser?
    Read his biography, you'll find plenty of supporting evidence. One example was a situation at least 10 years ago, when Mario was supposed to go see some sick kids for a meet and greet. Without calling to postpone or cancel, he just skipped it and went off to do some photo shoot for a commercial.

Dan

Secondly, Kiprusoff has only proven that he can have one good season, or at least half of one. Remember that he was a third-string goalie in San Jose at the start of the season, and ended up playing only 38 games over the regular season with the Flamers. I won't take anything away from his performance, but I'd say that you have to string together two such seasons or more before being labelled an "elite" goaltender.
    I am not saying that Kiprussof and Brodeur are equals but he is one of the top goalies in the league. He played awesome from day one for the flames. I remember the first game he played last year. It was against Montreal. He was absolutely unbelievable. The Flames won because of him. I can recall that the Flames were deep in the basement at that moment. You now the rest of the story.

Personally, I'm hoping for the Czechs to win the tournament, but I realize that I'll be a tiny minority in most circles. I just prefer the style of hockey...
    Dan
    I figured that one out and it's OK cause it setup for good discussions.

Read his biography, you'll find plenty of supporting evidence. One example was a situation at least 10 years ago, when Mario was supposed to go see some sick kids for a meet and greet. Without calling to postpone or cancel, he just skipped it and went off to do some photo shoot for a commercial.

Dan
    You have seen Mario’s biography. Wow that impresses me. It must have been when Mario was helping Jagr’s carrer.

Thread Information