Quote Originally Posted by broken27
You do of course realize that the lack of names on the jerseys was only because they were wearing those hideous yellow things. Tonight against Slovakia they will be in their traditional, "names-on" jerseys.

I realize that last night's jerseys were from the 1920s, but even then, was yellow ever one of Canada's national colours? Those things were UGLEH!!!

Dan
While I would like to think the sweaters (that's what they were called back then - jersey is an Americanism that has crept into the vernacular) had "CANADA" instead of names because, as Gretzky has said, "you play for the crest on the front, not the name on the back", I think the real reason is likely that back in the 20s, nobody wore their name on their sweater. Even in the NHL, names on sweaters only became commonplace in the late 70s. Earlier in US cities - I can recall watching MTL-BOS games on US feeds in the mid 70s and names were on sweaters but at the same time were not on sweaters when the same teams played in Canada. As I recall Sam Pollock thought having the names on sweaters would hurt program sales (back then you bought the game program since you weren't paying $100 a ticket!).