100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    AEberhard

Shanking the Ball

There is nothing more embarrassing then shanking the ball off the tee. Lately though this has become a natural occurrence with me! Mostly with my driver, why can't I just hit the ball? I was a 90's golfer, but now with this I have been in the 100's. Is it time for another lesson?

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    I had the shanks for a short period this year, not at the course but a few times in a row at the range. I'd setup, but wouldn't trust it and would 'reach' to hit the ball. I quickly ended up fixing that by concentrating on making sure I was turning my hips and my arms were swinging kind of along my body instead of outwards to hit the ball.
    But yea, a lesson will do wonders for you, or even just taping yourself you'll probably find your problem instantly.

6 Iron cobra is on a distinguished road cobra's Avatar
    Another lesson? Absolutely! Everyone can benefit from some coaching.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I hate the shanks, I have had them many a time, usually because I would stand too close to the ball
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    I hate the shanks, I have had them many a time, usually because I would stand too close to the ball
    my problem as well.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I think the most frustrating thing is that they seem to appear out of no where. I was at the range at Rivermead and was hitting balls quite well then about 10 shanks in a row. I simply walked away in disbelief and went to putt. I ended up not shanking a single ball during the round and played very well but for the life of me I could not figure out what has happened during my warm-up. They also reappeared this week at the range. I had not gone to a range in a long long time and after about 20 shanks I left very disappointed. They better keep away!!!!!!!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    my problem as well.
    That was my problem with my wedges a few weeks ago too. I finally after a few rounds started to realize I was standing to close to the ball, and too over the ball. Moving back a bit fixed my problem... for now.

Seems to be a common cause, I am off to the range early this afternoon before my game, I hope to get my swing back, maybe I should call Tiger for some tips!!
    Lefty Lucas

AEberhard
    Yeah I think I was shanking because my grip was so hard, and standing to close to the ball. My hand was all black from the grip at the end of the game, just was so frustrated. Anyway game is back up to where it used to be.

Thread Information