100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge skinsthegolf is on a distinguished road

Optishot..I'm impressed

Hello to all.
    After playing with this simulator, I must say I am very impressed with it. Given the time it takes to run to the driving range, time at the range and back plus the cost, I like this as an alternative on my off day to take 15 to 30 minutes and swing using it.
    For me, I particulary like the no ball mode. It lets me swing without the ball getting in the way (causing deceleration for me at times) of the swing.
    Right now I'm using my laptop and have no performance issues at all, but would like to get another computer dedicated to Optishot. Would i see a difference in the graphics with a better graphics card, making it worth the additional cost of a better card ?
    Cheers

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Yes a better graphics card will help. Glad to hear the Optishot is working well 4 you. It is a good system at that pricepoint. How is it with the woods, hybrids etc ? The limitations are related to the accuracy of the woods etc. but it is a decent system given the very low cost. Other systems are certainly more accurate but cost more.

bubba22
    At this point my recommendation is certainly from a entertainment not technical standpoint. Some inaccuracies with driver and woods, hybrids seem ok as with rest of clubs. I think possibly through time the results can be tweaked to reflect actual distances. Also I've noticed Optishot 2010 Practice Zone indicates numerous toe hits however actual ball striking doesn't seem so.
    In your opinion what are the benefits of a better graphics card, say $25.00 vs $50.00 vs $100.00 ?

I don't think you need a high end gaming graphics card. A 3d graphics card with dedicated memory should do.

Not familiar with the difference a graphics gaming card vs 3d graphics card. Can you explain as it relates to Optishot ? I'm just looking for the best results I can achieve without spending a bundle.

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    I had a 128mb card and the graphics were a little choppy. I would get one with at least 512mb but spend as much as you think you can afford. I went with a 1 gb card and things are very smooth. The better cards will give you higher resolutions if your monitor can provide these.

I have a 256 dedicated card that can steal some memory up to 1 gig and it runs perfect with the optishot and p3pro.

Putter itdude69 is on a distinguished road

Not so impressed

so i just purchased 3 weeks ago and have probably played 20 rounds with friends, etc.

the turf top is already tearing and accuracy seems to be about 75% to me ... i've set it up in my garage but more in a temp situation (wife). I hang nets on the back & sides of the screen then take them down after playing. I bit of a pain.

I haven't tweaked or customized my clubs yet as recommended and i'm not a good golfer. But i've had friends over so i could pay attention to the accuracy when they hit balls and i clearly can see the ball go right and the sim indicate the swing was (ball path = straight with face closed 5%) which should have been the opposite.

I may not have my lighting perfect yet, i've placed a flood light (flouresent) behind my projector aimed directly down at the sim. it's more to the back of the sim but directly inline with the center of the sim and screen.

Anyone have any suggestions here? I'm going to see if DD will warranty the carpet. If they don't, http://customdesigngolf sells a $50 replacement that they say is better quality than the original.

Be interested in hearing your opinions here on my setup and any advice for more accuracy

Thx. Bobby
    Attached Images

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    Nice setup, Bobby. I have mine in the garage, too. I used a curtain track with rollers to hang netting from. The screen also hangs from the track at the front. This way the side netting can be pushed back out of the way.

Two important points about setup. First you must be perfectly alighned with the optishot pad. A lot of people have trouble with open clubfaces due to improper alignment. The second point is the light should be directly above the pad as you don't want any shadows over it, not even from the club. I think your light may be too far back and may cast unwanted shadows.

I find this sim to be very accurate except for thin shots. Many have trouble with their drivers reading accurately.

There are many excellent post in the dancin dogg thread that should help you.

Welcome Bobby. Nice setup. Excellent advice from psace. He pretty well summed up the drift on the dd. I am surprised that the turf has started to fail so soon. The accuracy of the dd is limited and I would estimate it as you are seeing, certainly in my hands. Others claim better success. I have both the dd and the p3pro with launch angle measurement and without a single doubt the p3pro blows the dd away. The launch measurement is extremely accurate and really picks up on thin shots well. Do as psace says to help with the accuracy. You can also adjust the offset settings on the clubs.

Putter itdude69 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the advice bubba & psace, more questions

i will adjust my lighting then. DD did warranty the turf and is sending, that surprised me!

do you really see a significant difference by inputing the club specs?

I'm now very interested in the P3PRO but will probably wait until they release their new code.

Didn't cory say they are releasing new graphics and improved interface? if so, i'll probably wait.

On your P3PRO do you have the turf cover? i've heard it will cause the tape to come off your clubs and have to retape ... what's your opinion here ? that seems expensive and a pain.

Also, with the P3PRO you have to have a camera & additional software to measure launch angle right?

Sorry so many questions, this forum is awesome!

Thanks.

The club specs and offset do make a difference. Try playing with them to match your typical shot pattern.

For more accuracy the P3pro is a better bet. It has more sensors and sensor arrangements that allow for more precise club measurement. I have the grass top option which is extremely good and durable. It allows for more realistic irons off the mat. The grass from the p3pro folks is quite worth it, similair to the fiberbuilt grass mats. It is much better than the rubber top. I hit my irons very accurately without taping. I tape my driver and 3 woods. Obviously with the driver being teed up you shouldn't hit the mat and therefore I have not needed to retape it yet. My 3 wood I hit with a very shory winter tee and it doesn't need retaping. Hybrids work fine without taping. The taping is really only the driver and 3 wood. In my opinion it is a nonissue. I use black hockey tape and reflective tape that can be bought from any hardware shop (Canadian Tire, Home Depot etc.) It is not expensive at all. Just be careful that the tape is firm on and that there are no loose fragments shed from the tape that can affect the sensors. Not hitting the sole of the club with the driver should not destroy the tape.

I am not sure what code you are referring to but the p3pro is in the process of testing the GSA courses they are integrating with. The sim comes with a driving range and 2 courses that have ok graphics. The driving range is very, very good. It has been a slow process but they will hopefully soon release the GSA courses.

There is no ball sensor with the p3pro nor the dd. It simply senses the club estimates the ball path -- direction, speed, spin, distance and launch. The dd has as of yet no ball sensor integration. The p3pro has 2 ball sensor options. One is a webcam sensor option to determine the launch angle. It works extremely well and captures the launch angle of the ball but not the speed, direction or spin. Second option is integration with the Zelocity launch monitor which will further increase the accuracy by measuring all the ball characteristics. More expensive obviously. Without the launch, the system assumes the launch angle based on the club loft and the clubhead speed. The launch option plus the angle of club attack sensors really increase the accuracy of the unit.

Ryder Cup Par2Pro is on a distinguished road Par2Pro's Avatar
    Hey itdude,

Sorry to hear that you are having some issues with the DD, but glad to hear that they warrantied your turf! Also, great pics of the setup, I will have to see if I can use them on the new DIY site that will be coming this fall!

As far as the accuracy goes, the lighting is one of the key factors, as any stray points of light that change the reflection or get into the sensor pad will change the results.

Not sure if you know, but after DD lost the lawsuit from P3Pro, they were unable to leagally say that you could tape your clubs like the p3pro to get more accuracy.

Although I am probably not allowed to say that you can, but you can infer your own conclusion

Also, as far as the P3Pro courses go, I just got wind that they should be available in the next 2 to 4 weeks (hopefully sooner). They are still going to have a few minor bugs in them, but it is definitely usuable, more accurate and fun to play on (I have been one of the beta testers for the past couple of months )

Take care and if you have any other questions, feel free to post them or send me an email.

Cheers,
    Cory

Hope that helps!

6 Iron Daddyfats is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by skinsthegolf View Post
    bubba22
    At this point my recommendation is certainly from a entertainment not technical standpoint. Some inaccuracies with driver and woods, hybrids seem ok as with rest of clubs. I think possibly through time the results can be tweaked to reflect actual distances. Also I've noticed Optishot 2010 Practice Zone indicates numerous toe hits however actual ball striking doesn't seem so.
    In your opinion what are the benefits of a better graphics card, say $25.00 vs $50.00 vs $100.00 ?
    I verified that my DD reads toe and heel hits extremely accurately by using impact tape.

Ryder Cup Par2Pro is on a distinguished road Par2Pro's Avatar
    Hey Daddyfats,

I know that some people would really appreciate seeing how you tape your clubs to get the best accuracy. I have found the P3Pro strips work really well - are you using those?

Thread Information