CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    7 Iron holeinone is on a distinguished road

slicing the ball

I've been playing golf for around 5 years now and I've always had a natural draw on my ball (driving and irons) since day 1. I started fading/slicing the ball this year on EVERY single shot (i never hook or draw it anymore at all). I dont know what happened to my swing over the course of the winter for such a drastic change in the results. I havent changed my clubs, havent gained strenght, no injuries....

I noticed that I use to get a lot more roll with my draw and I want it back.

What could of caused this dramatic change?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Unfortunately it could be any of a million things.

Start with the basics. Check your stance, alignment, and grip. Then check to see if your swing path has somehow changed to be coming from out to in.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

3 Wood goley is on a distinguished road
    Slicing the ball is caused by and open clubfac, period. (assuming you make centered contact) Make sure the face isnt opening in the backswing or on the way down. Find someone who has a highspeed video camera that will capture the clubface on the downswing and start from there.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goley View Post
    Slicing the ball is caused by and open clubfac, period.
    Umm, not quite.

Open club face + inside to out path = push.

Square club face + out to in path = fade/slice.

Open face + out to in path = slice.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I would start at your grip and work your way back into your setup.

7 Iron holeinone is on a distinguished road
    weird thing is I dont feel like I've changed anything in my swing

time to head to the range a couple of times i guess

OK how about this... a slice is cause by the face being open relative to the path the club is swinging on.

What would happen if you took a perfectly on plane golf swing with a seven iron, had the face perfectly square to the target at impact and took a divot after the ball?

4 Iron Domo is on a distinguished road Domo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goley View Post
    OK how about this... a slice is cause by the face being open relative to the path the club is swinging on.

What would happen if you took a perfectly on plane golf swing with a seven iron, had the face perfectly square to the target at impact and took a divot after the ball?
    Push draw back to target? Because it's a 7 iron and all of the calculations (VSP, dynamic loft etc etc) the face will dictate MOST of the initial ball flight direction. Divot after ball and "perfectly on plane" seems to indicate path is from inside out. Face closed relative to path = push draw. Worst case is a straight draw left of target.

I am no Trackman/ Flightscope expert...

Nice call Domo!! A little push draw that end up left of the target.

Even though the swing is on plane to the target the downward strike makes the true path move to the right depending upon the amount of down. Ball should start 75-85 percent towards the face and the ball will draw back and end up on the left side of the target..... so in order to hit a straight ball while taking a divot, one must swing far enough left (over the top) to balance out the the downward strike and have the face square to the target at impact.

Trackman and Flightscope are the bomb!! takes the guess work out of the equation.

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    There are a few things I usually check out if I start slicing my driver (which for me can happen any place, any time).
    Am I cocking my left wrist? Flat wrist = better drive.
    Is my grip too tense? That'll usually lead me off the fairway.
    Is my take away smooth and straight back? Sometimes I get a little antsy over the ball and oops . . into the woods.
    If I've fixed/addressed all of these points I just focus on tempo and my driver will do what I want it to . . sometimes.

These are my usual problems with the driver . . hopefully they can help you.
    Even I've never heard of me

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Since you have hit a draw before I'm going to assume that you have the correct swing plane and that you take the club back arms and shoulders at the same time with the head of the club moving to the inside of the target line. If you want to check this just go somewhere where there's a bright light and a shiny club and watch where the club goes while watching the reflection of the light off of the club. Is the club coming from the inside on the down swing??? My guess is there is a 90% probability that you are flipping your hands/wrist on the takeaway ( rotating your hands clockwise) maybe because your hands are too close to your body and if you didn't flip your hands you would hit your right thigh on the back swing. Try to keep your hands quiet on the back swing with only the arms and shoulders rotating around the spine, there is a point in your back swing where you will start to cock your wrists (keep your left wrist flat) and have a bit more of a lifting action to the top but that's another story along with the initial move to start the downswing. Check your club head when it's about hip high and make note that the toe of the club is pointing around 11 o'clock (same as spine angle) it can be as much as 12 o'clock but then you know that your rotating more than need be. Let us know if you find out anything .
    Last edited by ironmaster15213; 08-13-2010 at 09:54 AM.

6 Iron cobra is on a distinguished road cobra's Avatar
    Book a lesson with a pro. It could be all kinds of things causing you to slice and a pro will be able to break it down for you.

Thread Information