100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar

My Bucket List: Learning to play guitar

Hey guys,

I know that a few of you like to play guitar and I'm looking for some advice....

I've always wanted to play an instrument and learning to play guitar is on my bucket list. That said, I'm looking for some recommendations on a decent beginners electric guitar and amp combo (manufacturer and model would be awesome) a good place in town to purchase said combo and a recommendation on where to get some lessons.

Thanks in advance!!

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    guitar hero
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    hey hacker, i bought a gibson epiphone (lefty) and i love it. I have no clue how to play it but i it looks really nice

seriously, I did a torrent search on learn guitar and downloaded everything. i can't remember which one i used but its not easy and it will take longer to learn guitar than it will to break into the 70s!! it is ridic hard on the fingers as well. I just learn happy birthday for my woman she loved it!!!

i think i'm giving up on this thing though, i kinda hate it and def suck at it. i'm no jarred pearl
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Start working on your rock and roll leg kick.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I guess the most popular place would be Syeves music on Rideau St. If you are looking at a beguiner combo,look at Fender. They have the best selection and are affordable if you buy the Squire series or Made in Mexico etc... Take it from me Scott,if this does not pan out for you, you can turn around and get some of your money back as the resale on these is good.Whats your budget like? I have a few amps kicking around in the basement.
    Good luck with your second carreer as a rock star LOL.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    While it seems that you're somewhat set on an electric, I would suggest that you buy yourself an acoustic as your first guitar. Decent ones can be a little bit cheaper than electric, are portable, more diverse wrt music which can be played, are more 'family' friendly and - best of all for you - you can either buy one with pickups etc. already built in or simply by a sound-hole pickup for it separately to give you that 'electric' capability. An electric can always be the next guitar if you carry on with the instrument.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I have to respectfully disagree with imozzie. While many of the things he's said are true, i agree with your choice of electric to start. Learning guitar, much like learning to golf, has the potential to be discouraging at the beginning. You want to make it as easy on yourself as possible. An electric has much lower action, and much thinner strings and, as such, is much easier on the fingers. You can always play it unplugged, or better yet, be sure to buy an amp with a headphone jack - that way you can avoid being too loud.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    I guess the most popular place would be Syeves music on Rideau St. If you are looking at a beguiner combo,look at Fender. They have the best selection and are affordable if you buy the Squire series or Made in Mexico etc... Take it from me Scott,if this does not pan out for you, you can turn around and get some of your money back as the resale on these is good.Whats your budget like? I have a few amps kicking around in the basement.
    Good luck with your second carreer as a rock star LOL.
    Hey Marcos,

In searching on various sites I was hoping that I'd be able to limit my initial investment to under $500 for a decent beginner guitar and amp. Steve's has a few different packages available all with Fender Squire series guitars that all come in under $400 before tax.

I take it from your comments that you think that the Fender Squire series is of reasonable quality......in so far as amps go, I'm completely clueless. I'm happy to purchase a higher quality used amp if it is better quality than a new "starter" amp like the ones in the Fender packages at Steves

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar
    Long and Mcquade (might have misspelled) out on Bank St has a fabulous collection of all kinds of instruments, amps, and also a rental program that is perfect if you are learning the ropes.

My son plays acoustic, electric and now getting real good at flamenco - he may even have an extra guitar or 2 lying around. PM me and I can put you in touch if you want a chat or a quick lesson.
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

Try Songbird Music (Gloucester and Bank). They have a great selection of used good quality, well known electric and acoustic. You can sit down and try everything from a $200 kit to a $2000 setup. I have many musician friends who frequent the place.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imozzie View Post
    Try Songbird Music (Gloucester and Bank). They have a great selection of used good quality, well known electric and acoustic. You can sit down and try everything from a $200 kit to a $2000 setup. I have many musician friends who frequent the place.
    Songbird Music in Ottawa closed in 2007. I believe Spaceman Music is now located at the same spot and is owned by some of Songbird's former employees.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Shows you how long its been since I've been there....now I'll make the trip just to see what new might be kickin' around!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Hey Marcos,

In searching on various sites I was hoping that I'd be able to limit my initial investment to under $500 for a decent beginner guitar and amp. Steve's has a few different packages available all with Fender Squire series guitars that all come in under $400 before tax.

I take it from your comments that you think that the Fender Squire series is of reasonable quality......in so far as amps go, I'm completely clueless. I'm happy to purchase a higher quality used amp if it is better quality than a new "starter" amp like the ones in the Fender packages at Steves
    Frankly, if your budget is 500, you can find some sweet guitars on Usedottawa.com or kijiji. If you're patient, you can nab yourself a Made in Mexico Fender for 350, and then grab a decent amp with the remaining 150. In the end, you'll end up with a much nicer setup than you'd ever get buying new. The tradeoff is you need a bit of patience, and a bit of knowledge (or the advice of someone knowledgeable).

Thread Information