100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Impact screen

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    Hope it works out for you,TheGolfer. No offense taken.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Open up a "My Foresight Problem" thread and paste some of your previous comments from here, then continue on with updates. It'll make it easier for potential customers and Foresight personnel to find using Google. This is the only golf simulator forum on the internet. It carries a lot of weight.

As for refunds on GGS, you'll have to ask Martin yourself. But replacement of defective hardware is a given. Protee and GGS knows the importance of these forums.

Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road
    I was looking at options for a impact screen that i can also watch HD movies on as a replacement. again, cdg / par2pro are out of material for custom widths for a while.

Has anyone had success using a white impact net? These are not your barrier netting but very strong dense netting - told a pin can go through the openings. They seem very strong and told the ball just drops when hit. I saw a screen shot of a sim image on the material and it looked ok but not sure how HD movies would look.

WestcoastingNetting carriers one below - very cheap relative to sim screens.

https://westcoastnetting.com/viewproduct.cfm?id=242

The movies may not look as good on it maybe? Thought I can put that up and then have cinema screen material behind that for movies? It just would be nice to have a single screen that handles both though.

Hybrid fhann is on a distinguished road fhann's Avatar
    The strong dense netting is very similar to netting that I have in my hitting net. My hitting net was made by Netting Masters, and the impact area has archery netting. It is very dense, but does have small openings due to the weaving of the threads. It does not accept HD quality images that you are wishing to achieve. I have installed Cory's HQ material in front of the archery netting to improve the quality of the projected picture and it is a very good surface. psace has installed his HQ screen almost identically to how I have. I do not have a rebound problem using real golf balls.

Just to give you some comparison numbers that you can interpolate for comparison with your rebound problem. My numbers for typically well hit shots are:

Driver ball speed is around 152 mph, (LA @ 13 degrees), and 5 iron ball speed is around 120 mph, (LA @ 18 degrees).
    Engineered Golf - Frank Hann 3.8 GHIN
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

the screen i have is a fluke. my 8rons (carry 160) usually hit the middle of the screen where its worse and bounce over my head from 9-10 feet. i even have nets in the back. nets in front seem to help some but can't see the image. drivers where you would think are worse due to ball speed are not because the lower you go the less bounce. except for the don't fly over head but can kick back at the gc2 unit. The very top bounce straight up into the ceiling but can be fixed with a baffle hanging over the screen top a few feet. The real issue is the shots that hit mid high. Very strange.

I think i will go the two screen rought which will cost the same as one of these screens. cinema screen da-lite 1.0 gain raw material with grommets added to hang for movies 8x 14 material is ~ 625. in front of that i could have the westcoastnetting white impact screen that just clips on easily on the courners so when I watch a movie it can be taken down fairly easily. i saw a golf sim image displayed on the material and it looked ok granted it was a picture loaded onto the computer and small which is always a challenge.

apprecaite the help.

5 Iron jagmanjoe is on a distinguished road
    TheGolfer,
    I may have missed some of this issue you have but have you tried no side tension and removing any weight out of the bottom not even a rod - the only thing pulling it down being the weight of the material so it hangs like a curtain. Unless the material is extremely rigid, based on my understanding of the laws of physics, the ball, unless hitting very near the top, should have very little bounce back. Now, I know that this will not be optimal at all but then, after verifying little to no bounce back, I would gradually add weight or pull to the bottom with bungees or straps on the side basically just hanging there -- no spring back. Hit some more shots into it and then gradually increase bottom weight and side pull as much as possible to obtain a reasonably flat screen with limited bounce back. Additionally, it might help to have multiple weights spaced across the bottom rather than one solid piece to allow for more give so to speak from the bottom.

You may have tried this already and, if so I apologize for taking the time. If balls bounce back with no tension on the sides or bottom, I would really like to see video of it - perhaps seeing it happening we could come up with some other options.

Bogie Libbing is on a distinguished road Libbing's Avatar
    If hanging the screen with nothing on the sides and bottoms work, you could have it setup like that for hitting and then bungee it in a couple of places (near the bottom pulling down at an angle) to make it somewhat tight for movie watching when needed. Might not be tight enough all the way around though. Doesn't solve the issue of impact marks on the screen.

thanks again for the suggestions. greatly appreciate it. i am open to trying anything.

the textiline material is a very thick, strong, plastic feeling like material. not cloth or netting like. when i first openened it felt it i was impressed with the strength. i removed all side connections and left it hanging from the top with no tension on sides. From 9-10 feet back for some reason when you hit shots into the middle of the screen the ball flys back. I video taped behind the screen to insure its not bouncing off the wall (15" space) and its not even close. Since it has the webbing sewn in one the sides and the strength of the material it still has a lot of spring with no tension on the sdies / bottom which is very weird. the only thing i can now think of is that maybe the company mostly installs 10ft wide screens and the 14ft wide screen with this material has a natural spring effect that is too much (they said it won't be a problem when ordering).

i have tested putting netting behind the screen which in some cases slows the bounce down to something better manageable except for the center. even tried putting netting in front which helps a little more but bad picture quality.

i even tried pulling the bottom inwards to make the screen on an angle downwards to see if that helps and it didn't.

thanks again for the suggestions. i am open to trying everything.

Bogie Libbing is on a distinguished road Libbing's Avatar
    Can't recall from your other posts, are you using real balls or reduced velocity ones? Maybe the reduced velocity would bounce back less?

using real balls. i bought it for a teaching aid versus a game so i can't go that route. i tried different compression balls and get the same result from my prov1s to my daugthers 45 compression. interesting you get the different spin and trajectory for different balls with the gc2 as you would expect but the rebound on the screen is the same. on a seperate note i can't wait to start using it to test spin / trajectory of different balls and shafts. i cant test the almost golf balls for fun but since real golf balls differ quite a bit from spin / trajectory hitting fake balls i don't see how they can produce the same LA, spin, trajectory, and speed.

thanks for the suggestions. always appreciated.

i think the path left is to try the westcoastnetting.com pr-20 white impact screen to replace the screen. since its an impact panel its made to have balls just drop at impact and is more of a cloth material versus a plastic type and is very durable. i seen pictures of the golf sim on it and it looks ok. suspect the HD movies won't be but never know. First priority is to be able to hit balls without damaging / hurting anyone. if it works but the HD movies don't come out as well then i can order the raw da-lite cinema 1.1 gain screen material and have grommets sewn in. getting drop down screens for 14 x 8 ft are a little pricey but getting the same high end raw material is like 5-6 sqft. then hang the cinema screen behind the golf screen. the golf impact panel can be hung up via cabaners (sp?) (fastner / hooks) that i can quickly take down / up the golf screen when i want to watch the movies. at the end of the day the cost of both will be about the same as this screen. it would be nice to have a single screen but the other problem with this screen is it leaves ball indentions all over it. i have only been testing the gc2 unit and the rebound so i am not doing full practice session yet and there are ball indentions all over the center. after a month this material will be absolutely cratered with ball indentions which i would think will effect the HD movies.

don't really notice the sound but at this point i would take the sound of a cannon with a ball dropping several feet in front of the screen versus something quiter and coming back at you like a cannon

Gap Wedge Simages is on a distinguished road Simages's Avatar
    TheGolfer;
    Wow... I don't have a choice,but to give my Foresight 10'-6" width screen a try when it arrives. Now I'm curious if the bounce back does have something to do with the width? I'll report back my situation ASAP.

1 Iron FaultyClubs is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGolfer View Post
    ...I video taped behind the screen to insure its not bouncing off the wall (15" space) and its not even close...
    The above is a big red flag to me. How much is it moving exactly? And is this when ONLY hanging from the top (ie. NOTHING on the sides AND NOTHING on the bottom)? If not, how much does it move under that condition?

Hybrid fhann is on a distinguished road fhann's Avatar
    To TheGolfer:

I noticed in other threads that you have adapted your hitting bay to serve a dual purpose as a home cinema theater. Might you have made the area behind the impact screen too airtight? If it is not fully open to the sides, then the air pressure cannot be relieved quickly enough, causing the impact screen to become more rigid and may increase your bounce back.

Best regards,

Frank Hann
    Engineered Golf - Frank Hann 3.8 GHIN
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

Quote Originally Posted by fhann View Post
    To TheGolfer:

I noticed in other threads that you have adapted your hitting bay to serve a dual purpose as a home cinema theater. Might you have made the area behind the impact screen too airtight? If it is not fully open to the sides, then the air pressure cannot be relieved quickly enough, causing the impact screen to become more rigid and may increase your bounce back.

Best regards,

Frank Hann
    Frank - that's is something new and it sounds logicial. i did follow their dections thought to have it mounted several inches from the edge of the wall. i will find a way to test this tomorrow. greatly appreciate it.

i will somehow shorten the screen on the sides to allow for greater air gap. i do have rectangles cut out of the new front walls for speakers that have a black mesh for protection that is easily breathable.

greatly appreciate the thoughts. i will test it tomorrow.

regards,

TheGolfer, curious about you screen situation. Did you get it resolved?

Foresight agreed to accept a return for a refund. There is something wrong with it. I think I tried everything. Not sure if it was random dumb luck like the first bum unit. I ordered the white PR-20 impact panel 9x15 from westcoastnetting.com. Very friendly service. It's more of a traditional impact panel that is very sturdy and supposedly the balls drop when they hit it. I have used smaller impact panels before with tube enclosures and they didn't have any bounce back. The question is how will the sim images and HD movies look on it. They showed me a picture of a simulator displayed on it and it looked fine but that was on the computer. They did say they haven't tested movies and plan on updating their website later this month to begin selling it as a simulator screen. I think for my size, 3 day shipping, and 16 hooks it as $300 and that's with webbing on the sides and #2 grommets along sides / top. Maybe after this experience we all have a new low coast sim screen as an option

Once I get it I will return the foresight screen. I am still trying to use the foresight screen lightly to finish testing the second unit so I can return the first but need to be careful since the balls do go flying across the room and hit things.

Once I get the new impact panel I will test the HD movies also. They say the mesh holes are about the size of a pin hole. It's more of a cloth material versus the forsight textaline which feels more llike a plastic material. If its not good for movies which they did not advertise it to be then I plan on ordering the raw cinema quality screen from da-lite and having grommets sewn in and hang that behind the impact panel. The impact panel doesn't need a lot of connections and can come off quick with the snap hooks. The cinema screens I know are very good and have reflective gains >= 1.0 but I don't need the best HD screen since watching the movies on the textaline material seemed good enough.

I should have the screen by next Thursday.

I will keep the forum posted. Thanks.

Glad to hear they're giving you a refund.

I might post a screen review in a few weeks.

once i get it up and running i will post a review. maybe we can get something positive out of this afterall wrt the new screen.

Ace goatbarn is on a distinguished road
    I ahve the PR-20, granted only a 10 x 8. I think it's fantastic. I blast 170 mph driver balls into from about 6 ft away. Picture looks fine for me. I know the mesh/not having a blackout curtain behind is hurting it's chances but it's quite nice. I can post a video if I figure out how to if you'd like.

Also, I got mine last year with the reinforcement webbing and grommets every 1' around the outside of it so I can rotate/flip the screen so that the hitting area will be worn in at 4 different spots. Should prolong the life by 4 times??

impact screen video

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B6R...zYmVj&hl=en_US

Sorry for angle/quality of video, but it's an idea. Had garage light on too, so screen is washed out. I have this screen set up very loosely, but I've added some bungees that've made the screen more tight/less wrinkles since then.

@goatbarn

thanks for posting the video. very cool. nice drive by the way

the same shot with my foresight screen with no side connections would fly across the room at my head and hit my back wall no exaggeration. i love how it drops down. that's what preston said it would do. very cool.

it's a great price point also.

Thanks, no problem.

I'm sure your setup would look much better with this screen. I actually emailed the company after I used it for a while and told them they should advertise that it works as a great impact screen for projector use. They said they would update their product page, but never did.

In the past I bought thick black coated netting (not impact panel) from them and have been very pleased. Use it for pitch shots from the basement putting / chipping green fringe and plan to use it to catch the bunker shots to.

I still need some netting off the ceiling down the center for high shots that go above the screen - LW, SW, flop, lobs, etc. The carpet protects the sheetrock but the ball still bounces hard off of it. Looking at drooping some above the screen across and from the ceiling out several feet. Looking at their archery netting for this after talking with them. Looks nicer and like the PR-20 the ball doesn't rebound but drops off of it.

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    Wonder if has tried to make a curved screen?
    I have this idea in my headof a screen curved to the radius of the projector distance.
    Depending on the projector distance you would have a 12' wide screen in a 10' space.

archv6625
    It could be done, but you would need an additional lens placed precisely in the proper location in front of the projector to make it happen. Projectors are designed to have a flat field of focus, and moving a few inches or 10cm from the exact field of focus will cause the image to be noticeably out of focus, getting worse the farther away from the plane of focus you get.

Could you do it? Sure. It'd probably be cheaper to go with 3 screens and 3 projectors though.

I was not thinking on a huge 180 degree radius. The distance from the projector to the screen with be the same in the entire width!
    If the projector is 15 feet away from the screen and the screen 10' wide,then the screen would be around 1 feet deeper in the center than on the sides.
    Maybe that is what you mean would give a focus problem?

I would love to have a 3 projector setup but not sure it is worth the hassle?

Quote Originally Posted by syhlif32 View Post
    The distance from the projector to the screen with be the same in the entire width!
    If the projector is 15 feet away from the screen and the screen 10' wide,then the screen would be around 1 feet deeper in the center than on the sides.

Isn't that a contradiction within you're own two sentences? The distance from the screen on the outsides would be 14 and the distance in the center would be 15. Am I crazy?

Not a contradiction! Look at the screen from the projector view point. With a flat screen there is about a foot longer distance to the sides than to the center of the screen.
    But then again the distance to the bottom of the screen is longer than the top on a ceiling mounted projector.
    Guess that is as he pointed out how the projector lenses are build.

Ah gotcha. Yeah I would think you'd need a lense that doesn't account for a flat screen projection to actually take advantage.

Thread Information