CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Impact screen

Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road
    check out a material called textiline. there are a lot of suppliers. heard the foresight screen is this material. there are different types like 80 / 90 / 95. haven't had time to research but definitely will for my replacement screen. the foresight screen is very good quality, don't know about long term durability yet since its my first one but they are using it in commerical settings for dicks, golfsmiths, golfwarehouse, etc where they literally get pounded daily.

just installed the foresight screen 14.5 x 8.5 image in 16:10. it is a mesh like material. at first i thought this would effect the HD picture. i have a black carpet hanging behind for wall protection and to help the image. the HD picture is absolutely incredible. far surpasses my expectations. the gt750-e also displays a great image and surpised it displays a nice image even with some lights on. it could be having the 3k lumens with short throw ~12 ft. i think if you have the same lumens but go back 20ft the image wont be as bright. i was worried there might be pixelation / screen door effect with an image that big but there is none.

a nice feature of the foresigth screens that one should consider if creating your own from any source material are the top and side flaps. they are the same material but in black and they fold over from the edge of the screen over the bungee / angle iron onto your frame via velcro. very nice finish where you don't see any of the hardware. if you are building your own don't think you need the one side sewn. can just get a 2 foot wide strip of the material and velcro it. I would think the edges need to be folded and sewn for a nicer finish.

below is one supplier but again there are many if you google it. looks like a canvas and the 80, 90, 95 types could be different types that vary the amount of sunblock.

http://www.arizonasunsupply.com/Cut-To-Length-Fabric/

5 Iron jagmanjoe is on a distinguished road
    Real interesting about the textiline. My wife used to work for a tennis supply company and they sold windscreen in various colors. When she was working there, we had some hemmed and grommeted which I put up on an emt frame between pilings out on our dock to watch movies at night outside every so often. We and our guests were always surprised at the quality of the picture even though the windscreen has the holes in it. And, although not golf balls, the windscreen is generally designed for tennis courts which produce some pretty good hits even though a tennis ball isn't near a golf ball in density.

1 Iron FaultyClubs is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the info on the textilene. I'll see if it is available locally and go from there. I'm pretty sure my lawn chair is that material...and it rips. Maybe it is too light a material though and there is much heavier stuff with denser weaves.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGolfer View Post
    just installed the foresight screen 14.5 x 8.5 image in 16:10. it is a mesh like material.
    I've been looking into this material, apparently there are a lot of PVC coated polyester frabrics of which Textilene is one brand name. Can you describe your screen material more or even provide a close up picture of the mesh pattern? I'm wondering how big the holes are, and whether you can still see through the material at all? So far locally I'm finding 100% (ie no holes) woven material (ie waterproof) but I get the distinct impression your screen is not 100% solid but perhaps around 90% (ie small holes for breathability)? The 100% may work but might be noisy compared to a mesh with some breathability.

EDIT: Also is the material woven? The mesh sample the guy provided me turns out to be a vinyl coated polester like Textilene except it isn't woven and probably about 70% light blockage.

I confirmed my lawn chair is textilene material but a very open mesh. Pretty strong stuff for it's weight but obviously not what we're looking for as not solid enough for pictures or strong enough for long term ball bashing.
    Last edited by FaultyClubs; 12-04-2011 at 02:48 PM.

The material has very tiny holes. I was told my foresight they went with a mesh like material for durability and sound. I hit a few balls tonight into it to test the bungies and didn't really notice the sound. I do have the bungies too tight and the ball bounces back. Need to loosen them a bit. Curious if anyone else has experience this with bungies.

Material is not "woven". Solid without seams but mesh with very tine holes. It has a plastic / canvas like feel to it rather than cloth / cotton like.

The textline 80/90/95 types sound almost like the % of sunlight that can pass which translates to larger / smaller mesh i guess. When I get everything configured and get some time i can request free samples of each and compare to the screen. I think the material is cheap.

i like how they have the pad on top to hange via a steel cable versus bungies on top. it sounds like bungies over time may tear the fabric due to tension. suspect the sides should have little tension relative to the weight hanging from the top. if you go this route recommend using ratchet straps from home depot versus the turnbuckles. the ratchet straps are very easy to get the tension due to leverage rather than trying to turn the turnbuckles by hand or wrench.

let me know if you get anywhere with the textline material. i will do the same. it could be a very cheap way to make replacement screens but still have a quality screen.

someone else asked if i see the mesh. when i watched movies with blueray/dvd i didn't see the mesh. when i use the simulator i can see a little of the mesh from maybe 5 feet away. not sure the difference except that maybe the sim has more very light white or light green background. i also had more lights on when using the sim.

Well I may have spoke too soon about this screen material. I tried several combinations and they all bounce back. Curiuos if anyone has any ideas?

1. Hang screen from cable top with no bungies on sides
    2. Very loose bungies on sides
    3. Medium tension on sides
    4. High tension on sides
    5. High tension on sides and cut zip ties that were stopping the sag in the middle of the screen at top

The only place I don’t get reduced bounce back is near the bottom of the screen. The only thing different about this location is there is nothing holding it down – there are still bungies on the side but the bottom has a lot of give.

I also now have ball marks on the screen only after hitting a few shots into it. Not sure if that happens to them all? Ok for golf but I can see the picture quality going down for movies after a few weeks of taking shots.

Shots hitting bottom of screen bounce back least. Shots in center bounce directly back at golfer. Shorts near top bounce up into and off the ceiling then back at golfer.

The screen is 15” from back wall.

Tee is 9 feet from screen.

John

7 Iron ScottRempel is on a distinguished road
    Obviously reducing the tension will reduce the bounce back, but you'll have to figure out how to keep the screen relatively smooth so as not to degrade the image quality. I have no knowledge on impact screens, but as you probably know, a lot of projector screens have no side support (think of a manual roll down unit). If you can keep the screen perfectly straight across the top and have a long straight bar along the bottom of the screen then you should get a relatively flat screen. Maybe you can use a few relatively loose bungees along the side just to correct any flaws that you feel would degrade image quality too much. Sounds like the top being supported by a cable is part of your challenge. As I think you mentioned before, it is pretty much impossible to keep a cable completely straight, no matter how much tension is on it, once you start applying a load to the center.
    Based on that I think your option of loose bungees on the side might be the place to start, and do what you can along the top to keep the screen as straight as possible so that it hangs with minimal ripples, etc. If only the top of the screen is secured tightly, then the screen should give enough to absorb the energy from the golf balls, preventing them from bouncing back.

thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGolfer View Post
    ...Material is not "woven". Solid without seams but mesh with very tine holes. It has a plastic / canvas like feel to it rather than cloth / cotton like....
    Textilene 80/90 etc is "woven" so it doesn't sound like your screen is Textilene.

What you have sounds similar to the sample I have...a non-woven PVC coated polester mesh. My mesh is about a 12x12 grid with 1/32" holes. How does that compare with your Foresight screen?

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    I have bungies along the top and then along the both sides to within 2 feet of the bottom. I then put a thin emt tube in the bottom to weight it down. The screen is very flat and balls ball straight down. I made sure the bungies weren't too tight on the sides, just a loose fit so the screen is fairly flat. I placed the bungies a foot a part on the top and 2 feet apart on the sides. Very happy with the result.

5 Iron jagmanjoe is on a distinguished road
    I would have some real concern about the marks on the screen. If only a few shots, I can't imagine what it will look like after a few months. Mine is a low end cordura that I had stitched and there are no signs of ball marks after a couple of months of use.

4 Iron madspeed is on a distinguished road
    psace, what impact screen do you have??? where is dauphin btw??

I have the hq screen from par2pro.com. It was $400 for the raw material and I had the wife hem the edges so I could put the grommets in and the emt tube in the bottom. It is 10 x 10 feet in size. Very nice material and quiet.

Dauphin is located in the province of Manitoba in central Canada, about 200 miles north of Minot North Dakota.

thanks, I'm considering going with cory's screen material as well. Was curious, because there is a town near me name Dauphin, but its in PA

Everyone who has the hq screen seems to like it.

There are many cities/towns in the US and Canada that have the same name.

I am taking back my initial recommendation on the foresight screen. final review of this product and its crap. don't buy it.

i put it up and tested videos first with my duaghter. the hd video looked nice and i shouldn have kept my mouth closed until i tested the golf.

unfortunately the main purpose is to hit golf balls and its awful. i hired a professional contractor to install using their step by step instructions. this material which they called textiline has severe bounce back issues. it must be different from what they used at the pga show (youtube doesn't show bounce back) nor at the golfsmith i tested. i tried no bungies, light, medium, high tension bungies, tried weighing down the bottom, cutting the zip ties from the top that stopped the major sag from happening and it still comes flying back at you.

The only guidance the company could muster is "less bungie tension produces less bounce back"

I am 15" from the wall which they recommended >= 12 inches. I am 9 feet from screen which they recommended > 8.

i know someone else that bought the textiline raw material, looks similar, and had grommets installed and it bounces back severely.

i tried placing netting behind the screen but no luck. netting in front of the screen does help the problem a little.

also haven't play a single round yet with it. just testing different shots into the screen every time a do an adjustment on the bungies. after these shots 1/3 of them leave these big ball marks in the screen. if you hit a small bucket of balls a few days a week and play a round or two this thing is going to be cratered after 1-2 weeks.

the mesh like surface does not show up on the hd videos. which i indicated on prior premature review. when you put the sim up you can see the mesh if you are < 8 feet from it perhaps different lighting with the sim versus hd movie. sim seems to use light white and light green colors which it shows up more.

long story short - save your money there has to be much better products out there. plus customer service has not been too helpful except for stating they have never had a problem with a single screen. mean while in the same communication they have a solution for part of the problem when the balls hit midway up or higher and bounce off the ceiling - funny they have a solution for a problem where no body has ever had a problem with in the first place.

Buyer beware.

Looks like Cory will be getting another order!!

You mentioned earlier the foresight screen was used in dicks, golfsmiths, golfwarehouses etc where it gets pounded daily but that doesn't seem consistent with your bounceback or severe ball marking problems. Something (or many things) don't add up....hard to know what to think out of all this!

EDIT: Just a thought...you mentioned earlier that you had a black carpet hanging behind...is there any chance that is causing the excessive bounceback?

i agree many things don't add up. the big ball marks are definitely real. now granted i did not go up close to the screen when I tested in golfsmith. i am guessing they were 12feet back. if it were the same screen perhaps with lights on I can't see the ball marks. like how the mesh seems to go away when watching movies.

now that i have quite a few ball marks I can turn the projector on and see if it hides them or they stand out. this thing will definitely be cratered in the next week or two of use.

foresight told me 12" should be fine behind the screen. I have 15" to be safe. I am trying to see if the screen is giving in too much and hitting the wall which is causing rebound. any tests welcome that would definitely show this? it's possible that by ordering a 14ft wide screen image and if they normally go with 10ft that I need a deeper back end because the material is wider and therefore gives more. They should know this if they sell screen material of varying widths and never mentioned it. now i understand it. if you have a small width fabric and push against the center it moves a little. if you have a wider fabric held apart with same force and push against it the middle moves in more. still trying to these this theory by placing different objects behind the screen to slow the impact. i have tried hanging netting. tight netting seems to help a little. Netting in front helps a lot but gets in the way of the picture.

i am just as confused. followed directions to the tee. in the dicks, etc installs they install the standard 10x10. perhaps that shorter width has something to do with it. i am asking if they use the same exact material or if this is new material? maybe this is not the same material which could explain it. they said they have other material that is like a net that will catch the ball but the image quality is worse. i watched videos of the pga show and they don't have bounce back on their screens but they said they are using their own enclosure.

its possible that they didn't realize the 14' screen bends more than the 10ft standard screen width and therefore needs a lot more room than the 12 or my 15 inches from the back wall. i even tried very tight netting to preven going to the wall but no bungies on the screen and still rebounds. it would be nice to find a cheap material to test to put behind the screen to deaden the impact to see if that helps. i tried 2" insualation sheating but that didn't seem to get touched.

even if i determine the screen space is the issue and need to add additional material behind there the crater effect that develops so quickly doesn't make this material very attractive.

I use my wifes cheap P&S camera in video mode to observe how far the screen is deflecting under impact (or if it is hitting anything). If the P&S has a slow motion mode even better (most of them do nowadays even the cheap ones).

Quote Originally Posted by madspeed View Post
    Looks like Cory will be getting another order!!
    It is a very nice screen and blue ray movies look terrific, too!

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    TheGolfer,

No bungies on the sides and it still rebounds too much? Ball marks after a few swings? You can see the mesh in the video from 8ft? Why would they even sell a screen like this? It sounds like garbage no matter what the price is.

Thanks for the heads up on this screen. My 10 ft wide CDG screen is almost a year old and will probably need to be replaced soon. My screen doubles as a home theater screen so I keep it very taut with bungies all around the screen. I get a little rebound because of this but I don't fear for my life after a swing.

Btw, how is the GC2 working out for you. Still waiting for your review. Along with the other ones you promised. No worries if you're busy with building phase.
    Last edited by ZMax; 12-07-2011 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    TheGolfer,

No bungies on the sides and it still rebounds too much? Ball marks after a few swings? You can see the mesh in the video from 8ft? Why would they even sell a screen like this? It sounds like garbage no matter what the price is.

Thanks for the heads up on this screen. My 10 ft wide CDG screen is almost a year old and will probably need to be replaced soon. My screen doubles as a home theater screen so I keep it very taut with bungies all around the screen. I get a little rebound because of this but I don't fear for my life after a swing.

Btw, how is the GC2 working out for you. Still waiting for your review. Along with the other ones you promised. No worries if you're busy with building phase.
    Yea, I am still in the building, returning, lawyer and gun phase

The screen is garbage. Apparently it seems like they now implie it works with their $7.5k enclosure that somehow makes it work. I saw videos with them hitting into their enclosure with no bounce back. Not sure how they are doing it and they won't disclose anything. They never told me the screen doesn't work without the enclosure - they even't sent me detailed install instructions.

Using their install instructions its dangerous. I have tried just hanging from the top, top with bottom corner bungie, no bungies, light bungies, medium tension, and strong tension, net behind. I videod from behind to show its not rebounding off the wall from 15 inches. I know someone else that bought the raw textiline material - looks and feels the same - and also has a huge rebound effect.

It's not a small rebound either. It flies back and can hurt someone or the equipment in the room.

Corey said he is currently out of material for his HQ. It sounds like several people are using the CDG and are happy with movies, golf, and no rebound. I was told just need to install a net behind to help reduce the impact whcih is no problem.

Bogie Libbing is on a distinguished road Libbing's Avatar
    You could also reach out to ProTee and get their screen. Cory says that its pretty similar to the one he sells and that he hasn't heard any complaints from those with the Protee screen. Not sure of the cost comparison. I have received by screen and it feels and looks fantastic out of the box; grommets on sides and top; fairly bright white; fabric is thick but it feels almost luxurious - it's a bit odd actually; but I haven't hung it yet (waiting for my carpenter, he's killing me; now Dell says that it will be 6 weeks to ship me the computer instead of the 2 weeks they told me when I ordered it - ugh - might have to borrow my kids laptop to get it up and running). Hoping my carpentar builds the platform next week in which case I can setup the system the following week pending travel schedule.

Bogie Libbing is on a distinguished road Libbing's Avatar
    to clarify - my screen if from ProTee, not from Cory

does anyone have experience with hanging black 1050 ballistic nylon behind the screen to stop rebound / impact? below is a site that sells it. very strong stuff. curious if a ball would just drop hitting that material or bounce off.

also has anyone tried hanging white netting in front of the screen and gets a decent image for the golf sim?

i am slowing the rebound of the foresight screen with strong netting behind and white netting in front. slows all but 7,8,9 irons that mostly hit around center (mostly 8 iron). the image isn't good with the white net i have. for this option thinking about getting a heavy duty impact panel in white with little mesh to hang in front possibly.

not sure if the 1050 ballistic nylon in back could help avoid both nets?

curious if anyone has experience with either one 1) ballistic nylon behind, 2) white netting in front.

thanks.

regards,

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    TheGolfer,

You're taking your frustrations out on psace. There was nothing wrong with his comments. You shouldn't have to perform magic tricks on a $1K screen. I can't imagine what you're going through but we're not the people to get angry at. You should open up a new thread explaining your ordeal with Foresight, the screen, and the GC2 problems that you're having. Take your frustrations out in that thread. You're the second person that has issues with their GC2. For that kind of money, you would expect great customer service. Shouldn't need lawyers. Potential customers need to hear these problems.

As for the screen, did you mention that you had a video to show how much it moves or bends? I would like to see that.

Here's an idea. Try mounting the screen at an angle, where the top is closer to you and the bottom is farther away from you. Use strong tie wraps at the top or whatever works so the screen swivels at the top. Bungies everywhere else. Try that first.

Just thinking out loud here but maybe maybe if you can get the tension to be as tight as you can, perrhaps it'll reduce the amount of flex and maybe the amount of bounce? Be careful here as I might be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    TheGolfer,

You're taking your frustrations out on psace. There was nothing wrong with his comments. You shouldn't have to perform magic tricks on a $1K screen. I can't imagine what you're going through but we're not the people to get angry at. You should open up a new thread explaining your ordeal with Foresight, the screen, and the GC2 problems that you're having. Take your frustrations out in that thread. You're the second person that has issues with their GC2. For that kind of money, you would expect great customer service. Shouldn't need lawyers. Potential customers need to hear these problems.

As for the screen, did you mention that you had a video to show how much it moves or bends? I would like to see that.

Here's an idea. Try mounting the screen at an angle, where the top is closer to you and the bottom is farther away from you. Use strong tie wraps at the top or whatever works so the screen swivels at the top. Bungies everywhere else. Try that first.

Just thinking out loud here but maybe maybe if you can get the tension to be as tight as you can, perrhaps it'll reduce the amount of flex and maybe the amount of bounce? Be careful here as I might be wrong.
    My statement to Psace is legitimate and is not directed at the general forum but is very specfic to him. On a number of posts he had nothing but something rude to say directly to me. Not sure of this problem but he is getting called on it for now on. If I know someone is having this type of problem and asked for help my response would not be "you are going overboard", "why are you going to such extremes?" It's plain rude and has nothing of any use of being posted.

Thanks for the suggestions on the screen. At this point I am trying everything. It does seem if you have the top closer the angle should make the ball bounce slightly downward maybe.

once i get things resolved i will post the experience to help others. at this point the priority is getting this resolved asap. i have been having a lot of communication offline with people that are interested letting them know of some of the issues i came across.

if you have a properly functioning gc2 unit it is hard to beat the accuracy which most people agree. the key is properly functioning. the software tech support has been good. the customer service on working through these issues has been awful which they leave to a partner to do. they say they get calls from people that don't really know their true carry - don't understand that since its easy to check with a range finder to the flag and your ball mark. maybe higher handicaps don't know the true carry but don't think they will be looking at the gc2 also. the screen, well don't buy it and learn from my experience.

curious - does protee and gsa offer full refunds? didn't see that in the quotes I had before.

I agree with Zmax, TheGolfer. It would be great if you would post in one thread instead of posting the same information in multiple threads.

I sense your anger and frustration. I also sense you are a perfectionist and your simulator setup is driving you crazy.

I guess I should have been clearer in my posts and apologize for any misconceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by psace View Post
    I agree with Zmax, TheGolfer. It would be great if you would post in one thread instead of posting the same information in multiple threads.

I sense your anger and frustration. I also sense you are a perfectionist and your simulator setup is driving you crazy.

I guess I should have been clearer in my posts and apologize for any misconceptions.
    Psace, thanks for the apology. Sorry to come back at you but it felt like each post response from you was more personal annoyance versus trying to help someone that needed help. Appreciate it. Not sure of the multiple threads but clearly can see if it was from a couple months ago when i first joined I was not aware of forum etiquette since it was the first time using one. Again, my apolgies also.

I am very frustrated like anyone would be after spending over $15k. This is not like the expected little frustration / inpatience of getting a first sim setup that I think is probably normal. It's just the bad luck of the draw. The equivalent would be buying a car, having it delivered, it doesn't work, and the dealer / mfr doesn't want to help you and its just sitting in your driveway and you need to go out and buy another one if you want a car.

Plus my house is a mess. I converted my practice room into a bedroom (wife just loved that one ) already and then had a contractor come in and do the construction to build out the walls, enclosure for around the screen and ceilings in the prior room, ran new speaker wires through the walls/attic for the new receiver/speakers, and hung new touch screen on the wall for the sim. Yes. I am a little frustrated, but not at anyone on this forum.

Thread Information