CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Impact screen

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    Perhaps a white golf net directly in front of the screen will work. With the net right up against the screen and very taut, the image will still be affected somewhat but you will be protecting the screen. I'm just thinking out loud here as I haven't tried anything like this.
    Or you can put a netting in front of the screen Again the image may be a bit compromised but the screen will be well protected.

Putter joediggy is on a distinguished road
    Anybody try putting carpet behind screen for strength? I use a white sheet in front of a piece of extra carpet.

70's
    Hitting Projection Screen.pdfI just searched for white netting as I think this is a great way to go if it is the only option. What net are you thinking of https://westcoastnetting.com/viewproduct.cfm?id=242 or https://westcoastnetting.com/viewproduct.cfm?id=134. I just ordered a hd projector today and am really bummed that no one knows of a screen that can handle my brother. I just tell him he cannot come over, that not going to be cool. My swing is in the 115-119 so Par2pro’s net should hold up? Also foresight sports has an impact screen I will find out what kind of speeds that can handle.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    I just bought a net from this guy. It's cheap and it might work for you. It's worth a try.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nylon-Golf-Cage-...item2c5a9e7dd9

I'll try putting it in front of my screen and see how it looks. It's late now. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Ryder Cup Par2Pro is on a distinguished road Par2Pro's Avatar
    Hey Guys,

Sorry for the delayed response - been crazy busy lately (at the PGA Show this weekend running the KP to raise money for the Kids Care Foundation ).

The HQ raw impact screen material that I sell has been used by PGA Professionals who can hit drives full out into the screen, so the 185-190 mph speed shouldn't be a problem.

70's - if you want end up buying the screen and it has a problem, you can send it back to me for a refund. If you are really cranking them out there, be sure to do the following:

1. Be sure to properly finish the screen with professionally hemmed edges, and grommets or strapping mounted with reiforcement (webbing, double-hem, etc.).

2. Mount the screen properly - this means using bungee ties or rope, mounting to smooth-edged hooks, leaving a little slack, covering the mounting area and leaving at least 18" from the back wall (I would suggest 24" for you).

3. Be sure to ALWAYS use clean, uncut balls.

4. Setup a 10 x 10 net (get a professional one for $100 to $150, not a cheap one) behind the screen as a safety baffle.

For more info on the screen and/or to order:
    http://par2pro.com/catalog/product_i...products_id=98

*NOTE: for those who want to put a net in front of your screen, you should be aware that you will get shadowing from the net and a bit of a distorted picture. If you really want to do it this way, consider rear-projection so that your picture is much more clear.

Hope that helps, but if anyone has any questions that they need a quick response on, just email me at cory@par2pro.com.

Take Care & Happy Golfing!
    Cory
    Par2Pro

70's I have Cory's screen and love it. The image quality is very good. Ii seems quite durable and is perfect for my set up however I am not hitting HULK shots like you guys are. I highly recommend however.

70's
    Cory that sounds great, everyone loves the service that you provide and everyone only has great things to say about you on this forum. I will give you a call on Monday to talk about the screen. Thanks for everyones help.

70's
    Cory
    I just bought the impact screen today. When I get it I will set it up and let you know if my brother brings the house down. Thanks again for the heads up. I will put padding and a net behind the screen. Will let you know how is turns out

Sand Wedge GOLFINFLA is on a distinguished road
    Anyone know of a good impact screen material located here in U.S. as I am concerned with the shipping cost/clearance etc from Cory. That seems to be the screen of choice but trying to find alternate.

ZMAX you are in Chicago; what are you using and from what company if you don't mind?

7 Iron tahosrfr is on a distinguished road
    I used a custom made screen from netting masters in Kansas City. Very heavy duty and quiet. Picture looks good to me. Great company, delivered when promised. Cost me 15 bucks to ship. Check out my pics under the golf sim pics thread.

Welcome GOLFINFLA!

If you are concerned about import fees, I can always ship it via post (USPS) with a value of $100 and marked as a gift. I have found most people don't have to pay any or limited customs fees.

If you need a quote, just send me an email to cory@par2pro.com.

PS: I am now working with Costco on a shipping affiliation so that I can bring all of the shipping costs down. We have that ability now, but it is not available on the website yet, so feel free to email me for a shipping quote

Happy Golfing!
    Cory

Quote Originally Posted by GOLFINFLA View Post
    ZMAX you are in Chicago; what are you using and from what company if you don't mind?
    I bought my screen from www.customedesigngolf.com or CDG. It's the $300 screen. Very quiet and no seems. A member here posted that the picture quality is better than the NetMasters screen but might not as durable. I've had it since last fall and no problems yet. My swing speed averages around 95.

Hey Zmax,

I sell those same screens as well (CDG) and they are definitely great as well; however, they are not meant to be used as the sole backstop for real golf balls (as it states in the warning label included).

If you use the screens with a netting back, they are great.

I have compared the image and our HQ material is a little bit better, but the main advantage is that it doesn't need netting in behind it.

I would still love to hear if you are using real balls without an additional backstop and how you have mounted it. If you have any pics of the wear and tear on it, that would be awesome too!

I have attached a pic of the CDG Full Screen impact screen that we used at the PGA show in a practice cage - it worked great! (thought you all might get a kick out of a chef and cowboy swinging at it before the show opened LOL).

Cheers,
    Cory
    Attached Images

Hi Cory,

I have a net behind mine and used real and AlmostGolf balls. I use the Almostgolf balls for my wedges since real balls will launch too high. My cage doesn't come out far enough. I use bungee cords all around. No tie wraps. There is a slight wear in the middle of the screen that looks better if I don't use the simulator for a few days.

I would like to add your HQ screen to my setup but I'm too lazy to hem and put grommets in the screen material.

Thanks for the feedback ZMax!

With that netting in behind the CDG Impact Screen LT works very well.

Take care and Happy Golfing!
    Cory

Sand Wedge GOLFINFLA is on a distinguished road
    I have seen different set ups as for the way the screen is mounted.
    -grommets on top only(bungee cords) with hem at bottom weighted down(not touching floor)
    -grommets all the way around all 4 sides with bungee cords
    -mounted where it touches the floor at the bottom

I want to go the grommets at the top but which method best absorbs at the bottom/sides? I need to know this to determine height/width to buy.

I am leaning towards Cory's HQ since it does not require netting in the rear(I think my black curtains will go around the back too). This one also seems the best quality for watching movies on it as well- yes/no?

Thanks!

Gap Wedge jackhawk is on a distinguished road
    Just bumping for those of us interested in getting a screen. Any updates or new experiences with the screens from Cory or CDG or others that are working well (or not so well) that you would recommend. Are Cory's screens holding up as well as was hoped?

Hybrid fhann is on a distinguished road fhann's Avatar
    My impact screen is in great condition after a full indoor season's use. I purchased the HQ material from Cory and made the screen to my required dimensions. I am very satisfied and highly recommend using the product.
    Engineered Golf - Frank Hann 3.8 GHIN
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

I second that. I have Cory's HQ screen and would also highly recommend it.

Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road
    i had a couple conversations with others looking into using an impact screen for sim and finding a way to get the source material for the cinema screens to display in front when watching HD movides for better picture quality. The cinema screens have gains from 1, 1.5, 2+ which really make the movies look better apparently.

Found this company below that sells the Da-Lite material for custome order without frames / borders. You can get 1.1 gain for $4 sq/ft or 1.5 gain for $6 sq/ft or 1.1 gain with grey (better for 3D cinema) for $6 sq/ft.

Haven't found anything on the impact screens we use but heard they are not even 0.8 gain.

I figure I will be using the sim for practice more often than watching bluerays so maybe an option to get better picture quality for HD is to by this material and just hang then somehow roll it up and hold with velcro to the top when not in use while using impact screen?

Has any either done this or looked into doing this? Thoughts?

has anyone done something similar?

http://www.bigscreencenter.com/Da-Li...stem-s/850.htm

Hey 70s,

Just wanted to follow up to see how the screen is holding up for you.

Have you given it a good work over?

Looking forward to your feedback,
    Cory

5 Iron jagmanjoe is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGolfer View Post
    i had a couple conversations with others looking into using an impact screen for sim and finding a way to get the source material for the cinema screens to display in front when watching HD movides for better picture quality. The cinema screens have gains from 1, 1.5, 2+ which really make the movies look better apparently.

Found this company below that sells the Da-Lite material for custome order without frames / borders. You can get 1.1 gain for $4 sq/ft or 1.5 gain for $6 sq/ft or 1.1 gain with grey (better for 3D cinema) for $6 sq/ft.

Haven't found anything on the impact screens we use but heard they are not even 0.8 gain.

I figure I will be using the sim for practice more often than watching bluerays so maybe an option to get better picture quality for HD is to by this material and just hang then somehow roll it up and hold with velcro to the top when not in use while using impact screen?

Has any either done this or looked into doing this? Thoughts?

has anyone done something similar?

http://www.bigscreencenter.com/Da-Li...stem-s/850.htm
    Why not just mount a regular retractible screen directly in front. They are available in both manual pull down or power. In my video room I have a power retractible screen for watching good stuff with a 50" sitting behind it for everyday viewing. When I want to watch a DVD, football or a special show I just power down the projection screen. Otherwise I am not burning the expensive projector bulb on the news or some generic show I don't care enough to watch on the big screen.

My golf sim is set up in part of the garage with a separate projector. As long as you don't need the absolute latest and greatest (there are plenty out there that do) its fairly easy to find a projector that is a little older with fine image quality for golf sims at a greatly reduced price. Just check the hours on the used projector. Odds are if the bulb is getting near the end of its life, many will virtually sell the projector for junk and the bulbs are not that hard to replace. Lets face it, with the short bulb lives of these projectors, one bulb doesn't do a lot more than burn the main electronics in.

If there are concerns about hitting the rolled up screen just mount a fabric covered foam baffle in front of it.

jagmanjoe - very nice setup, thanks. looking into that. problem is the screens are super super expensive for the image of 12'9 x 8 ft (16:10) granted it will be a little shorter in 16:9 for movies. do you know of any that are reasonable in price for that size? i looked at Da-Lite they seem exensive but not sure if its a function of the size or the company yet. The ones I iniitally saw where way more expensive than the impact screens alone (several thousand finished) but could be looking at the wrong setup needed. Link above seemed cool since i can order the same high quality / high gain cinema screen used in the DaLite fully finished screens with material for 4-6$ sq/ft then find a way to hang it myself verus several thousand $.

Calling all screen owners.

several of us are in the market for new screens and were crossing threads. lets pick up that discussion in the "screen" thread.

We are honestly struggling with a clear succinct metric comparison of each so figure try to get a quick assessment based on your personal expertise in realtime. if all of us just takes a minute to doucment then we can have a vey broad array of options to consdier along with pricing and likes / dislikes...If if you are not int he market now you may be 6 or 12 months from now and this information could be helpful.

anyone who has a screen please submit your thougths below:

Background Q&A
    1) brand and model of current screen
    2) who did you buy it from
    3) size
    4) material desription best you can - solid white, mesh like with holes, see through, solid can't see through, drapery cloth
    5) projector info : xga or wxga, total umens, rough distance projector is from the screen
    6) lighting estimate in your room - black, black except for single light for hitting area, some ambient lite throughout the room, a lot of lite within the room
    6) total price of the screen (material, grommets, di it yourself sewing or bought premade, etc) total total cost of screen

Questions
    1. Overall satisfaction - Nothiing better, excellent, great, good, just ok, not good
    2. Durability satisfaction - Nothiing better, excellent, great, good, just ok, not good
    3. Sim Video satisfaction - Nothiing better, excellent, great, good, just ok, not good
    4. XGA video satisfaction - Nothiing better, excellent, great, good, just ok, not good
    4 HD 720P video staisfaction - Nothiing better, excellent, great, good, just ok, not good
    5. Does light pass through your screen - Alot, Medium, Some, Very Low, None
    6. Noise of driver impacts - very loud explosion, loud bang, moderate thud, muffled / muted, quiet
    7. Do you have anything black hanging behind your screen - yes / no
    8. approximately how far are you viewing the screen in sim mode and movie mode?

Thanks.

Keep it simple. Mine is HQ from Cory and I am happy overall with the cost, durability, noise and image.

bubba22 - curious if you have had other screens and HQ far exceeds others in sim image, movie images, and durability or very happy with first purchase.

7 Iron tahosrfr is on a distinguished road
    Mine was custom made by Netting Masters in Kansas City. I have not seen others first hand to compare it to, but it is heavy duty. They sewed grommets in the top to hang, and a pocket in the bottom to weight it down. My picture looks great from only 8 feet back and its quiet. I still use a separate motorized screen for movies and games cuz I display those in 16:9. Check out their website. My screen is roughly 9x7. They charged me about $425 including shipping. I'll be honest I do not hit real golf balls because I'm afraid of what I would destroy if I shanked one, I use almost balls on a DD. (the room is too nice) but if I had the ability this screen would definately take the abuse of the real thing. BTW the motorized movie screen I used was purchased on EBay from a company in Canada. Its a 100 inches and only cost $130 including shipping.
    GL.

oops sorry, I forgot i posted this same reply back in May.

@ tahosfr

greatly appreciate the feedback. thank you. i will check into Netting Masters also an option.

thinking i may go down a two phased approach. buy the simulator screen first with priority on durability and sim image. it will be good enough for the sim graphics. test the 720P movies, if it looks like my home theater 1080i (same resolution as 720P) screen great. suspect it won't though since their not made to for durability from ball impacts. plus being only 720p and not 1080p that won't help the image quality on a 12.5 x 8 image i think. then second phase if movies look bad then perhaps buy the cinema screen raw material form DaLite (reference post above) which uses it on their high end cinema screens that have 1, 1.5, and 2.5 reflective gains. based on what i found i can get the screen material for 4-6 sq ft which is cheap compared to the several thousand dollars they would charge for a mechanical finished screen for 12.5x8. since i will be using the sim more than cinmea movies then default keep the cinema screen material rolled up and velcro'd to the top with protection. during movies just roll it down in front. just need to find a way to make it taut I think with a temporary/quick solution that is not costly. perhaps have seamstress sew in webbing / gromments and attach temporary bungee on corners while watching since i will have the slotted angle iron on the wall already for the sim screen.

Gap Wedge jackhawk is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the updates. Golfer, you obviously have done a lot of research. Are you leaning towards Cory's HQ, Foresight, or Netting masters? I haven't had much luck finding info on the Forsight screen (referenced on the sims less than $5000 thread). Anyone have a website or additional info on the Foresight screen?

5 Iron jagmanjoe is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGolfer View Post
    @ tahosfr

greatly appreciate the feedback. thank you. i will check into Netting Masters also an option.

thinking i may go down a two phased approach. buy the simulator screen first with priority on durability and sim image. it will be good enough for the sim graphics. test the 720P movies, if it looks like my home theater 1080i (same resolution as 720P) screen great. suspect it won't though since their not made to for durability from ball impacts. plus being only 720p and not 1080p that won't help the image quality on a 12.5 x 8 image i think. then second phase if movies look bad then perhaps buy the cinema screen raw material form DaLite (reference post above) which uses it on their high end cinema screens that have 1, 1.5, and 2.5 reflective gains. based on what i found i can get the screen material for 4-6 sq ft which is cheap compared to the several thousand dollars they would charge for a mechanical finished screen for 12.5x8. since i will be using the sim more than cinmea movies then default keep the cinema screen material rolled up and velcro'd to the top with protection. during movies just roll it down in front. just need to find a way to make it taut I think with a temporary/quick solution that is not costly. perhaps have seamstress sew in webbing / gromments and attach temporary bungee on corners while watching since i will have the slotted angle iron on the wall already for the sim screen.
    If you plan to fashion something in this area, I would suggest you sandwich the screen material between say 3 or 4 inch schedule 40 pvc pipe and a thin piece of aluminum using sheet metal screws. Make sure it is straight across the tube. As an added safety measure, I would then run a thin layer of foam over the aluminum and around the pvc for the first layer. At that point you could roll the screen material up not too tight and the foam overlay would provide a smooth enough surface to prevent wrinkles from forming on the screen material while it is rolled up. When in the down position, the weight of that should help keep the screen material surface relatively smooth without having to stretch it side to side.

Just a quick thought.

Thread Information