CorporateGolfXtra 2024
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    I wonder how much golf Tiger has to bomb until he is unable to make money doing it.
    Maybe then we can get what viewers really want . . . More reality TV!!

I can see his 'dating' show future already: "Tiger, on the prowl!"
    Even I've never heard of me

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post

He fired Hank, he fired Butch. He thought he was above and beyond two of the best teaching coaches in the game of golf. He thought he was above and beyond the game of golf. So why would anyone else want to step up and take their place?

I thought Haney fired Tiger? Completely agree with SGH as well.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    And how do you know this about Mr. Palmer?
    It's no secret. Although, back in the day when it was happening, the golf writers did a nice job keeping it out of the papers. There are stories that they would be listening intently to Arnie's stories of his various conquests, elbowing each other, joking around, and yet none of it ever made it to the papers. They kept his secret.

The industry has certainly changed, eh?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    This isn't about Tiger's infidelity, it's about his play and the exorbinant coverage that he gets. Why drag rumours about Arnie into it?
    Last edited by Kilroy; 08-09-2010 at 08:06 PM.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    This isn't about Tiger's infidelity, it's about his play and the exorbinant coverage he he gets. Why drag rumours about Arnie into it?
    Well, they aren't rumors, Dan.

But you are right, this isn't about infidelity. However, the thread degenerated into how bad of a person Tiger is/was.

Quote Originally Posted by adam781 View Post
    I wonder how much golf Tiger has to bomb until he is unable to make money doing it.
    I'd like you to think about what you said and then decide if you really meant it. Because that is patently ridiculous.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I recall reading about one incident told by Bob Rosburg. That's it. What are your sources?

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    It's no secret. Although, back in the day when it was happening, the golf writers did a nice job keeping it out of the papers. There are stories that they would be listening intently to Arnie's stories of his various conquests, elbowing each other, joking around, and yet none of it ever made it to the papers. They kept his secret.

The industry has certainly changed, eh?
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

I recall reading about one incident told by Bob Rosburg. That's it. What are your sources?
    Players from that time period.

Again, in the world of professional golf, this is not a secret. But then, it's also not talked about because, well, it's not important.

Just like Tiger's problem.

I have studiously avoided talking about Tiger's peccadilloes, not because it isn't important - it is to his sponsors and to those who say him as somehow super-human - but because I have regarded it as unseemly to talk about a matter which should be sorted out between him and his wife. That said, I find it equally unsavoury to try to defend Tiger by attacking Arnie's character.

By the way, have you talked to players "from that time period"? If not, then I would suggest that your information is second, third or fourth hand and suspect. In any event, if you're trying to suggest that Tiger and Arnie are on the same plane when it comes to character, then I could not disagree with you more. All you need do is watch the time and effort that Arnie gives and has given to golf fans and the press. There is no comparison.

Players from that time period.

Again, in the world of professional golf, this is not a secret. But then, it's also not talked about because, well, it's not important.

Just like Tiger's problem.
    Last edited by mpare; 08-09-2010 at 10:11 PM.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

I have studiously avoided talking about Tiger's peccadilloes, not because it isn't important - it is to his sponsors and to those who say him as somehow super-human - but because I have regarded it as unseemly to talk about a matter which should be sorted out between him and his wife.
    I completely agree with you. However, i do find it necessary from time to time to remind those who attack Tiger that they have done things in their life that they are not proud of, and thus should tone it down a little. Unless they're perfect. Glass houses and all...

That said, I find it equally unsavoury to try to defend Tiger by attacking Arnie's character.
    I wasn't really "defending" Tiger; rather, I was attempting to compare the treatment of Tiger and Palmer by the media. Like I said, I am a guy that pulls for Mickelson over Tiger every time. And, it's not like I cheer for Tiger against the rest of the field. But when he throws in a dominating performance, it is unbelievable to watch.

By the way, have you talked to players "from that time period"?
    Yes. One of them is a friend.

If not, then I would suggest that your information is second, third or fourth hand and suspect.
    Well, I guess it WOULD be second-hand, seeing as it doesn't come from Palmer or whatever woman it happened to be that week.

In any event, if you're trying to suggest that Tiger and Arnie are on the same plane when it comes to character, then I could not disagree with you more. All you need do is watch the time and effort that Arnie gives and has given to golf fans and the press. There is no comparison
    In the arena of marriage, they'd be about equal I guess.

When it comes to the other things you mentioned, I'd call it a different era. Different times, different expectations. And certainly, different judgements.

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    Everyone should keep in mind that Tiger doesn't DEMAND all that air time. He has won and produced so many TV moments over the last decade that I don't blame CBS / NBC for being a little Tiger happy. Also, if Jack Nicklaus would of had so much air time, would all of the bitter people out there be singing the same tune? You all need to relax. It's not 80% Tiger coverage and even better yet, Mickelson usually gets the same TV time. Why aren't you complaining?

Bill Wood
    two words - Butch Harmon
    ditto

What does that mean? I never thought of respect for oneself and for others was time sensitive.

When it comes to the other things you mentioned, I'd call it a different era. Different times, different expectations. And certainly, different judgements.

Hybrid TLB is on a distinguished road
    Another two words - who cares

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I have no problem jumping out and saying that last round was some of the most boring afternoons of golf coverage i've ever seen. No chase whatsoever, no final round heroics, no great golf shots, nada. Cheers to Oost for taking it but man was it ever boring.

Your comment about the coaches is completely ridiculous too, get a grip. Thought he was above and beyond the game of golf??? Christ get real, perhaps it just wasn't working for him anymore?

I visit an Amateur Radio forum about 5 times a day and rarely do I see comments with wording like yours.

Add to the fact there is likely about 30,000 more members on that forum and I never see other members saying what you have said about any subject.

Now I know why I rarely visit this forum anymore. As I scroll through the recent threads I do not see many of the posters from a few years ago. I wonder why

The thread is about Tiger, not attacking someone verbally who makes a comment. Is "Free Speech" is not allowed in your small little kingdom?

Check the facts, I am not the first one who said Woods "Thought he was above and beyond the game of golf" Some of the greatest golfers in the history of the game have said the same thing.

As far as the final round of The Open Championship I have to assume you love watching guys try to escape from trouble instead of hitting fairways, and then perfect shots to the greens.

Louis hit some fantastic golf shots on Sunday. Hitting fairways, not driving it in one fairway bunker during the tournament. Fantastic. When Woods did that in 2005 everyone raved about how great his ball striking and course strategy was. But when someone one higher in the World Rankings does it you think it was boring.

Last edited by Golfbum; 08-10-2010 at 08:14 AM.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I PVR'd the golf and watched it when I got home mostly following Tiger to see how he's doing. Wow does his game ever suck right now, not only on the technical side of things but he looks completely disinterested and bored. I don't think i saw Stevie give him any advice or help during the round and he was playing so quickly. I think he needs a new coach pronto!
    Just so that you know people, this is what this thread is supposed to be about. (I count myself as one of those who lost sight of the original thread topic).

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    I visit an Amateur Radio forum about 5 times a day and rarely do I see comments with wording like yours.

Add to the fact there is likely about 30,000 more members on that forum and I never see other members saying what you have said about any subject.

Now I know why I rarely visit this forum anymore. As I scroll through the recent threads I do not see many of the posters from a few years ago. I wonder why

The thread is about Tiger, not attacking someone verbally who makes a comment. Is "Free Speech" is not allowed in your small little kingdom?

So...no one is allowed to have opinions anymore?

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    So...no one is allowed to have opinions anymore?
    "One often contradicts an opinion when what is uncongenial is really the tone in which it was conveyed."

Friedrich Nietzsche
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I'll be the bigger man! Golfbum your post is ludicrous, i didn't agree with you so you act like what i had to say was slanderous?? This is a public golf forum where expressions will be questioned.
    Last edited by John; 08-10-2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Dancing in the rain makes my nipples hard.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    As nokids attempted to illustrate with his quote, it's not the opinions expressed it's the tone used to express them.

This thread has been going downhill and can't seem to get back on topic so.... Closed.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Thread Information