CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Square Driver

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road

Square Driver

Here's something I was curious about...

Does anyone use a square driver with a simulator? If so, how do you find the accuracy? I don't have a square driver, but after looking into them it seems the main purpose of the square shape is to reduce sidespin, so that the club path has less of an effect on the ball flight. Apparently they fly very straight, so if you have an open face the ball will generally go straight to the right (it is hard for the path to impart a draw).

Because most simulators we discuss don't detect actual ball spin, I would think that square drivers wouldn't come up too accurately in the software. I'd be interested to hear whether anyone has feedback on that. If so, maybe a new option needs to be added to 3DD/GSA Golf/etc. to specify a "square" driver in club setup. When that is done, the side spin could be reduced accordingly.

As I said, this is just something I was curious about. (I'm procrastinating from work so my mind was wandering to golf topics of course!)

Lob Wedge lazybum is on a distinguished road
    I'm just now putting together my set up with the DD, which doesn't do well with drivers to begin with. I have a Callaway FT-iQ, which is a square driver, and tried it last night but had poor results with the Optishot even picking up the swing and when it did I got wildly varying results. It did great with my Ping G15 4W, though, and I was able to replicate my usual driver stats using it and leaving the club setting on driver in the software.

I don't know if it had anything to do with the square shape of the Callaway or not. I was hitting the Callaway off the tee as it's just too big to hit straight off the turf. The G15 I am able to hit straight off the turf, so that may explain the difference in success given the Optishot's known limitations there.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    I never liked concept of hitting the driver of the deck with the optishot. In real life you would not hit it of the deck and I think it can screw up your game. The p3pro allows you to tee it up high and hits with amazing accuracy. Just be careful hittin off the deck with the driver.

yeah, I'm eventually going to get the p3pro with the camera for the launch data, maybe when they have their next big sale that seems to happen every once in a while (and on certain holidays). Until then I'm assembling all the other pieces of the setup and using the DD.

I definitely won't be hitting the driver off the turf. I'd never do it on the course and I'll never do it on the sim. The 4W has a nice shallow face and is something I'll hit off the turf on par 5's, so it actually is beneficial for me to continue using it as my "driver" on the sim. When I tee up for the 4W on the course I tee it low, anyway, so I shouldn't develop any bad habits with that.

Smart move.

3 Wood cvclub is on a distinguished road
    I have the square Cally fti and it works great w/DD. I also use a Mizuno MX AND IT IS THE NEW TRIANGULER shape and it too works fine with DD!

That's incredible. I have had no luck with any of my drivers. They are all very inconsistent. I have tried the r7, Adams Speedline and the Tour Edge Exotic drivers.

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    Callaway Ft-3 also works well.

are you guys teeing it up or hitting straight off the turf?

I can't get my FT IQ to pick up off the tee very well and I refuse to hit it off the turf. I'm still having good success hitting my Ping 4W off the turf and just leaving the Optishot setting on driver...though I'm still getting some drives that go too far for my real game. It simulates my typical misses on direction well, though.

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    I'm using brush tees with my Callaway FT-3 at all heights with no problems.

3 Wood cvclub is on a distinguished road
    I use real tees.....2 1/4 or so.......I did have to tweak all my drivers using the clubset options but they hit fine. One thing I have noticed is that if you simply pass the club thru the sensors slow motion it does not seem to register properly. Once you swing normal speed though everything seems great.........sometimes I will purposely swing inside out or vice versa and then hold the face open or closed to see if DD records it correctly.....and for me it works great!

FYI, I stopped in at the new HQ in Traverse City and it looks great! I also was told that they are experimenting with some new turf......I hope so because my buddies seem to have difficulty w/the tight lie and it tears way too easily.

Amazing that you few guys xan get the dd to read your drivers well. Mine is very dissapointing with the woods.

Anything new on the RnD side of dd cvclub?

Thread Information